AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Conversation Between Triple_R and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 101 to 110 of 482
  1. Triple_R
    2014-10-04 18:29
    Just so you know, I don't see any particular problem with your Top 5 list. I see some good quality in your list, and I'd be fine recommending any show on your Top 5 list that I've watched (I haven't seen Moon Phase yet).

One thing I've become more aware of over the past year or so is how very subjective taste in anime is, especially when it comes to personal favorites.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some anime shows display more effort and attention to detail than some other anime shows - think of shows with a lot of QUALITY animation, or lots of plot holes at a writing level - but that this "polish" distinction, shall we say, has minimal impact on what we like best. It can break ties, but that's about it.

And whatever else can be said about your list, it does show a fair bit of polish. Hyouka, ef, and SSY all have considerable polish. Bake has severe issues in later episodes, but in the early going, it also displayed considerable polish.

I also find, over time, that the most important thing to me is, in fact, characters. As much as I love good storytelling, a show most have at least one character that really resonates with me in order for it to be an all-time favorite (each of my Top 5 is like that - for Madoka Magica, its much of the cast and especially Sayaka; for El Hazard it's the main villain Jinnai; for Love Live!, its much of the cast and especially Honoka; for Nanoha and Haruhi its the titular characters).

I suspect, though am not 100% sure, that much the same is true for you, and that each of your Top 4/5 shows has at least one character that really resonates with you. And that sort of thing is a very subjective thing.

I tend to identify with very emotionally expressive (often to the point of theatrical), colorful, heroic-seeming, optimistic, and highly determined characters.

I get the impression that you identify with a subtle but charming, just slightly off (in a good way) eccentricity, in a quirky yet relateable character. That is something that SHAFT is really good at, so it's not surprising that SHAFT shows do so well in your Top 5.
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-03 18:12

Terraformers: I'm probably not the best person to ask to evaluate grim, crapsack world shows with old school sensibilities, but man did it ever feel like this show and its characters were trying to take themselves super seriously. It was like the anime equivalent of drinking a flat soda. IMO, of course.

Denki-gai no Honya-san: About the staff of a doujin shop in Akihabara, many of whom seem to be cute girls. Mostly pretty bad (a couple of the jokes felt kind of creepy just because of the kinds of doujins being referenced, but gets some points for the interactions that occur when one of the guys visits one of the girls - who, it turns out, is actually one of his favourite doujin authors - in order to help her meet her comiket deadline. She comes across as kind of Kuroneko would be like if she grew up into the kind of person who doesn't have much fun (aka frumpy and grumpy) and the "maybe they like each other" interactions are actually kind of cute. Can't see sticking with it unless it drastically improves or this season really stinks though.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken: About a women who doesn't get her otaku husband. I actually like the concept behind this but the dynamics between them kill it. She marries not because she likes him but just "to get married" basically - and he's so self absorbed and exhibits so many bad otaku traits I still feel sorry for her. Which might be intentional but it takes a lot of the fun out of the concept. Might keep watching for a bit because it's only a few minutes per episodes and I'm wondering if the character dynamics will improve over time.

Yeah, can't say I'm too impressed so far although I'm hopefully for the stuff still coming down the pipe.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-09-30 15:03
    So I tried to come up with a personal top ten list, but that seemed hard. But that was hard so I decided to try and do a personal top five. Which is still hard because I can't decided whether I liked Shin Sekai Yori enough to overcome by nostalgia for and tendency to fanboy about Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

But the four shows that easily made the cut were... three Shaft shows (Moon Phase, EF: A Tale of Memories and Bakemonogatari) and Hyouka.

I feel like there's a witty self-deprecating quip that needs to be made here but I can't quite place it.
  4. Triple_R
    2014-06-26 19:33
    I've been enjoying Brynhildr all the way through - It's not one of my top tier shows of the Spring 2014 season, but it's been a solid keeper - But I do see what you're saying. Thinking back on it, I did take the show pretty seriously in its first half, but have found it harder to do so over the last few episodes.

The show has built up a pretty good narm charm identity, in my view, but it probably could have been more tense and gripping if it had wanted to be. It's kind of like a Hollywood movie that could have been A-list but sort of settles for being an above average B-list popcorn flick.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-06-26 02:38
    Wrote this on Pocari's wall, interested if you've been feeling the same way:

Brynhildr was looking like 2014 favourites list material for me and still might end up there but the second half definitely hasn't matched up to the first... the first half had some really tense moments that reminded me of why Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu remains on my all time favourites list after so long. However, a couple recent "wham" moments just came across as, uh... ham fisted and flat. And it really drags the show down.
    Also... Infinite Stratos's first season, Unbreakable Machine Doll and now Seikoku no Dragonar - apparently, the only thing it take to make me like fanservicy action harems with so-so plots is for the main character to have decent chemistry with the blonde. And I'm not even that attracted to blondes in real life.
  6. Triple_R
    2014-05-24 22:06
    I think that you and your girlfriend as Tsumugu and Chisaki would work great, actually. Well, as long as you can develop a decent poker face (if you don't already have one). Please share with me a pic of the two of you once you do that cosplay. I know I haven't responded to your most recent cosplay pics and con updates, but I do read them, and find them nicely informative.

I'm glad to know you achieved good marks.
  7. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-05-24 03:35
    Finished the year with decent marks, now doing some program related volunteer work to bolster my resume - there's still a chance I may land a summer job but it's kind of slim, I would've thought I'd have heard back by now.

I haven't been on AS much because there hasn't been much schoolwork to procrastinate on. Been spending more time going to events, playing multiplayer games (and practice matches) etc. Also, I cannot believe how utterly horrible I am about getting up and going in the morning when I don't actually have to be up for something. If I actually do get around to trying to work on my novel this summer, it's going to take a lot more discipline then I've mustered so far.

My girlfriend convinced me I should try to - or rather, let her try and put together a Tsumugu cosplay to go with her Chisaki. I suppose I may need to rope my brother into taking some photos. I may also need to get a wig - I have brown hair but I don't want to grow it out that long.
  8. Triple_R
    2014-05-22 13:51
    Long time, no hear. Been busy lately? Things going well, I hope?
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-11 00:35
    I think that highlighting your actual concerns there was a good call... the discussion really did need some refocusing IMO.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-10 23:09
    Gochuumen wa Usagi Desu Ka? is a wonderful show. At least if you're into the moe-moe slice of life comedu schtick it's aiming for.