AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Dr. Casey
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 219
  1. Triple_R
    2014-06-28 19:30
    Triple_R
    Thanks a lot! Three nice pics, and three excellent selections. The Rozen Maiden reboot and Free! were definitely two of the more memorable anime shows of last summer. And Little Busters! was one of my favorite anime shows of the entire year, with one of the most colorful and likeable anime casts I've ever seen!

But you're right, between Selector-Infected WIXOSS and Love Live!, this year might be even better.

I'll try to get back to you soon on your last PM to me by the way.
  2. Dr. Casey
    2014-06-28 19:19
    Dr. Casey
    Happy birthday, Triple! I'll get you three birthday cakes in your honor that commemorate this past year.

Spoiler:

And 33 will be even better than 32 was, due to selector spread WIXOSS and all.

Hope you've had a great day and that the upcoming year will be a good one.
  3. Dr. Casey
    2014-03-21 19:16
    Dr. Casey
    Quote:
    Oh well, they would make a cute couple if Sayu can get some anger management counseling, so I hope it works out between them.
    rofl, you almost sound as though you're lightly trolling here. Thanks for the backup After being countered by about four people or so, I was starting to get a little irritated.
  4. Triple_R
    2014-02-10 22:19
    Triple_R
    I've done a bit more of that fanfic I recently e-mailed to you. It's gone a bit longer than I had initially anticipated, which is why it's taking a bit of extra time.

Anyway, I just e-mailed the 3-chapter complete update to you. I look forward to getting your take on it. ^_^
  5. Dr. Casey
    2014-01-05 16:22
    Dr. Casey
    Deleted about six PMs to clear up some space.
  6. Dr. Casey
    2014-01-01 15:20
    Dr. Casey
    Cut my PMs down to 238
  7. Triple_R
    2014-01-01 08:58
    Triple_R
    There is a PM I want to send you. It involves a Valvrave/Madoka Magica discussion. I think you might be interested. But it means you need to delete a PM first, lol.
  8. Triple_R
    2013-12-31 01:08
    Triple_R
    Those are good and interesting observations. You're right that for a futuristic setting with a fully functional Dyson Sphere (of all things!) they seem oddly low-tech in many ways.

This is a fairly consistent failing of a lot of anime mecha shows though - The military tech is incredible, but almost nothing else is. It does seem pretty bad when you compare it to Star Trek (transporters, food replicators, holodecks, etc...), or to an anime like Accel World.

I suppose the (likely unintentional) Aesop here is that having superpower nations having a constant war footing with each other leads to so much science and technology going into military advancement alone, which obviously is much less good for civilian populations than advancements in everyday electronics, medical technology, etc...

In any event, your VM gives me a new appreciation for Accel World, since I think it does an uniquely good job of showing truly futuristic tech that's both wondrous and slightly alien (to our own lives) but also fairly believable.
  9. Dr. Casey
    2013-12-30 23:44
    Dr. Casey
    It was the former. The main issue I was complaining about was that Valvrave's technological level seemed too low on the whole considering that it presumably takes place hundreds of years in the future. There's a few futuristic flourishes here and there, mostly for flavor (The Dyson Sphere, living on other planets, etc)... but the everyday life of someone living in Valvrave's world really isn't that much different from someone living in today's world, unless you happen to be a mecha pilot. Looking around my bedroom, about half the things I see didn't exist a few hundred years ago (the laptop I'm typing this on, my PC, my wireless router, my smart phone, my electric fan, my lava lamp, my deodorant, the pair of batteries lying on the dresser...), and likewise there should be hundreds of years in the future a variety of minor and moderately important 'new things' weaving themselves throughout daily life that don't exist in any capacity today.

Valvrave doesn't really have much of that, it's closer to "Well, we built really cool robots, but otherwise we've all had our fingers up our asses these past five or six centuries and progressed in only a few other areas." There were some very big changes to Valvrave's world (the Dyson Sphere being the most obvious, and the spacefaring stuff with fighting robots and all), but though there were a few 'big picture' futuristic elements, there wasn't much care given to the smaller details. I had to roll my eyes at the wedding at the end of the last episode, where that camera was at a 75% charge (with the implication, I suppose, being that the event drained the battery by a quarter). Half a millennium into the future, and battery capacities haven't improved at all? I was being sarcastic whenever I said in that one post a couple weeks back that I half-expected Akira to be shown using a Windows 8, but that video recorder thing actually comes pretty fucking close to that.

But I'm sure that most science fiction stories which take place in the distant future are largely grounded in present day technologies and lifestyles simply to make them more relatable to the audience. My griping probably wasn't entirely fair, and I didn't really feel like defending myself against anyone that might've argued against me, so I deleted the post maybe 60 seconds after submitting it.
  10. Triple_R
    2013-12-30 21:01
    Triple_R
    The Valvrave post you deleted on the Overall Series Rating thread... Was it you bitching about the show, or was it you bitching about people bitching about the show?

In the immortal words of Eru Chitanda, "I'm curious!"

Just so you know, I'd be sympathetic to either form of bitching.