AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 421
  1. Last Sinner
    Yesterday 03:34
    Last Sinner
    Citrus actually climbed to #4 on the US chart. Amazing.
  2. Last Sinner
    2015-04-28 07:47
    Last Sinner
    I felt you would probably appreciate this. Made me smile for about 10 seconds.
  3. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 12:38
    Last Sinner
    The title in question is Gundam Recognuista. Even Tomino admits he got this wrong big time. But Nico Nico are tearing him to pieces over it.

On things differentiating from the norm, it's something My Love Story does on such a simple point. Almost any romance title takes the entirety of its existence for the two in question to finally become a couple. My Love Story settles that so quickly it's refreshing - not to mention that it's gone down well in a country that normally shuns relatively quick resolution for the intiial phase of romance. So there are a few things changing. Also a year where a game like Huniepop was accepted onto and received well overall on Steam. Apparently JAST USA is intending to do business with Steam now, so shall be interesting to see what appears on Steam as a result. (Yeah, I am SO hoping Seinarukana is one of them)

By the way, how did your progression on Huniepop go?
  4. Triple_R
    2015-04-25 08:46
    Triple_R
    Quote:

So...what's the deal with healing? Is it meant to be relief from the real world after hard days at work and/or an outlet for the socially reclusive?
    Yes, pretty much. That's a very good nutshell explanation of it. "Healing anime" tends to be very sentimental and emotional. It's focused more on human relationships and daily living than specific themes or concepts (like in Sci-Fi) or complex plots. I like some healing anime myself, but I like to compliment it with shows that are more dramatic, intense, action-packed, and
    thought-provoking. In fairness to Tomino, "healing anime" can be a bit limiting for a director/writer, so I get his complaint. What was his recent botched project, by the way?

Great to hear that a Milk Morinaga-like manga is selling very well! I honestly think the potential readership/viewership for this sort of mature/realistic yuri content is underestimated by the publishers and producers and corporate types. Some people like a sort of yuri-tease, but many are getting tired of it, and definitely would like more stories like Girl Friends.

Thanks for the compliment on my taste. It's good to know that you and I and some other people want a fuller yuri that goes beyond just silly tease and *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* sort of content.
  5. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 04:40
    Last Sinner
    Pleasant surprise I just saw on the New York Best Sellers list.

Citrus volume 2 is #7 on the list - aka both volumes released so far have made the top 10 at some point. A miracle if you consider everything else on the list...

How about it. A title focusing on a yuri relationship under relatively normal circumstances can sell. Maybe Milk Morinaga did achieve positive change with Girl Friends.

Wish I knew these people with taste and decency...

Oh wait, you're one, that's a start.
  6. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 02:13
    Last Sinner
    Wanted to ask something about something I read today.

Apparently Tomino made a real clown of himself with his latest botched project. When he spoke about why he was trying to do what he did (but lost sight of the story in the process), he said he was tired about alomost all anime being about cute girls and/or 'healing'.

So...what's the deal with healing? Is it meant to be relief from the real world after hard days at work and/or an outlet for the socially reclusive?
  7. Last Sinner
    2015-04-22 09:11
    Last Sinner
    Yurikuma Arashi would be the most recent example.

Notably, looking through titles people considered to have yuri subtext, there were a reasonable amount that weren't violent. But the more popular ones that have it are violent.

And yeah, your point on K-ON - Free really is the gender-swapped version, isn't it. Back in the days of Junjou Romantica and Gravitation, it was glam then as well, but it was dramatic. So I guess the trends have reversed. Although yuri is going darker in comparison. Not sure if something like Utena ever went that dark, so it really feels that Madoka set the trend.
  8. Triple_R
    2015-04-22 08:19
    Triple_R
    Well, Akuma no Riddle certainly supports your idea.

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou is rather cruel to its most clear-cut yuri characters.

Kancolle made a creative decision that might not have been made if not for Madoka Magica...

There's still some soft/cushy yuri shows like Sakura Trick, but yeah, on the whole, I think your idea is correct. Yuri has become significantly more violent/cruel.

I haven't watched a lot of yaoi, but Free! is a lot more soft/cushy than No. 6 was. Those are probably the two most yaoi-esque shows I've watched over the past few years, and Free! is the more recent one. So your friend and you might have the right idea there to.

I think what's happened is two things:

1. Madoka Magica popularized (or re-popularized) "tragic yuri". You could maybe even call it "crying games yuri".

2. K-On! has been very influential, and has even helped inspire shows that are close to gender-swapped versions of it. Hence more soft/cushy yaoi (subtext).
  9. Last Sinner
    2015-04-22 01:12
    Last Sinner
    Friend and I had a conversation last night and we came to a conclusion about something. Wanted your opinion on it, if you could.

Do you think that post-Madoka, in general, titles with significant yuri context have become significantly more violent/cruel while those with yaoi context have come signficantly more soft/cushy?
  10. Last Sinner
    2015-04-20 00:18
    Last Sinner
    Apologies for not replying sooner despite sending PMs about other things and commenting further in that thread.

Well - your thread was the only one in that sub-forum that held any interest for me, so, figured I might as well say something.

I have acquired new headphones as of a few days ago, so I plan to get back into watching anime again very soon, but at present, some IRL stuff is very time-consuming and watching anime newly under those circumstances isn't the best of ideas.

That said, I have gone back through a bit of Azumanga Daioh and Akagi to get me back in the right mindset.