AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 101 to 110 of 415
  1. Triple_R
    2014-05-25 09:45
    Triple_R
    I'm actually getting tired of superhero movies now. Back around when Tobey Maguire was playing Spider-Man, they were great. Very exciting. Wonderful to see these beloved characters of my kid/teenage years on the big screen.

But Marvel is seriously overdoing it, and DC is getting overly desperate in playing catch-up. Marvel is probably simply running out of good ideas for these movies, and it's probably starting to show.

And while I loved X-Men as a kid, and the first couple of X-Men movies, the franchise has almost always been a bit too dependent on a few key characters (Xavier, Wolverine, Cyclops, Magneto). And yeah, the female character side of the franchise could definitely use some work. Maybe more Emma Frost would have helped.

Thanks for your recent anime recommendations, by the way.
  2. Last Sinner
    2014-05-25 09:33
    Last Sinner
    So I saw a thread discussing a time travel theme for the local convention.

12 hours later, not a single person had mentioned Steins;Gate.....

I sometimes wonder what on earth people look for in what they watch anymore.

Speaking of Steins;Gate - the new X-Men movie blatantly rips off the D-mail method of time travel, uses Rogue's abilities as an excuse and uses it sub-par to boot. It was nowhere near as bad as the recent Spiderman movie, but....it was still lacking. There were effectively no female characters (either all appearing for about 1-2 minutes or Mystique/Raven being labelled as the reason for everything going to hell when it was freaking Xavier and Magneto being arses in general that screwed everything up), there was eff all conflict/everyone suddenly agreed/accepted Wolverine's claims far too easily and the ending was reboot everyone to keep this franchise going at least a decade longer. *sigh* As for why I went, mother demanded it...*shrug*
  3. Last Sinner
    2014-05-20 09:46
    Last Sinner
    So, how have you been, R3?

I've been snowed down in assignments and preparing for AVCon, so I've been quiet of late.

Was in a bit of a block after finishing Steins;Gate but started Simoun tonight.
  4. Last Sinner
    2014-04-09 08:50
    Last Sinner
    The main point of frustration for me this week was Irregular at High School Magic. That first episode was slow, bland and cut out a key scene from the start of the manga. The sister has a magic battle and utterly owns face. It's crucial in establishing a sense of equality between the two siblings and that the sister isn't just a mere brother-lover. But within a few minutes, I could tell those adapting this title are keen on cutting her down and making the brother look superior from the get go. Not to mention removing the shounen/action aspect, which was essential in keeping things interesting in the manga amidst the info dumps. I expected a few adaptations to go wrong, but this was one I thought they wouldn't botch. Guess I was wrong, but better wrong about this than other titles I'm sticking with.

Your instincts were right. This adaptation is going right for the fetishes and the tropes. A real shame.
  5. Triple_R
    2014-04-09 08:41
    Triple_R
    Thanks for the info. Well, to be fair, it did have an interesting first episode. I actually liked the bit where the girl got her knee stuck in the drain and almost died. It's strange, sure, but it's also pretty different, so I liked that scene.

I will be sticking with Brynhildr for at least the three-episode try. Kuroneko does show a lot of promise.
  6. Last Sinner
    2014-04-09 08:36
    Last Sinner
    R3, for the record, the reason people compared Brynhildr to Elfen Lied is because they have the same author in their original manga form.
  7. Last Sinner
    2014-04-08 09:21
    Last Sinner
    Okay, my thoughts on April.

Potentially going to be the best season in years.

However, those three titles you listed first - I didn't click with them at all. Akuma no Riddle actually creeped me out big time.

What I did like:

One Week Friends
    Mushishi S2
    Rowdy Wrestler Sumo Matsutaro
    Brynhildr
    The World is Still Beautiful

What disappointed me:

Irregular at Magic High School
    Akuma no Riddle
    Mangaka-san to Assistant-san

Kindaichi I'm also going to investigate. Knights of Sidonia is on Friday, that's the other one I needed to check out.

The last time I truly liked a season was April 2010. If those 5 shows as well as Kindaichi stay good, this will be one heck of a season.
  8. Last Sinner
    2014-04-07 22:27
    Last Sinner
    Later tonight I will. I got new headphones last night but night class left me unable to watch anything. I've got tests on Thursday and Friday which I need to study for. It's about 1pm here now, so, I guess I will in about 7-8 hours then give you my thoughts.
  9. Triple_R
    2014-04-07 19:27
    Triple_R
    I'm slowly making my way through the new Spring 2014 shows.

I liked the first episodes for WIXOSS, Captain Earth, and Akuma no Riddle. All three have very nice/stylish visuals, so at least I'll be in for a good visual treat even if the stories don't hold up that well.

I'm loving the Love Live! sequel, as its pretty much just what I want in a more upbeat show.

I'll be checking out Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei later tonight.

Any shows you want to recommend? I'm open to a suggestion or two, at least.
  10. Last Sinner
    2014-04-07 10:48
    Last Sinner
    Well....they actually did it...

21-1....