Fascinating wall discussion between you and Archon_Wing. I hope you won't mind me jumping in on it a bit.
I agree with you that each gender has its own distinct dark side. And I also agree that knowing this is very useful.
This may surprise you, since you know that I'm a moe fan, but I also largely agree that moe is pretty divorced from modern reality. That's actually partly why I like it - It's easily imaginable, but I don't think it exists to any significant degree in real life. So that makes it unique escapist fantasy.
The person behind Spice and Wolf had managed to get a game related to it - World End Economica - to be on the Greenlight section of Steam. If enough people support it, the game will be made available on Steam in 3 installments.
It's like I've said in the PMs, man. People don't care about content or writing anymore - it doesn't sell. It's stuff like what happens in IS2 that sells. It's sad because Charlotte had a point and some brilliant moments in S1. Hell, S1 was watchable at least...swear that the writer knew he could stretch it out SAO styles and just do whatever to make it last forever. Hell, the whole damn school will probably be his harem by the time the author ends it...It's the reverse of Nasu. Nasu is proof you can have some merchandise moments but have an utterly awesome work around them. You can pick the one person, you can make the audience make a choice. But, you know, most writers will take the easy way out and let everyone have the cake.
It is possible to write well as well as mix in merchandise moments. I get that merchandise moments are the point of anime now. But they shouldn't be the whole damn show. I can't say that any show this season - hell, almost any show this year - isn't anything but merchandise moments. You ask me what I'd want to remember from 2013? Chihayafuru S2. That's it.
*shrug* I'll just did what I did after 2011 - hope that 2012 was a better year. And it was. So time to hope 2014 will have a few shows to take away friom it. Not that I'll run out of old shows any time soon. But it'd be nice to actually like the current stuff to some extent.
Just so you know, I've decided to drop IS2. You're right about that show. My sentiments are very similar to what Tempester wrote below. Charlotte is a very nice character, but the weaker aspects of the other haremettes are starting to rub off on her, and it's sad to see. And after watching the likes of Valvrave and Majestic Prince, the mecha action in IS just isn't enough to keep me interested.
1. I finally have glasses again as of Friday, so my sanity gradually returned to me.
2. Pocari was apparently playing Tera and Guild Wars 2. *shrug*
3. Avatar is Elizabeth from Persona 3 and Persona 4: Arena. Signature is Quinn, the newest champ in League of Legends that came out on Saturday.
4. Reasonable. But a week of being near immobile hasn't been good for me. Now that my glasses are back, I'm going to have to get active again.
5. Well...what can I say...this is why I can't stand message boards, talking anime and sometimes people in general lately. Level of discussion not just here - anywhere - is becoming rather pathetic. And when I see someone in Suggestions to give some advice to, a certain elder statesman around here sees fit to antagonise me and discourage people from a good deal of what I recommend. Really disgusts me that person is like that. Seeing the wannabe go after you tonight was the last straw. Someone had to take a stand. I can't stand people being enabled to be elitist pricks and no one does a damn thing.