AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 281 to 290 of 360
  1. Last Sinner
    2011-11-16 22:39
    Last Sinner
    Well - you know the deal. You pick 1, I pick 2. You first. ^^
  2. Last Sinner
    2011-11-15 11:15
    Last Sinner
    Didn't hit the two I have in mind.

Last Exile has been #1 on my list since mid-2003. In over 8 years, nothing has toppled it. At present, I'm watching a show that is likely to topple its long reign. I'm pretty certain you haven't watched it. And I'm picking this show because it is easily the best writing I've ever come across. My second one is one that has a very unique scenario and very solid writing/storytelling.
  3. Triple_R
    2011-11-15 10:57
    Triple_R
    Annnd... you didn't hit it.

Don't worry, I'm not a sadist, even with a sports wager. The show I intend to get you to watch is an all-time favorite of mind. I actually haven't decided on a 2nd show yet, but I'll aim for quality with it as well if necessary.

My block list:

Welcome to the NH
    Elfen Lied
    Kimi ni Todoke
    Kurenai
    Paranoia Agent
    Samurai Champloo
    Genshiken (1st season)

Basically, I just took anime shows listed on your AS favorites list that I'm not in the mood for watching and/or are of a genre I'm not fond of (try to avoid horror and harem comedy if you can). In Kurenai's case, it just didn't click with me. In Kimi ni Todoke's case, it just lost my interest after awhile (too slow for my liking).

So, we're agreed on the wager. Good luck to your pick as well.
  4. Last Sinner
    2011-11-15 10:23
    Last Sinner
    K, share yours with me in turn.

Bakemonogatari
    Arakawa Under the Bridge
    Shana (all seasons)
    Baccano
    Durarara
    Darker Than Black (Both seasons)
    SZS (all seasons)
    Ouran Host High School Club
    Dance in the Vampire Bund
    AnoHana

Those 10 series and any sequel series are my nominated blocks. I await yours.

Shows I've seen in full are listed here.

If that show you're keen to make me see is anything but AnoHana or Shana, I might be convinced to give it one more try but I wouldn't be thrilled. The two shows I have in line - the one sure one in particular due to the result spoils - are designed to be in line with your most recent blog post. I'm not going to make you watch crap. I have something good planned. So I hope you have something similar in mind.
  5. Triple_R
    2011-11-15 10:08
    Triple_R
    There's one particular show I'd be curious to get your take on. Should you not "hit it" on your block list, I think I'll take you up on your wager. So please share your block list with me now.
  6. Last Sinner
    2011-11-15 05:56
    Last Sinner
    Care to make a friendly wager on the ISML Grand Final?

You're on Shana's side, I'm on Mikoto's.

The backer of the winner gets to pick two series the loser has to watch/try at least five episodes of. The loser picks one the winner has to watch/try at least five episodes of. This way, there's something to gain for both sides.

Series to be watched mustn't be ones either of us have seen in full. We can also nominate ten shows we will block the other from picking to prevent the element of being made to watch something we truly dislike. Any show nominated will have all seasons/series of it blocked.

Either way, good luck to your pick in the Grand Final.
  7. Last Sinner
    2011-11-12 10:37
    Last Sinner
    Well...where do I begin....

1. The series itself is the definition of 'Do the absolute minimum required to trick the viewer into thinking enough happened for the episode to be worthwhile.' It is so painfully slow, so dull - any time I ever spent checking this series out is time I desperately wish I could have back.

2. J.C. Staff. intentionally scrimp on the aesthetics. They could make it look better - but they don't. They budget for mediocrity.

3. I can't stand Rie Kugimiya's voice. Need I say more about how I feel about her or any other character? As for Shana the character herself, very simple, snappy, service target. The list goes on. I get people say she grows up at some point. But I don't care. She's merely more than a whiny brat to me. Furthermore, you're the only person I've ever heard to call Shana a feminist. Nearly every Shana fan I know IRL likes her for lolicon reasons...and lolicon reasons only! Therein lies a big problem I have! A lot of people don't care about the fact Shana the character in full! Only that she's a loli that looks cute to them!

4. The battles were pretty generic. Honestly, potentially cool concept/world design made very flat. Side characters I just didn't care about. Just more underwhelming. Then there's scenes like the one in Episode 4 where Shana was changing and Yuji walked in. Someone of Shana's age being shown in that way is sickening.

5. I know a good deal of Shana fans.The thing is, a considerable number of the ones I've met - they are near impossible to get along with. They only talk about moe and lolis. Not just in anime - in ANYTHING. You can't talk to them about everyday life, current events, music, sport or whatever. They only care about things that are cute, are RieKu and loli. They'll shove their graphic merchandise in your face and be super hostile if they don't like your response. They'll play their fave music from shows like that and listen to nothing else. They don't watch any other type of anime. And really, perhaps that is the biggest problem I have with Shana. There's too many people that like her that get warped into lolicons and people you just can't be around in public because they'll say something that is completely out of line/the worst thing they could say in that situation, but they don't care. Heck, there's a 44 year-old guy I know of that only likes pre-teen characters/material only - and he started from Shana. He then moved on to 6 year olds and below...It's sickening...

7. Could you honestly talk about this show to the average, everyday person or show it to them? I don't think so...

It comes down to the show and the behaviour/hostility of a significant proportion of the Shana fandom. It creeps me out. I know not all Shana fans are like that. But some of the fandom is just utterly vile.

And for the record...I'm not that keen on Railgun either. I hate Kuroko in particular. But I genuinely think Mikoto is a good character - surrounded by a stale cast otherwise.
  8. Triple_R
    2011-11-12 02:49
    Triple_R
    Why do you hate Shana so much? I truly don't get it. Especially with you being very pro-feminist.
  9. Triple_R
    2011-11-09 23:30
    Triple_R
    Guess I was right about Shana being one of the best bets for taking down Kanade, eh?
  10. Last Sinner
    2011-11-09 11:30
    Last Sinner
    I have no idea what their stance is. Last year, when Ore no Imouto was the big craze, all of their reviewers didn't write anything about it at all. There was also the leaked epsiode fiasco with their streaming, which then got cancelled. Then a month ago, one of their reviewers writes an incredibly positive review, as if to make up for their shunning it for so long. They're a weird bunch.

You'd think that its different tack would mean that, but Carlo Santos is an anti-otaku, ant-moe, righteous ranter master of the time. Recently he called the 2nd Eden of the East movie virtual perfection and that all otaku should wake up. He comes across very high-strung and offensive. He only talks positively about SHAFT and anti-otaku shows. He's one weird character. He seems to be their call guy for controversial material.

I know it's just one place on the Net, but when there's not many places to find decent info in the West, there's bound to be reasonable traffic there. And several companies do streaming via them, so they matter in some way. Hence my anger at such a bitter, cringe-worthy review. My mentor who is normally immune to anything said it was the most painful review he had ever read and had insulted/misrepresented the online anime community in the West.