AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 31 to 40 of 444
  1. Triple_R
    2015-04-22 08:19
    Triple_R
    Well, Akuma no Riddle certainly supports your idea.

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou is rather cruel to its most clear-cut yuri characters.

Kancolle made a creative decision that might not have been made if not for Madoka Magica...

There's still some soft/cushy yuri shows like Sakura Trick, but yeah, on the whole, I think your idea is correct. Yuri has become significantly more violent/cruel.

I haven't watched a lot of yaoi, but Free! is a lot more soft/cushy than No. 6 was. Those are probably the two most yaoi-esque shows I've watched over the past few years, and Free! is the more recent one. So your friend and you might have the right idea there to.

I think what's happened is two things:

1. Madoka Magica popularized (or re-popularized) "tragic yuri". You could maybe even call it "crying games yuri".

2. K-On! has been very influential, and has even helped inspire shows that are close to gender-swapped versions of it. Hence more soft/cushy yaoi (subtext).
  2. Last Sinner
    2015-04-22 01:12
    Last Sinner
    Friend and I had a conversation last night and we came to a conclusion about something. Wanted your opinion on it, if you could.

Do you think that post-Madoka, in general, titles with significant yuri context have become significantly more violent/cruel while those with yaoi context have come signficantly more soft/cushy?
  3. Last Sinner
    2015-04-20 00:18
    Last Sinner
    Apologies for not replying sooner despite sending PMs about other things and commenting further in that thread.

Well - your thread was the only one in that sub-forum that held any interest for me, so, figured I might as well say something.

I have acquired new headphones as of a few days ago, so I plan to get back into watching anime again very soon, but at present, some IRL stuff is very time-consuming and watching anime newly under those circumstances isn't the best of ideas.

That said, I have gone back through a bit of Azumanga Daioh and Akagi to get me back in the right mindset.
  4. Triple_R
    2015-04-16 22:47
    Triple_R
    Awesome post, LS

Thanks a lot for that. Good job breaking down my 1-10 question the way you did, to.

I might reply to your post more later on, but I wanted to thank you for it ASAP.
  5. Last Sinner
    2015-04-09 00:09
    Last Sinner
    I was never one to like Yuki. That franchise without Haruhi - yeah, not for me. Also aware of how utterly tame it is.

The key change in the WWE in recent times is that the big names are letting the new gen have their time in the limelight. It's long overdue.
  6. Triple_R
    2015-04-08 20:51
    Triple_R
    The other one I tried out was The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.

With both that and Vivid, I checked it out because I'm a big fan of the parent series (Haruhi and Nanoha). So those two shows were automatically on my "to watch" list for Spring 2015.

As for the Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan... I liked it well enough, but it might be a bit safe and generic for your tastes. Even for me, it's a bit heavy on the conventional side, and I'll be sticking with it mainly due to fondness for some of the characters.

As for the WWE, I might check out the next RAW. From what Akuma has told me, they've been getting pretty creative and bold lately with how they're handling their top wrestlers.
  7. Last Sinner
    2015-04-07 18:40
    Last Sinner
    Out of interest, what is the other one you were into?

Incidentally, as of recent times, I've found the WWE is worth watching again. I get the feeling Paul Heyman's influence is beginning to mix in again with Vince's and Triple H's. There seem to be people that otherwise wouldn't get proper chances. There seems to be a generational shift that's coming into play at the upper level now - the brand may finally have the people it needs to move on from the regular top carders of the last 10 years.
  8. Triple_R
    2015-04-07 15:53
    Triple_R
    I'm glad you liked Vivid. That's one of the two Spring 2015 shows I've tried so far.

I agree with you that it isn't stellar, but it's good enough so far. It feels solid. It has a good mix of fun-loving and serious to it.
  9. Last Sinner
    2015-04-07 11:39
    Last Sinner
    Just gave Nanoha Vivid a shot. It wasn't stellar but it certainly did enough. So I've got a keeper for now.
  10. Last Sinner
    2015-04-07 10:12
    Last Sinner
    Treading through April titles. First thing I took a look at was Heroic Legend of Arslan.

And...I'm quite disappointed. For an Arakawa title, this is not interesting me at all. With so much development going on and nothing in between, I'm shocked. FMA was so exemplary at managing to progress story at the same time. Whereas Arslan wastes an entire episode being finnicky and throwing in a fujioshi moment for a character who's obviously going to become a secondary character since he avoided death/arrest multiple times if not for the main character.

It feels like Escaflowne on training wheels. I say that because the original Arslan OVA was from the 90s. The visual style of either has way more appeal than the utterly generic one Arslan does.

Oh well, search for something good from April continues.