AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Theron

Notices

Conversation Between Theron and Dann of Thursday
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 326
  1. Dann of Thursday
    2009-04-04 22:55
    Dann of Thursday
    No problem. We all have lives outside of this place.

I'm afraid I can't entirely follow what is wrong with the whole space station thing actually. Granted, it was extremely odd, but I seem to recall the facility where the past gundams were held as well as where Veda was being seen in the first season or at least at the very end. As for the story, of course I agree that by the end it was quite confusing as to what exactly they were trying to get across. The only bit I think became clear (and only because they constantly drilled it in) was that understanding one another is a key to preventing war and bringing about peace. Which is all fine and good along with probably being true, but realistically it unfortunately isn't likely to happen.

Well, best to watch it all in one go at a later time when you feel like it. It seems lately that all these shows from Sunrise are having really good first seasons with lackluster second seasons. And about all I can say I enjoyed was the fights in the last few parts of things, though there were a few things even there that irritated me. Setsuna becoming an Innovator wouldn't really bother me as much if only they had gone to greater lengths in explaining this bit of evolution quite a bit more along with that it sort of (ironically I suppose) made Setsuna rather god-like. Tieria becoming part of Veda wasn't that surprising honestly and I can't say I care either way. But that last one was just incredibly stupid in how it was done. Personally, it seemed that there wasn't very good development in terms of characters aside from a few people perhaps and one of the obvious faults there lies of course with how the story just wasn't there.

One thing I will mention was that during Ribbons' and Setsuna's fight, there was a moment where Ribbons fired a shot which Setsuna dodged by seemingly turning completely into particles and then suddenly appearing behind Ribbons. I seem to recall you talking about something similar to this a while back in concern to the 00 though I could be wrong.

Never heard of it though the premise sounds a bit interesting and anything with something in common with Miyazaki is good in my book so I'll check it out and give you my thoughts afterwards.

I just finished a series called Toradora which I rather enjoyed and I'm starting the new FMA series this week as well. In regards to the manga there, I recently heard that the author had said she wasn't planning on having it go much further beyond chapter 100, but I'm not sure if she could finish it in 7 chapters.

Good luck and see you.
  2. Theron
    2009-04-04 15:54
    Theron
    Hey, sorry for jest disappearing like that. I've started my qualification course so I was quite busy and still am. Probably will be loaded with stuff till august. -_-'

Anyways concerning 00 all I did was read Omni's summaries. I've lost all will to watch how it will end, especially after seeing that friggin' space station. In my opinion the whole ending including at least 5 on the latest episodes has failed. From the storytelling point of view the whole thing just fell apart. The thing I'm most displeased with was the abandonment of the style that was present all through out second season. You know the things we've talked about. The extreme realistically delivery of this universe' situation. The authors pressed in through the whole season and than didn't had the guts (as I suspect) to finish what they started. For me the whole purpose element of this season's story became nonexistent. I mean, what exactly were they trying to say with all this shit? First season was sharp and clear as a sword - the main thought was that if you try hard enough you could actually change the world. Obviously that kind of moral would work only in fictional medium, but it was clear, fun and, witch is most important, it was masterfully build in the story progression. Second season failed to deliver this same kind of integration. I can't even see anything major that can be described as this shows main thought, moral of idea.

I guess, I will watch the episodes I haven't watched, but not now. Maybe later. I don't even quite understand how to talk about this show. If the only positive thing to say is "the fights were good" than its not a show I'd even want to talk about. Fights alone and even good scenes won't cut it. If a show fails to delivers a strong overall story while promising to do a good job at it - there's just nothing to discuss anymore. I peaked at 00 discussion threads and there are some really weird discuss going on. Like how everybody is still going crazy about Setsuna becoming an Innovator and how Tieria ended up being Veda and - one of the most ridiculous - how Sumeragi and Billi made up. Who cares about that stuff when the main plot ended up in shambles?! Well, I guess some people are just blinded by their beloved characters and don't see the big picture. I don't get it.

In any case, I'll probably go back to 00 after some time has passed to look at it with a fresh eye. Let's just leave it alone for now.

On the other note I've just recently watched a quite good series. Xam'd: The Lost Memories. I got interested after watching the opening on youtube. I looked it up and the name Furuya Toru was the deciding factor. The episodes yet again turned out to be short - around 25 minutes. What I really liked from the first glance was the setting and all aroung feeling of the world. Its really-really very much Miyazaki-esque. Both in world creation designs and also a little bit in animation. The premise in my opinion is just great, especially in relation with these days' standards. It felt original and fresh, but at the same time there was something very familiar - in a good sense - familiar precisely with Miyazaki-esque world creation techniques.

The plot and especially character development - those things weren't as great in my eyes at first. Again the first episode introduced the characters perfectly. But I wasn't happy with the character that was pitched as the main villain (witch he wasn't, but the viewers couldn't SEE the main villain - he was only mentioned the first half of the series), but later on I ended up appreciating this character depth and realism. The other annoyance I had with some of the main characters decisions were in regards to this unbelievably stupid idea of recruiting teenagers into military. That is just insane, bat many animes doing it none the less. Asides from that character development was solid and in some cases - father and mother of the main character, captain of the ship - absolutely brilliant. What I find the best thing about this shows characters is that their actions and thoughts are absolutely believable and realistic, except for the military thing I mentioned above.

There were some minor things in the plot itself that I ended up puzzled about. It's not like those things were bad story telling, more like it distracted my always analyzing mind from the action. In the end, it was a great watch and afterwards I must say I enjoyed these series more than most others this year.

Okay, I wanted to say something else, but while typing all that stuff about Xam'd I managed to forget all about it. -_-' Oh, well. Sith happens. Anyway, I'll try to be around on the weekends, but otherwise I'm leaded.
  3. Dann of Thursday
    2009-04-02 17:18
    Dann of Thursday
    Hey Theron. I decided to actually watch the final episode of 00 and I have to admit that it wasn't bad as finales go though there are of course all the things we talked about as being a problem with it. And those kids were singing throughout the whole final battle.

The fights were all quite good in any case.

I can't say I'm excited for the movie though. I mean, what is there left to deal with really? Who is going to be the antagonist? Eh, I guess we'll see. You never know. It just might be pretty good, but I wouldn't count on it.
  4. Dann of Thursday
    2009-03-29 07:30
    Dann of Thursday
    I just checked out Omni's pics and notes for the final episodes. Well, at least there wasn't any singing. And the whole battle between Exia and the 0 was actually kind of cool in the idea of it, though it would seem obvious that Ribbons wouldn't have a chance.

Still, just meh overall. Something I find rather funny is that pretty much every pic in the epilogue section isn't smiling, but have this sort of depressed look with the exception of Patrick.

And I guess there will be some movie next year though it is rather hard to care. Omni's note about the Jupiter shot being a sign of a 00/Geass crossover was rather funny I thought, though I honestly want nothing movie related happening with CG.
  5. Theron
    2009-03-17 18:33
    Theron
    Its a space station! Its a friggin' SPACE STATION! AGAIN! Do they ever learn?! Grrrr!...

*sorry, had to take it of my chest, now I can go to sleep -_-'*
  6. Dann of Thursday
    2009-03-15 15:43
    Dann of Thursday
    Well, this episode was rather silly in some regards. Billy joins Ribbons and apparently everyone can go Trans-am now, though it seems that it is mainly being used as a way of making the kamikaze clones be faster missles. I can't say the clones bother me at all anymore. It seems rather stupid, but I suppose it could work if you had kept this as a backup and now had the right moment and types of mobile suits with which to launch all these loyal soldiers whose life likely won't be very long. Meh.

Patrick dying doesn't entirely surprise me, but it was kind of sad since I always found it quite amusing in season 1 with how he always seemed to survive by some bizarre form of luck. Someone pointed out that this must mean they are getting serious, but I can't seem to care. Hell, everyone could die and I don't think I would feel incredibly sad, which isn't good.

Billy is sort of a pathetic character in terms of his motivation for doing all this, but then I suppose one could say that this is what makes him seem more human and realistic since humans often do things for rather petty reasons.

Eh, I don't see how they could wrap this up. It looks like someone is going to die next episode (maybe Alle) and that apparently the last few parts of the episode will be shocking. Can't say I honestly believe that.
  7. Dann of Thursday
    2009-03-12 15:06
    Dann of Thursday
    Well, I can understand that. I fear more often than not that I do not have enough common sense and the like. Everyone has their moments of stupidity though. I guess it would be the people who continually do so without any attempt to at least not appear idiotic.

Well, there is that and I also remember him and Trisha making some sort of promise to die together. I think he would now want to keep that promise unless he plans to stick around with his sons if possible. I'm wondering how Father will be taken out. I'm expecting another opening of the gate and another encounter with The Truth.

Well, my annoyance with that happens when it seems to be occuring several chapters in a row along with wondering what exactly it is that they are researching. Of course, most of the time I have no problem with it since it seems clear that they have been working on things. I'd rather have a coherent plot and good art than otherwise.

Oh, I see. I don't generally go there except for every once and a while.

I've heard about it so far and it does sound pretty interesting. And the character sounds and looks like he should be voiced by Fukuyama. Out of curiosity, is there supposed to be some sort of romance between him and the devil or is it mainly with some sort of harem situation?

Edit: Never mind about the last question. I read the first two chapters and saw that she is basically being his little sister as a cover with him seeming to grudgingly allow it. It does seem pretty entertaining
  8. Theron
    2009-03-12 12:42
    Theron
    Meh, I just don't like most things associated with it. And we all are idiots one way or another. Though some people don't get it and don't even try to improve. Even if I admit that I'm an idiot at times that doesn't mean I should tolerate this coming from others. Than again there's all different kinds of stupidity - all preserved differently.

Yeah, I'm kind of afraid for Hohehheim at this point. He has been releasing his stones in different parts of country so he may not have enough left to survive a serious battle. On the other hand, it might turn out typically for most immortal characters with all that "I'm tired of life and loosing the ones I love and blah-blah-blah" talk. T.T'

Yeah, all those little things make the story more solid and cohesive. I don't know why some people don't understand why mangakas must take breaks to "gather information". Rather they do understand, but don't appreciate it. Well I guess they haven't ever done any proofreading themselves so it cannot be helped.

Haha, DA is short from deviantArt.com, I was just using it out of habit. My bad. ^^'

Oh, and another question: have you read manga "The World God Only Knows"? Recently I've got a kick out of it. Mostly because the main character reminds me of Lelouch. In a brilliant parody kind of way. If you imagine this characters lines done by Fukuyama - XD And the story itself isn't bad either.
  9. Dann of Thursday
    2009-03-12 07:08
    Dann of Thursday
    Eh, it's been alright for me so far. I can't say I hate it though I can't say I like it either. At times, I don't feel like I'm actually getting anything done and that the teachers are occasionally wasting time. I dislike stupidity as well, though I feel at times that I am quite stupid.

Well, I honestly thought at first that it was some sort of fan picture since it seemed a bit silly. You'd think he might have pulled this out earlier though maybe he didn't think it would be needed. Showing Ribbons in the preview sort of ruined the whole ending of the episode, which was a rather bad move.

Well, his teacher did claim it was the most powerful type out there and it certainly seems he was not wrong. Of course, great power means nothing if not applied correctly though Roy is quite good at taking advantage of his surroundings. I honestly don't see Hohenheim making it out of this alive, but I guess he might prefer to die so as to see his wife again. And it also is good to me that they referenced past events, though I hadn't known that Roy had seen Riza crying. I also saw how one of the chimeras used items they found around what was left of Barry.

DA? I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I know what that is. Though I'll probably feel stupid after you tell me.
  10. Theron
    2009-03-11 21:01
    Theron
    Thank god, I'm already through with school! I hated most of the ones I attended along with most of the people I had to meet there. Man, there's so many things associated with this institution that I hate and despise, it's almost scary coz normally I'm a tolerant person. I can't stand stupidity though.

Yeah, the clone army with a single appearance made Ribbons & co. look like a cheap circus. And Regenes little rebellion was staged so obviously futile (especially with Ribbons appearing in the preview - oops! ^^') it was ridiculous. Where should all that build up with Regenes rebellious side go now? Not that I hadn't saw that coming... I've lost all faith in these writers coming up with a good twist or at least obvious one, but well executed. Nah, they're out of ideas already. All of this was predictable - in a bad way - that's why I used word 'amusing'.

Yeah, I loved that too. I really enjoyed how Roy was able to handle all those dolls like nothing as well. No matter what anyone says, he's the most powerful alchemist. With the expectance of Hohenheim, but since I love both of them... ^^" What I also liked was that Mustang motioned the last time he was in that room. At that time he killed Lust and I was waiting for him to remember that first time I saw him entering the room. Though he remembered something different - a really nice Riza moment - but than again I liked this moment as well so it's okay too.

Hey, something interesting just popped into my head! Do you browse DA?