AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Hari Michiru

Notices

Conversation Between Hari Michiru and Langus
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 24 of 24
  1. Langus
    2008-09-08 23:21
    Langus
    Good luck and happy writing
  2. Hari Michiru
    2008-09-08 22:56
    Hari Michiru
    *throws knife away* Nah, the knife ain't my style. *grabs spoon* Blunt things hurt more .

I guess I'm not much of a descriptive writer. Or maybe because it's the fact that I'm the type of reader that likes things to the point, and not flowing with so much description that my brain explodes, hahaha. I think I had 6 pages for my last fic chapter, and that's the longest I've written a chapter.

Methinks I should work on my second chapter now, hahaha, or my beta will slaughter me in science class...where there are pointy objects...=O
  3. Langus
    2008-09-08 22:50
    Langus
    Well thanks so much! I'm always surprised when people tell me they like my fics but it's really such a day maker when you hear it

The key to writing long chapters eh? I'm going to say practice - and lots of it. Sounds lame, but hear me out. When I started a couple years ago I couldn't write a chapter longer than 3 or 4 pages. That's about a third of what I do now.

Start browsing around and reading other fanfic writers who write longer chapters and see how they do it. What parts of the story do they flesh out? How do they describe their characters. There is something they are adding that makes their chapters longer, so once you figure out what that is you can start incorporating it into your own work.

Be careful though, longer doesn't necessarily mean better. You can write a solid chapter in a few pages if you cover all your bases. It doesn't need to be 12 pages long to get your point across. Just write what feels comfortable and manageable to you, leave it alone for a few days, then go back to it and see if there are any areas you can tweak to bring the reader closer to the story or the characters. (For me this is usually setting descriptions - I take a lot of time describing the scene so the reader feels like they are a part of it instead of just reading about it).

Well I hope that helps somewhat! *backs away slowly to avoid potential knife slashing* Did I mention have a great day?
  4. Hari Michiru
    2008-09-08 21:39
    Hari Michiru
    LOL, I think I'm officially a fan of your fanfics. Tell me the secret of writing long chapters...*hides knife* XD