AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Archon_Wing

Conversation Between Archon_Wing and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 67
  1. Archon_Wing
    2013-10-22 15:44
    So do you know the name of the Kuroneko cosplayer.

It's hard to duplicate Kuroneko irl though, but at least it was quite attractive.
  2. Archon_Wing
    2013-08-30 19:04
    1.) There's a really strong aura of self sufficiency I see in Motoko, which I frequently complain about in anime. Motoko, for example, is a very sexual being, but it's clear that she dictates when and where all the things concerning her will happen. She lets you gawk because she could care less about you, really.

Shinobu is like that too. She just doesn't give a fuck, and the world is her bitch. Nuff said.

Misato and Fate are a different kind of mature, very womanly characters. When in work, they have the absolutely most srs bzness exteriors and are very sure with making results when it matters. A bit of an underperformer, but really shines when put to the limit. Of course, the motivations are different. Misato is driven revenge at the angels that took away her father, and Fate seems to be on a quest to prevent others from going through what she did. In the end they're very passionate people with flaws, especially magnified towards people they really care about.

Misato is lazy and slobbish (mostly at home) because she's constantly bothered with relationship problems, and Fate never really had the normal childhood upbringing until her foster mom came home. In the end, these two are my favorites because they really seem to bring home of a woman that can be really strong in many ways yet show a degree of vulnerability that makes them more real.

Misato's not one to not be aware of her sex appeal, and she often uses it to really tease/troll people at times. In many ways she's similar to Rin Tohsaka who also had a background that would fuel a need for revenge, but with a strong urge to conduct oneself with grace.

Fate on the other hand is pretty direct with her communications with people. I'd imagine she's very aware of her own sex appeal by now but she's clearly the more reserved; I'm guessing she's not the type to troll or tease people. The main appeal of this woman is most likely the fact that as she matures throughout the series in a very subtle fashion. I suppose she's always working to relate to people properly. A lot of people probably expect the same of StrikerS Fate as they do of series Fate, but that kind of bullshit is for the Nanoboards, and I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemies to read that. Still, Fate is the one to really make good use of both the appeals of question 1 and 2 and thus really can't be matched by anyone in my mind for this. In the end, she really reminds me of some super upstanding citizen in the anime world, and for some reason that is moe.

Of course, you mentioned Saber, and I like her well enough to some degree as she acts with the act of royalty she took on herself. hopefully Ufotable will continue to do her well.

2.) Yea, as you would probably guess, Kuroneko clearly falls into the cute, but obviously very mature junior appeal. Ririchiyo is much like the kind of characters Kuroneko likes to dream about and imitate; being aloof and classy. They both also have excellent character designs too. But yea, the appeal of someone that is wiser beyond their years relative to their class makes them a standout cast member. It would be a good way to describe these two girls as the ascended loliish types.

Mai and Ohana often fall into the type of somewhat distressed, oppressed girl who really should be very very angry at the world around them, but instead of making everyone miserable like Kirino, they try to really make the most out of it. It's that sort of frustration that I can feel with them on.

Of course, they took very different paths. Mai tried to shun away other people when hurt, much like someone like Fate. And it turns out, just like the former, she's extremely passionate about the people she cares about a lot. Although what really distinguishes Mai is actually how pissed in reality, and how hard she tries to not hurt other people with it. Indeed, if Mai didn't have god mode hax on her mother, I'd imagine her to be very much like Batman. And Batman always makes things better.

Though, the truly Batmanish type, is actually Homura due to the fact she can't use Jun Maeda'ish contrived hax to win. Still, not absolutely my primary choice, but let's just say I wouldn't mind it.

And finally Ohana. Of course, I love Ohana. I'm really surprised she put up with all the bullshit that came her way so well, and despite the fact she came close to cracking a few times, she never seemed like the type to ever give up. It's those things where you're just experiencing the struggle with the character, and naturally she'll grow up to be a very interesting person. She survived the Okada'ostrophe! Only exceptional people can!

I can sorta see how Hanekawa, yet another character that has an entire boatloat of luggage would have that kind of appeal too.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-08-26 01:34
    Question 1
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't think of Matsuri as an adult but it does feel strange at times. Another character I think of in a similar way is Sakura Suzuhara - the cute nurse in Evangelion 3.0. Maybe it's not coincidence they both where berets? The only thing keeping Sakura off my list is pretty much the lack of screen time, to be honest.
    Interested in your takes on Akiko (Kanon) and Tomoe (Hanasaku Iroha). Also, admit it, you totally forgot that Nanoha and Fate qualify.

@Totoum: You and your psycho women. No Benika? I actually like her a fair bit.

Characters I like a lot that have been listed so far:
    Triple_R:Junko, Irisviel, maybe Akane
    Totoum: Benten, Koko, Sui
    Archon: Motoko Kusanagi, Shinobu, Fate

My top choices personally would be Matsuri (Sola), Horo (Spice & Wolf), Akiko Minase (Kanon),Tomoe Wajima (Hanasaku Iroha) and Zakuro (Otome Youkai Zakuro - I typically assume she's an adult). If visual novels are included, then Tsugumi Komachi from Ever 17 too. I also like Miura Azusa a lot - in fact, she might be my favourite Idolm@ster character. There's also Yumiko Kamiazuma from Touka Gettan (which I haven't finished, but she's that delicious...). And, from Fate/Stay Night, both Saber and Ilya (who if IIRC actually is an adult in F/SN!). And I'd probably go for the previously listed characters from Totoum and Archon's list to round things out (sorry Triple_R, I didn't like your picks quite as much)

For a guy who usually goes for petite types, there's a surprising number of women on that list for whom visual appeal plays a role.

Question 2:
    Agreed picks:
    Triple_R: Most of your picks are on my "want to see" list but in particular Ohana, Sawa, Azusa, Oreki and Chitanda stand out.
    Totoum: Sawa and Sora interest me a lot.
    Archon: Kuroneko, Ririchiyo, Ohana, and Mai make the cut.

About half the characters I really, really want to see adult versions of age up are characters I conside to have a "cute junior" appeal: Kuroneko, Nadeko, and Azusa. I have the feeling they'd all still maintain their charms as adults, just with a bit more maturity. To round out the list, Oreki and Chitanda (Hyouka left their relationship tantilizingly open) and, strangely enough, Hanekawa Tsubasa from Monogatari, whom is mature enough I doubt she'd change much. I guess I just really love her bookish looks and intelligence.
    Ririchiyo, Ohana, and Sawa come very, very close to that group of top choices, so much so that I feel obliged to give honourable mention status.
    Rounding out: college age versions of the Madoka Magica's big five.

Question 3:
    @Triple_R: Renji is far and away my favourite male character in EF, both because of his own traits (he's one of the cuter male charactes I can think of, actually…) and because of his relationship with Chihiro. And I do agree that Hiro is fairly likeable as well. I'm amused Kyousuke doesn't get a mention - he's the one I wasn't too fond of. I like Yuu a lot as a teenager, and I like him as an adult too… but adult Kuze somewhat steals the cake for me, just because of the scene where Renji asks him how his mom knows about the uniform collection.

For top three I'd probably go for Renji, adult Kuze, and teenage Yuu in that order. And an honourable mention to Yuuko's brother for being pretty much as much of a magnificent bastard as you can get in the genre.
  4. Archon_Wing
    2013-08-22 17:25
    1.) Misato Katsuragi, Motoko Kusanagi, Shinobu, Fate (Though she's one of those rare cases where 2 eventually applied to 1. It's wonderful, really!), Nana Osaki if she counts
    2.) Kuroneko, Ririchiyo, Ohana, Wakana, Mai Kawasumi
    3.) None really... haven't seen too much of EF
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-08-22 16:03
    I feel the urge to ask a few of you guys some questions as a thought exercise.
    1) Adult female characters that appeal to you. Immortal options are allowed but you have to give some non-immortal ones as well (because I want to get answers other than just Horo and Matsuri).
    2) Characters you'd like to see an older version of.
    3) Male characters in EF you like or dislike.

I'll probably post my own answers at some point but it might be a few days due to various stuff I have going on.
  6. Archon_Wing
    2013-08-07 04:32
    Outfox, tell me about Kotomi and moe so that heathens such as Pocari can understand.
  7. Archon_Wing
    2013-07-28 13:22
    Oh yes, Pocari didn't care for Inu x Boku SS. I think it's just too slow for his tastes. He also doesn't have the tragic moe feel, poor him.

However, he absolutely loved evil Kyon... err Kagerou when I linked him a few months ago. I'm sure he wants someone flying around AS doing the same thing.

Also, Ririchiyo is really cute. I know that's redundant, but I wanted to say it.
  8. Archon_Wing
    2013-01-27 04:38
    Hi. That was a longer response than anticipated.

Well, I can definitely agree with you on Ririchiyo. She is definitely an amazing kind of moe, though calling her a loli tsundere may or may not undersell her prowess. XD I think she sorta falls under Kuroneko's type of charm. Very sharp witted and a sharp tongue yet contains moments of weakness to melt one's heart with and has awesome fashion sense. And wonderful looks. Ririchiyo probaly wins in the looks category, but Kuroneko is my favorite in this area, and it's pretty hard to uproot her.

It goes without saying that I also like the character in my avatar-- Mio-- much, even if she lacks the fashion sense of the former two for similar reasons. (Very sharp tongue, says shit to startle people, and is secretly a perv yet doesn't seem to mind talking about it in a deadpan manner. I can relate! )

As for Eru, well, Genki-moe tends to be miss for me except in cases like Akira and Ohana. But I felt in the later two cases that they actually were very mature at times and of course the whole troubled past thing is like a +2 for me. XD Of course Ririchiyo would fall into this, and well the grand majority of my favorite characters as listed on MAL. Wakana in Tari Tari was quite moving for the short time her arc took.,m

I'm quite sure Shiina would be good too, though I'm just not keen on that series. Mari Okada tends to be a name to run to the hills these days (But it's an adaptation, so that's not fair)

Shinobu deserves to be counted as a new character since she really wasn't much in Bakemono. And yea she was just extremely charming, and has the personality of a centuries old cougar in the body of a loli. It's like Japan's wet dream! Definitely hard to stay away from, and liking donuts is definitely the punch. She's also what made the later half of Nise/Neko watchable. And I never expected to her to be like that. The moment she started talking, I burst out laughing and it just went uphill after that.

Oh, and then Kana Hanazawa. We can never have enough Kana Hanazawa. Well, the latest episodes of Shin Sekai Yori, have brought out her great performance with Maria as of late.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-01-25 04:08
    Hmmm, not exactly an easy question to answer. 2013 is barely started and while I enjoyed many shows in 2012, it just didn’t seem to be as strong a year for moe characters as 2011 was. For reference, my picks for 2011 were Charlotte (Infinite Stratos), Kuroneko (OreImo true route episodes), Yune (Ikoku Meiro no Croisee), Ohana and Tomoe (Hanasaku Iroha). When the list of characters who didn’t make the cut includes Mami, Mayuri, and Kurisu… yeah.

That said, 2012 did have two standout moe characters in Ririchiyo Shirakiin and Chitanda Eru.
    If there’s one thing I’d say stood out about 2012 heroines, it was the strong showing from the what I’d call the “charmingly sharp” archetype. Fujiko Mine, Nisemonogatari’s expension of Shinobu and encore performance from Hitagi, and especially Jormungand’s Koko Hekmartyer were exceptional. But while some of these characters had some moe, it was Ririchiyo that expertly blended charming sharpness with the more classical moe of the loli-tsundere in a complex, multifaceted package. Ririchiyo is the real deal, and my top heroine for 2012.

Chitanda is more traditional – both figuratively and literally, and the latter gives that extra bit of character her competition lacks. She nails that “just grounded enough” joyous enthusiasm that made Akira such a great character in Yosuga no Sora in that way most genki-moe girls don’t quite manage – and unlike some studios Kyoto has the talent to show their audience in no uncertain terms exactly why even someone like Oreki can’t quite resist her.

A few other notables:

Kotoura from Kotoura-san: I’m not sure I’d actually say there’s a lot exceptional about Kotoura-san (aside from, you know, her ability to read minds), but she benefits from being the title character in a show that has enough heart to make an otherwise sappy and overly melodramatic story work.
    (As a enthusiast of what I refer to as “moe and melodrama” shows, I can’t recommend Kotoura-san enough, especially since – despite the first ten minutes – it just so happy compared to many such shows.)

Rina Yaegashi – AKA Taichi’s little sister in Kokoro Connect. There’s tons of crappy little sister characters in anime these days, but occasionally someone does it right. Mei perhaps did it best in Clannad, but I have the feeling that Rina might have pulled it off in Kokoro Connect given more screen time. Alas, it was not to be.

Shiina Mashiro (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo): It’s really her emotional inexperience and artistic dedication that sells this cute artist in her own little world to me.

The Bakemonogatari girls: I generally won’t pick returning characters unless the new season either improves their character or does an exceptional job reminding me why I loved them in the first place (hence why you won’t see any Fate-verse characters here, for example). Hitagi and Hanekawa sort of make the cut, but not in a way I can really get behind. Nadeko didn’t have a great year. Mayoi and Shinobi though? Nisemonogatari’s two loli-est stole the show this time around with the way they sparred both vertically and physically with Araragi – and in a show with the likes of Hitagi, that says something.

Kana Hanazawa’s characters: I try not to be too much of a Kana Hanazawa fanboy. I don’t like all her characters. I remind myself that Noto Mamiko does the soft and silky-smoth voices I love about Kana just as well as Kana does. But that voice just gives that extra spark sometimes:

Ayase (Guilty Crown): Ayase reminds me a bit of Charlotte from Infinite Stratos: an exceptional heroine stuck in a weak if not outright bad anime. Ayase’s a lot rougher than Charlotte but still has that “KanaHana with some spunk” appeal. And like Charlotte, she made me watch all the way to the end of a show that I’m honestly not sure I would have otherwise.

Karuta (Inu x Boku SS) and Maria (Shinsekai Yori): I’ll admit it – these two wouldn’t be on here if not for me choosing to do a KanaHana list, as there are a number of unlisted characters I like just as much. But I find myself liking them a lot for such unexceptional characters, and I think Kana has a lot to do with them.

Ren Kougyoku (Magi): the “innocent little girl with a crush” side of her personality isn’t that exceptional. But the one occasion where she’s goes full on bloodlust mode is similar to the last time I remember Kana playing an evil character in 2011 Kamisama Dolls: utterly glorious in Kana’s silky smooth way.

Yuriko (Kotoura-san): Trickster with a heart of gold. And Kana’s voice. A case of a great voice and a great show giving an otherwise unexceptional character a boost.

Okay, I could probably think of more if I put my mind to it but that’s enough for now. Back to work time.
  10. Archon_Wing
    2013-01-23 01:31
    Hi Outfox.

What would be your moe character picks as of these recent seasons?