AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Archon_Wing

Notices

Conversation Between Archon_Wing and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 181 to 190 of 247
  1. Last Sinner
    2012-01-08 11:53
    Last Sinner
    Quote:
    So Persona sells more than Shana, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, and Ben-to combined.

WTF!

*burns something down*

Japan has turned on Shana. What to do?
    Big-selling titles in 2011 were based around titles or directors/writers with considerable/loyal fanbases. I don't like using the word ;fanbase' too liberally but I honestly think it was the biggest driving force of 2011.

Honestly, don't let sales dictate how you feel. Sales and quality are inversely proportional in a lot of ways. They're not things that associate that often. Marketing and fanbases are more important in making a show sell than actually being good.

Just like what you like. Obsessing over what Japan buys will ultimately lead you to despair in the end.
  2. Last Sinner
    2012-01-06 23:36
    Last Sinner
    Sounds like a plan! Let's get a fellowship together and have an epic adventure, space opera style!
  3. Archon_Wing
    2012-01-06 20:05
    Archon_Wing
    Ugh, that was the worst waste of time, lol. Trying to pass off amateurish bullshit as art is definitely pretentious. I bet you and I could run into the nearest park with a camera and do better.
  4. Last Sinner
    2012-01-06 12:56
    Last Sinner
    Umineko...now there's a show I haven't heard of in ages. Never liked the show, but I could be convinced to make a clip of it to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdxJwKU5zw

If you happen to notice/remember the crappy movie this was on the soundtrack for ages after it was first made, you'd probably get why I picked it.
  5. Last Sinner
    2012-01-03 23:45
    Last Sinner
    Meh, if people want to get butthurt about someone not liking what they worship, so be it. It's not like this year had much of anything to get that way anyway, but shrug, each to their own.

See - there's the kind of witty sarcasm that everyone can enjoy. Keep it up.

Allegedly the reason Jericho took so long to return was that he wanted to do the Y2J angle this time - as did his fans. He wasn't the only one taking that stance last year. CM Punk had long-going tense negotiations before he struck the deal to gradually make him able to go Austin-style tweening. I'd like to believe the Y2J angle will be Jericho's call and that he gets a proper choice in how his character goes this time. Considering he's stayed loyal and uninjured for as long as he has, I think it's time he was given the right to unleash that character as people want it to be. And considering the whole 2012 apocalypse theories nonsense, Jericho should be able to crank Y2J and take on CM Punk as seems likely. Predicting Jericho to win Royal Rumble, challenge Punk at WM28 and win.
  6. Archon_Wing
    2012-01-03 22:41
    Archon_Wing
    I see you have fans.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...06#post3930606 Speaking of Anime Ja Nai, Persona 4 could definitely fit said descriptions.

Also, Y2j huh. Yea, he was pretty cool back in the day, but around the time they put the big belts around him was when they started assassinating his character.
  7. Archon_Wing
    2012-01-02 22:25
    Archon_Wing
    Speaking of low thresholds, I finally bailed on Guilty Crown. Honestly, the supporting writer was doing a hell of a job trying to save the series, but I'm afraid the core-- the cast-- just doesn't work. The fact our lead is such a prick towards women, trying to use them for affection is just too much. And I have plenty of pitiful characters I enjoy... Yoshino is truly the destroyer of franchises.

At least Shana's recovering.

As for the Gundam series you hate, I guess I've never really gotten into any of them. ;p But even the ongoing Age is worth watching. It's not the best anime around, but it manages to be more mature then certain ongoing series.

Chihayafuru is still queen though.
  8. Last Sinner
    2012-01-02 12:55
    Last Sinner
    I have low thresholds for protagonists that take an extremely long time to grow up. Multiple Gundam series, Eureka Seven, etc. After I saw Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist and how that was the one long-length show the anime club has positively digested in the last ten years, it makes me wonder why therer are so few protagonists like him. He certainly has flaws that keep him real but he generally rises to the occassion from Day 1.

Admittedly when I told my Gundam friends that when I finally found a Gundam series I liked and that it was Double Zeta, their common response - despite being asked independently without the others knowing - was why I hadn't watched Zeta first. It was interesting to note they figured I wouldn't like the original but thought Zeta might have been one I could handle.

As for other Gundams - Wing was deplorable. Seed - shiver. Destiny - whatever. 00 - CELESTIAL BEINGU SPAM! Wing and 00 have both been wooden spooners in club polls.

From memory, Tomino's chauvanism came early. Daitarn 3 (1977) is as sexist as anything I've ever seen. Victory was made when a seiyuu he loved married another seiyuu, so he got inspired to kill every female in that series. Yeah, Tomino and women - not a good mix. Although most directors are generally jerks anyway.
  9. Archon_Wing
    2012-01-02 01:51
    Archon_Wing
    Lol Double Zeta; yes it is a very good theme song I admit.

It's just that talking with it to Reckoner who enjoys the original Gundam series for similar reasons to me makes me rather wary since it's a really huge mood whiplash from the last series and having a lulzy continuation to a serious plot just seems a bit off. I dunno; I have a hard time with these things. I'm gonna watch it eventually, but it'll be a long time before I want to sit down and invest in yet another 50 episode series. I don't have that much patience for longer series-- recently I've watched 2 50 eps series-- Zeta Gundam and Kemono no Souja Erin, the later I'd say you should check out. Please don't let the first few episodes mislead you, the payoff is quite strong later on.

I don't really see why Kamille or Amuro would be that bad considering the grand scheme of anime male leads. Amuro Ray starts off as wishy washy and it's possible not to like that, but he was never meant to be a soldier, plus being treated by the corrupt federation as a possible threat was not healthy on his psyche either. I suppose he's not the most exciting guy, but for its time, he wasn't bad either. I don't think he's a prick at all (Unlike Shu lawl)

Kamille doesn't even have the typical pitfalls of the mecha pilot sterotype. Yes, he starts as a prick that starts a hissy fit after being called by a few names, but it takes about a dozen episodes for him to harden into a dedicated and sensible soldier. He's actually really level headed if you take everything into context-- seeing the deaths of his parents right before him and at least 2 love interests killed before him would break a lot of people, but he manages to show concern for others and also for the greater good. Plus in the end he makes the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the threat to humanity is removed. His character develops a lot, and by the end he hardly is the rash kid he was at the start.

So while yes, Gundam (especially Zeta) had some really annoying characters (Katz, those kids, Reccoa-- yea Tomino's attitudes towards women are kinda lol, but typical for the time) at least they're properly dealt with in the end.

That being said, Tomino didn't create ZZ to kill off the franchise. If anything, the depression hit during Zeta which was why the later parts are so excessively morbid. By the time ZZ came, the antidepressants must have been kicking in and so I guess to compensate for all these dark topics came an excessively optimistic incarnation (ZZ comes immediately after Zeta). It's a bit jarring at the least, but the whole thing is pretty interesting.

It is hilarious to see him go through all those random emo spells... ;p

Thus far, despite Gundam having so many incarnations, most of them have been entertaining even if all weren't so high quality. 00 I guess I liked the least, could absolutely not get into it due to lack of concern. 0083 was probably closest to what you'd dislike (the cast is rather dislikable) but at least it had a decent story, and Gundam Seed I've been told to avoid like the plague because it involves Guilty Crown's writer.
  10. Last Sinner
    2011-12-31 12:55
    Last Sinner
    Well, you gave an amusing short piece of hate. So I figured I'd better give one about love in return. Why on earth it ended up that way, blame it on my daydreams about females making out and getting down with each other. I really struggle to think of a couple to write about where I like the guy as he originally was, so I seem to feel more comfortable when writing about two women. I can't say I've seen a case of romance in anime where I truly dug the couple. There's always at least two factors that rduce the 'Awww!' factor and make me facepalm. My IRL friends and I once had a series of messages back and forth talking about all the watchable romance anime we had seen and saying what we liked and what drove us nuts, all coming to the conclusion any romance anime would drive us bonkers before finally giving us satisfaction in the couple. I thought since it was Christmas and your piece gave me a temporary obsession with rhyming, why not just dive into the deep end and write something utterly abusurd yet deliciously yurilicious. I did alert Triple_R to its existence but no word yet. Maybe he's more in shock than you were. ^^

I saw your top 10 list. A good list. Although on a personal note...you might be a bit disgusted at me. I've really tried to get into the Gundam franchise. But most of the series drive me bonkers or bore the heck out of me. G was okay because of Mister Asia. But the only one I've followed up and kept watching is...*drum roll*...Double Zeta! And I can imagine you facepalming after reading that. Sorry man. Kamille, Amuro and everyone else - I lose my mind quickly over them. Judau and the antics that cast get up to - I dug that right away. The sticking point for me is Judau is not a prick like most male protagonists are for me. He may be a bit in denial at times, but for the greater part, the guy just does what he has to and goes with the flow. I know that series made Bright look a lot more stupid than he was in the first two series and that it's really a parody series that was meant to kill the franchise since Tomino hates franchises. But...ANIME JA NAI! I love that theme so much! And that cast is...likeable! Something that's freaking rare for me in any Gundam title I've tried! Typical I'd like the Gundam series that a good deal of people consider the most unlike the franchise!