AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Last Sinner

Notices

Conversation Between Last Sinner and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 141
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-07-18 02:03
    0utf0xZer0
    As you may have gathered from my prior VMs to Triple_R about Total Eclipse, I had a rather different impression. I was quite looking forward to seeing how the vaguely Taisho Yakyuu Musume cast would deal with the hardening process. That, of course did not happen though I actually did find the second episode's "last stand" nature pretty engaging.

Somehow, I'm still looking forward to more after episode 3 and I'm not quite sure why. The resentment of the Japanese-American pilot towards his full Japanese commanding officer is an intruging development and the Nepalese girl (who appears to be the designated Ms. Fanservice) is cute, but in general I found the personalities and clashes of the newly introduced main cast characters far too over the top for my taste. Maybe it has to do with the setting, as my taste in mecha settings tends far more to stuff like FMP than Gundam and I think this tends a bit towards the former, which is not the norm.

It probably helps that I typically watch it in my "end of weekend" block along with (currently) Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari and Hyouka as well due to the release timing.

I did have some stuff to say about the ecchi night thing but then got super busy, so for now I'll just note that I'm glad Yosuga no Sora episode 5 was a hit because that bath scene gets my vote as the pinnacle of anime format ero-moe.

P.S. What Kyoto has achieved with Chitanda Eru terrifies me. And I'm not talking about the purple eyes memes. I'm talking about the way she leans over tables, hiccuping on (far too many, it turns out) whiskey chocolates, or gets constantly sidetracked while running her festival errands.

P.S.#2: What would you say the key personality traits of Yosuga no Sora's Akira are?
  2. Last Sinner
    2012-07-16 09:54
    Last Sinner
    I tried Muv-Luv ep1. I was rather disappointed. Those overshadowed and oily textures that plagued the 90s combined with genericness all around gave me no reason to continue. Sword Art Online only it is for this season.
  3. Last Sinner
    2012-07-03 11:53
    Last Sinner
    So an ecchi themed night happened a few hours ago at the club. Here's how it went down.

Chobits 4 - People were entertained. Chii chanting pantsu and Sumomo's militant yet cute antics made people laugh.

Gunbuster 2 - The perils of bathing in an open batch on a spaceship. ^^; People liked. But Gunbuster is win anyway.

Haganai ep3 - Sena in a swimsuit - after her WTF attempt at trying to read h dialogue. People liked.

Golden Boy 5 - I doubt anyone there that night will EVER feel the same way about motorcycles ever again! XD. Definitely the most popular item of the night.

Ebichu 8 - Some loved and some cringed. As expected.

Yosuga no Sora 5 - Went down better than I expected. I honestly thought this was the one that would make people get uncomfortable. They were amused and Akira's bath scene moment had the effect I thought it would. Motoka's special at the end got a lot of thumbs up. Amusingly some people are game to watch the show now.

Seikon no Qwaser 11 - The only mistake of the night...Why the pres picked this one is beyond everyone...I AM SCARRED. And so was everyone else...aside from a yaoi fangirl with sadistic tendencies and like of crossdressing and traps. Still, that doesn't explain how she handled the inhumanity...This title gave me the absolute creeps. Won't surprise me if it ends up being the wooden spooner in the annual poll. Even those with loose or ecchi tastes found this to go way too far. I have to say, I didn't think certain yuri-ish moments could be made utterly bland/chilling - but this show did it....

Infinite Stratos 6 - Did I expect them to like the show? Not really - which was about right. Did I expect them to like Charlotte? Yes - and they did. ^^

Overall, for a night that could have been a disaster for most people, it ended up going well. Qwaser was the only negative.
  4. Last Sinner
    2012-06-05 08:45
    Last Sinner
    There are three more titles in this project coming up.

It has a weird charm, that first one. I was kind of reminded of Usagi Drop for a weird reason. Then when I checked seiyuus later, the male VA did Daikichi in Usagi Drop. ^^;

I'm kinda sad this title seems to be quite unnoticed. If my mate didn't show it to me on Saturday, I'd never have known myself.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-06-05 01:48
    0utf0xZer0
    I like it... it's like an twisted and messed up version of Ika Musume.

A friend had mentioned a "spider-loli" anime a while back, other than that I wasn't familiar with it.
  6. Last Sinner
    2012-06-04 08:14
    Last Sinner
    Have you seen this title from March? It single handedly snapped me out of my rut of being unable to watch anime for a month. The first offering of an intriguing project, good animation, a very intriguing/hard to forget tale for a 25 min title. But most relevant to you - something you probably thought that could never possibly be moe has been made moe in a very weird, intriguing way.

Watch it when you get the chance if you haven't yet and let me know what you think. I think you'd like it.
  7. Last Sinner
    2012-05-23 08:12
    Last Sinner
    Pretty much the same reasons I watch Fujiko Mine. Sayo Yamamoto directs titles about feministas/femme fatales - her other directing was Mitchiko Hatchin. Koike's artwork is as sweet as it was in Redline and other works. Okada is probably having fun. Watanabe's influence on the music director is evident. A mix of the new and old for good times.

I'm way behind due to having seen next to no anime in the last month. On the upside, I submitted quiz night material this week for the convention in July. Submitting panel soon as well. Hopefully IRL will give me some time soon. But I get the feeling the sudden craving to go and get Catherine might get in the way somewhat, heh.

Sucks to hear that about your GF. Hope you guys get to hook up more soon. Hope the job and exams go well.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-05-23 02:10
    0utf0xZer0
    Between exams, my summer job (managed to score something related to my studies for once, which is quite cool), and her being away for a while, my girlfriend and I haven’t been seeing each other as much as we were prior to this season. We’ve mainly been watching Saki, though we’ve squeezed in some episodes of Sankarea, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Tsuritama as well.

To be honest, my favourites list hasn’t changed that much over the season thus far:
    Aquarion Evol: the carryover. I’m pretty much watching it for the same reason as everyone else: it’s the King of Trolls and the Queen of Trolls, and together they make one hell of a Joker. And unlike AKB0048, I don’t need support from friends to enjoy the ride.
    Fate/Zero S2: The flashbacks haven’t interested me as much as the main arc did, but the foul play in some of the episodes – 16 and 17 in particular – and its fallout has been riveting.
    Fujiko Mine: Normally I tend to prefer cute to sexy, but Fujiko brings so much classy fun to the “tricketer manhunter” archetype I can’t help but dig it. Style and setting are gorgeous too. Let down just slightly by the fact I can’t quite suspend disbelief enough not to notice how excessively elaborate those deathtraps are.
    Hyouka: Yamada Naoko (the director of K-On!) once said something to the effect of that she thought girls are naturally moe, and she showed exactly what that meant when she got some more original episodes to play with in K-On’s second season: a natural, free flowing sort of moe that doesn’t let it’s otaku origins stand out in a bad way like much of the competition. It’s been a while since then and Yamada’s not at the helm here but Kyoto has definitely taken those values to heart here – I haven’t been this impressed by the “feel” and style of a Kyoto work since Kanon 2006 made me realize what moe anime was capable of back in the day. Plus, I can kind of related to Oreki’s feeling out of place among enthusiastic people even if I don’t agree with his solution.
    Jormungand: It’s best moments – in particular the fast one Koko pulls on her opponents in episode two and the “going postal” flashback in episode five – are brilliant.
    Mysterious Girlfriend X: Lots of ero-cuteness, a bit of romance, and a whole lot more intelligence than the concept might have suggested. A bit more subtle than B Gata H Kei (another personal favourite ecchi comedy).
    Sakamichi no Apollon: Along with Hyouka, one of the late arrivals to this list. I think I like this in part because I like my romance, but it’s really the “brotherhood” of sorts between the two male leads that sets this anime apart – not just from other anime, but apart from a lot of other stuff as well.
    Tasogare Otome X Amnesia: No 0utf0xZer0 season favourite list would be complete without my insisting that at least one B list moe/ecchi/harem show is better than all the other B list moe/ecchi/harem shows airing at the same time. This time around, that position goes to Tasogare Otome. Sure, it’s too melodramatic to match Oonuma’s work on EF (okay, EF is melodramatic too but it carries it oh so much better) and Momoe is often as annoying as humourous. But I like the “(slightly horny) trickster and the boy who can see her” pairing, the show plays some neat games with how people see Yuuko, and use of light and colour is great, and it’s looking like that “amnesia” aspect of the plot actually holds some rather sinister surprises after all.

Finally, since my Russian friend is going all over the place on multi-week trips this summer and only occasionally stopping back to visit, we decided not to try and keep up with a lot of currently airing shows in our group sessions (Fate/Zero seems to be a rare exception, maybe we’ll get back on track with more MGX or Tasogare but I wouldn’t count on it). As my brother and our other friend tend to crap out at long before us hardcore types (like, 11PM) and we became friends in part because of our shared appreciation of fine kemonomimi moe, we’ve decided to do some late night “catgirl marathon” sessions.

In other words I’m rewatching Utawarerumono for the first time in about six years, and just as with my rewatches of Moon Phase and Kurenai, I’m loving it every bit as much as I did the first time around (makes me want to rewatch EF and Iriya no Sora…). The character and setting designs still appeal to me in a way most shows can’t match – it’s nice to be reminded exactly why Eruruu is part of my kemonomimi “trinity” along with Spice and Wolf’s Horo and Otome Youkai Zakuro’s Zakuro. And having subsequently heard her very different roles in Kurenai and Bakemonogatari, I’m quite impressed with Miyuki Sawashiro’s performance as Aruruu.
  9. Last Sinner
    2012-05-22 07:53
    Last Sinner
    So what's burning bright for the moe scholar lately?

And what's been mutual watching with the girlfriend?
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-04-21 02:02
    0utf0xZer0
    Faith in the production might be a better way to put it than faith in the staff. I have a decent degree of confidence in Oonuma's skills because I usually like his directorial choices... but what BakaTest and C3 proved is that he only really shines when working with a good source (ie. EF).

The effect is more psychological than anything else - when I watch a show where I'm not sure if it'll be good or not, the mood is more tense, the weak points stand out more, and I end up enjoying it less. Conversely, if I think the show will end up being good overall I tend to be relaxed and easily shrug off flaws.

I've also noticed that I tend to give shows I'm uncertain about a priority on my "to watch" list second only to stuff I'm really pumped for during the second and third weeks of a given season... helps to hammer out the list of what I'm watching, I guess.

I've sometimes made lists of traits shared by shows I like in a particular genre but never for anime as a whole. And even then I tend to find there's a lot of variation - most shows I like hit some but not all of the traits I like.