AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Last Sinner

Notices

Conversation Between Last Sinner and Reckoner
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 80
  1. Reckoner
    2012-03-01 21:48
    Reckoner
    Quote:
    I'm watching Space Battleship Yamato in full until someone gives me a convincing argument to watch anything from 2012. I still haven't heard one.
    Should we bend down on our knees for you? Look, I see that you're not happy with current anime (I have my own grievances myself), but what's the point of going from wall to wall of people just to complain in such an immature way? Are you looking for attention ?
  2. Last Sinner
    2012-02-09 10:08
    Last Sinner
    Well, as long as you know what you're in for. Having strong, valid views is one thing. Knowing the right time and place to say it is another.

Well, when I ask people about Squid Girl, they generally find it light and easy to watch. It works. We're about to start playing Season 2.

And yeah, one day soon I might finally be able to watch something from 2012. I had a marathon of Liar Game live-action that is easily the best thing I've seen in quite a while. After that, it's going to be downhill, I guess.
  3. Reckoner
    2012-02-08 21:59
    Reckoner
    Thanks for the concern?

Really lol, I've been on this forum for over a good 4 years now. I understand the issue and no, I won't stop expressing myself just because certain individuals can't handle it.

Anyways, I do find it odd that of all things it's squid girl that's not a very polarizing show, but that's just me . Something like Usagi Drop make sense. It's mature and very unoffensive. The most it might do is bore certain crowds. Squid girl doesn't quite give me a picture like that.
  4. Last Sinner
    2012-01-30 10:57
    Last Sinner
    It's not like all that is moe or somewhat moe bombed in that poll. Minami-ke was 9th, Aria stunned a lot of people by reaching 17th. The thing is moe for the sake of moe and so saccharine tends to really rile some people. Some that mix in some wit and spice (Minami-ke) or some very trippy yet luxurious visuals (Aria) please the majority of that lot.

In that poll it's not about what gets the most 9s or 10s to get to the top - it's about what got the least low scores. The reason Madoka ended up 96th was because 8 people gave it 8 or more while the rest voted 3 or less. Aka it's a polarising show. And in a club environment, polarising shows don't do so well. Even Steins;Fate polarised a lot of people. To create a playlist that works for a club environment with so much variation in taste, you do need to find some titles that may not be everyone's fave but be something most people can just chill to or laugh and mutually agree 'This show was fun to watch here.' And that's why Squid Girl reached a tie for 1st spot - it only had 1 person vote it down while everyone else gave a high score. Anything that reached the top 10 only had 1-2 people vote it low. Polarising shows attract as much negative votes as they do positive. Shows like Squid Girl and anything else in that top 10 hit common ground for a lot of people. And therein lies the challenge to pleasing a larger group of people - finding something they can all appreciate. There always has to be a few shows like that on the playlist to make it work.

On a different issue - it might be time for you to stop posting in currently airing threads about how much you don't like them. You have valid points, but this is Animesuki - a place that doesn't like people telling them they don't like their show in threads made for them created purely for liking it. You may have decent intentions overall but your methods aren't exactly the type most people can appreciate. Advice as someone who can appreciate your stance - know when to take a stand and when to let people be. A lot of people don't like being told how to think or that they're wrong. If you're going to do that, be strategic and more careful about how you do it.
  5. Reckoner
    2012-01-30 01:01
    Reckoner
    I truly question the presence of squid girl up that high, but I mean, the only real difference between that and a lot of other people is simply the amount of older series being incorporated into your viewing schedules. It looks fairly typical for people who are not that into moe.

It's an alright list.
  6. Last Sinner
    2012-01-24 10:25
    Last Sinner
    Well, as promised, the AJAS poll results are finally out in full...

http://forum.ajas.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1939

Now how does THAT sit with you? Quite different from Suki and the like, aren't we? ^^
  7. Last Sinner
    2012-01-18 09:12
    Last Sinner
    Due to IRL issues and health problems, haven't been able to watch anything yet from this season. But I do intend to have a gander at most titles.

Quote:
    Nisemonogatari - Assuming you hate.
    Correct.

Quote:
    Moretsu Pirates - Assuming you found mediocre. Find it to be pretty solid so far, but not remarkable.
    Nadesico director and Kana Hanazawa doing a voice is enough reason for me to try.

Quote:
    Another - Assuming you'd find it mediocre. Find it to be pretty good so far.
    Acutally, this is the title I'm most interested in.

Quote:
    Rinne no Lagrange - Not sure what you would think. Dumb yuri mecha show, but it's pretty fun adn enjoyable iwth a little throwback to the 90's.
    Depends on level of stupidity and whether the yuri is demeaning. Because if it is, adios.

Quote:
    Daily Lives of high School Boys - No idea if you would like. Find it pretty refreshingly funny, though don't know how long that will last.
    Depends on how much they remind me of people from my high school. If I am reminded, I will drop it immediately. My high school years were pure hell.

Quote:
    Knight in the Area - Reminds me of adachi style stuff. If you're into it, might enjoy, though not as good as Adachi himself.
    Maybe. Never been able to get into baseball or sport series aside from One Outs.

Quote:
    Natsume Book of Friends 4th Season - Still same goodness I've come ot expect form this series. No idea if you were ever into it.
    Watched season 1 in full and liked it. Season 2 began to bore me significantly. There is not enough fujioshi in me to watch all the way to and including a 4th season. I prefer Mushishi. We played 2 seasons of Natsume at the club last year, so you'll see it when I show poll results.

Still carrying:

Quote:
    Hunter x Hunter(2011) - As a shonen fan I like it. More faithful to the manga than it's older version.
    Just not my thing.

Quote:
    Last exile Fam S2 - Good, but some qualities in it that make it a little less special than the original.
    I can't watch it. And this is from a person who had Last Exile as his #1 for 8.5 years.

Quote:
    Chihayafuru - Fantastic show really. Pretty flawless in the technical department.
    Easily my fave of 2011. Utterly disgusted it may end up being the lowest selling title of 2011. Club will play it this year at all costs.

Another was probably at the top of my viewing interest along with Amagami SS Plus. Currently watching through the original Amagami then I'll will myself to finish Steins;Gate so I can finally move onto 2012. 4th arc of Amagami original gave me a very rare warm feeling. 2nd arc did to a degree as well.
  8. Reckoner
    2012-01-18 05:52
    Reckoner
    Shows I'm seriously following.

Nisemonogatari - Assuming you hate. Disappointed with episode 2, but still promising and ejoyed episode 1.
    Moretsu Pirates - Assuming you found mediocre. Find it to be pretty solid so far, but not remarkable.
    Another - Assuming you'd find it mediocre. Find it to be pretty good so far.
    Rinne no Lagrange - Not sure what you would think. Dumb yuri mecha show, but it's pretty fun adn enjoyable iwth a little throwback to the 90's.
    Daily Lives of high School Boys - No idea if you would like. Find it pretty refreshingly funny, though don't know how long that will last.
    Knight in the Area - Reminds me of adachi style stuff. If you're into it, might enjoy, though not as good as Adachi himself.
    Natsume Book of Friends 4th Season - Still same goodness I've come ot expect form this series. No idea if you were ever into it.

Still carrying:

Hunter x Hunter(2011) - As a shonen fan I like it. More faithful to the manga than it's older version.
    Last exile Fam S2 - Good, but some qualities in it that make it a little less special than the original.
    Chihayafuru - Fantastic show really. Pretty flawless in the technical department.
  9. Last Sinner
    2012-01-17 09:34
    Last Sinner
    Club poll's actually tutning out much better than I thought it would. I'll have full results to link you in a week.

What's on your watch list this season?
  10. Last Sinner
    2012-01-12 09:48
    Last Sinner
    Quote:
    Well that just does not seem like a very agreeable way of viewing entertainment. I worry less about what others are getting out of it of more what I am getting out of it.
    I'm obliged to since I cater for around 40 people a week for 11 months of the year.

Quote:
    Yes, people will act in depraved manners, and please I am not so naive to think people view entertainment in the way I do. I am well aware of how most people view things on a first level basis when it comes to digesting entertainment. This is not me trying to say I am better than them because I can appreciate the story in a deeper way, it's just me saying I look at things differently.
    Didn't mean any offense, had to be sure you understood.

Quote:
    I really don't seem to agree that Fate/Zero doesn't bring a conscience into it all. Saber has been looking upon Kiritsugu with an incredulous eye the entire show. Lancer has been trying to put his chivalry in front of the usual backstabbing going on. Rider obviously was angry with Caster's actions when he burned his place down. Kariya, though going in the deep end a bit, is obviously incited by Tokiomi and his actions. For all the bad things going on, you cannot possibly say that there aren't characters raising these questions to the audience.
    Saber - yes. Lancer - fairly but pheromones will get the better of him. Rider - kind of but I don't think he really cares much about people beyond himself. Kariya - initially yes, now probably not but hard to tell since he's had nearly stuff-all airtime since ep1. I guess my point was that while there is somewhat of a conscience within Fate/Zero, it is still too easy for people to skip over it and take it in gratuitously. When I speak to Fate/Stay Night fans, they like the game for moral, honest, admirable reasons. Fate/Zero - not finding that anywhere near as much. And Urobuchi has to shoulder that somewhat. He and Shinbo were trigger happy in Madoka. Did he honestly think people would forget that or not have a somewhat similar mentality approaching Fate/Zero?

Quote:
    I think you're letting other people's thoughts and opinions disrupt your own viewing experience perhaps. Yeah, sure, like usual certain people miss the fucking point of a narrative because they only view things on a first level basis. That's why you see certain individuals pissing on the story because the grail war doesn't seem death match enough without more named characters dying every episode, because Saber is a in a moment of weakness she is obviously a boring and stupidly naive character, and other ridiculous claims.
    That almost happened, so I stopped reading threads or talking to anyone else about the show, took a couple of weeks from it then watched 12 and 13. As for 'first level basis' - I think that's a by-product of modern society. Of the desensitisation to violence, the loss of optimism and ambition in a world that has been fairly grim of late, but also of the eternal human desire to see/inflict misery on others because it means that someone else in the world is suffering more than they are. It's an inherent human trait that has been around probably forever. But I tire of it. I can't get much from destruction and doom anymore. I get enough of finding meaning within destruction from music, movies and other forms of media. I need something to give me hope, as well as provide some insight/warmth from everyday things that I normally take for granted. Which anime is able to do for me.