AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Last Sinner

Notices

Conversation Between Last Sinner and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 444
  1. Last Sinner
    2015-05-10 15:39
    Last Sinner
    No worries mate, it's what friends are for.

Here's something I felt you might appreciate.

Drawings of a depressed office lady. They're simple yet so effective and honest. I found it impossible not to be moved by these. Particularly that in a vicarious world, this has the opposite effect, invoking a lot of sympathy instead.
  2. Triple_R
    2015-05-10 10:01
    Triple_R
    The timing of that last Visitor Message was excellent, LS. It's very appreciated.

In fact, after some of the replies I got yesterday, I decided to go back and read what you said to me back in January 2013 in a different Visitor Message. That was useful, because it helped me disengage. Your advice, and my own "never get into a 1-on-4 debate where you're the 1" personal rule was thankfully enough for me to think "I've said my piece, minds aren't likely to change, so it's now time to get out".

I'll probably write more to you in a VM later on. I have to say that I definitely value how much of a true friend you are. I won't ever forget how you're consistently there for me during my toughest times here on AS.
  3. Last Sinner
    2015-05-10 08:15
    Last Sinner
    Well, commendation for sticking your neck out like you did in that doujin thread. Pretty freaking sad that you had to end up defending the fact you despise rape. Just goes to show how people in general feel about it. So kudos for standing firm to common sense in the face of stupidity.

It isn't an issue confined to doujins - it's present in all creative material. Cruelty to characters is expected in literature and the authors I've met have said you've got to be willing to go to a considerable extent to do that in order to create an effective piece of work. It stems from the vicarious needs of humans in general and the general idea that most people don't like seeing others being happy when their own life is miserable. So when those people see characters suffering more than they are, it gives some form of satisfaction to them.

Another factor would be power. Hell, not just those that consume that author's work - probably the author themselves. Having the power to inflict immesurable pain on a character is probably a real thrill for some people. Disgusting, but there are people like that out there. Frankly, NTR isn't far from that either - being able to take someone away from who they're with, make them want you and throw away everything they previously cared about. That stuff seems to appeal particularly to people who can't tolerate anything positive and demand others be miserable.

Another factor that irks me is in a lot of works that are consensual, they're far too oriented to the male's desires. They don't involve/allow the female to be able to feel good in the process or on a mutual level - that the author dictated the male sill had to be the one getting most of the pleasure and the one in control.

As for morphing/altering what a character is, I don't even want to comprehend what people in general think of characters these days. My times of hearing how people felt about Saber during Fate/Zero airing and Shiki in the Garden of Sinners movies left me very sickened and jaded. I don't ever what to be in discussion threads ever again after what I heard/saw there. Perhaps, like previously discussed - it's a power thing. Defile the ones they despise. Pathetic, it is.

Actually, it just occured to me. You know what one character is really apt to discuss here? Asuna from Sword Art Online. Think about it. For 14 eps, they built her up during the SAO arc as being someone that was capable, on Kirito's level and able to stand on her own feet. Then ALO happens and what did she get? Stuck in a cage, given an elven look, being treated like a prize to be won. And let's not forget that pathetic scene where there were tentacles that found her in that console room. That crap was intentionally playing to rape tropes and it was disgusting. I've never been able to watch the ALO arc since because of how blatantly it then tried to morph Asuna against what had been done before and make her more of a 'property' rather than a person. As if it felt that it had to be spelt out that Kirito is boss and that anyone around him eventually needs him to save them. But hey, people ate it up. Lots of people I've read about specifically buy the ALO versions of Asuna merch. *shrug* But hey, I think we've established in previous discussions that a good deal of anime fans can't handle capable females and that unless they're cut down to size, so to speak, those people want nothing to do with them. Pathetic, but when the dollars come in to support it, I doubt it will stop anytime soon. It seems to be something that goes hand in hand with a reasonable proportion of moe.

As for me, vanilla and yuri - that's all I'm intersted from a doujin perspective. There are some artists out there that do it well and with some unique traits. Hard to find but worth it. Don't know what problem it is that so many people have with consensual sex. Some people just want to watch the world burn, I guess.

Peace, R3. May less idiots go after you the next time you discuss things politely. Unlikely, but one can hope.
  4. Last Sinner
    2015-05-03 03:34
    Last Sinner
    Citrus actually climbed to #4 on the US chart. Amazing.
  5. Last Sinner
    2015-04-28 07:47
    Last Sinner
    I felt you would probably appreciate this. Made me smile for about 10 seconds.
  6. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 12:38
    Last Sinner
    The title in question is Gundam Recognuista. Even Tomino admits he got this wrong big time. But Nico Nico are tearing him to pieces over it.

On things differentiating from the norm, it's something My Love Story does on such a simple point. Almost any romance title takes the entirety of its existence for the two in question to finally become a couple. My Love Story settles that so quickly it's refreshing - not to mention that it's gone down well in a country that normally shuns relatively quick resolution for the intiial phase of romance. So there are a few things changing. Also a year where a game like Huniepop was accepted onto and received well overall on Steam. Apparently JAST USA is intending to do business with Steam now, so shall be interesting to see what appears on Steam as a result. (Yeah, I am SO hoping Seinarukana is one of them)

By the way, how did your progression on Huniepop go?
  7. Triple_R
    2015-04-25 08:46
    Triple_R
    Quote:

So...what's the deal with healing? Is it meant to be relief from the real world after hard days at work and/or an outlet for the socially reclusive?
    Yes, pretty much. That's a very good nutshell explanation of it. "Healing anime" tends to be very sentimental and emotional. It's focused more on human relationships and daily living than specific themes or concepts (like in Sci-Fi) or complex plots. I like some healing anime myself, but I like to compliment it with shows that are more dramatic, intense, action-packed, and
    thought-provoking. In fairness to Tomino, "healing anime" can be a bit limiting for a director/writer, so I get his complaint. What was his recent botched project, by the way?

Great to hear that a Milk Morinaga-like manga is selling very well! I honestly think the potential readership/viewership for this sort of mature/realistic yuri content is underestimated by the publishers and producers and corporate types. Some people like a sort of yuri-tease, but many are getting tired of it, and definitely would like more stories like Girl Friends.

Thanks for the compliment on my taste. It's good to know that you and I and some other people want a fuller yuri that goes beyond just silly tease and *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* sort of content.
  8. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 04:40
    Last Sinner
    Pleasant surprise I just saw on the New York Best Sellers list.

Citrus volume 2 is #7 on the list - aka both volumes released so far have made the top 10 at some point. A miracle if you consider everything else on the list...

How about it. A title focusing on a yuri relationship under relatively normal circumstances can sell. Maybe Milk Morinaga did achieve positive change with Girl Friends.

Wish I knew these people with taste and decency...

Oh wait, you're one, that's a start.
  9. Last Sinner
    2015-04-25 02:13
    Last Sinner
    Wanted to ask something about something I read today.

Apparently Tomino made a real clown of himself with his latest botched project. When he spoke about why he was trying to do what he did (but lost sight of the story in the process), he said he was tired about alomost all anime being about cute girls and/or 'healing'.

So...what's the deal with healing? Is it meant to be relief from the real world after hard days at work and/or an outlet for the socially reclusive?
  10. Last Sinner
    2015-04-22 09:11
    Last Sinner
    Yurikuma Arashi would be the most recent example.

Notably, looking through titles people considered to have yuri subtext, there were a reasonable amount that weren't violent. But the more popular ones that have it are violent.

And yeah, your point on K-ON - Free really is the gender-swapped version, isn't it. Back in the days of Junjou Romantica and Gravitation, it was glam then as well, but it was dramatic. So I guess the trends have reversed. Although yuri is going darker in comparison. Not sure if something like Utena ever went that dark, so it really feels that Madoka set the trend.