AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Last Sinner

Notices

Conversation Between Last Sinner and Haak
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Last Sinner
    2013-01-17 20:04
    Last Sinner
    I think Alfheim Online falls under the 'Don't Mention The War' tag for me..hard to believe that LN franchise is now into a 9th novel and world hops every 2 volumes...
  2. Last Sinner
    2013-01-17 14:57
    Last Sinner
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently determining a top 10 list of 2012 and while Fate/Zero didn't make the list, I don't think Sword Art Online will either. (Finally recommenced it now that IRL friends and online friends have shut up about it)

Well, if you're able to recognise that, that's good and thank you. But I'm tired...it's not just here I feel hounded by people about Fate/Zero. It's IRL too - a good deal of young adults I know rave on about it all the time and give me the weird/cold look when I said I wasn't into it as much as they were.
  3. Haak
    2013-01-17 14:37
    Haak
    Haha lol, that's not why I'm lurking: It was just a passing interest. If it makes you feel any better, I actually sympathise with you. Fate Zero was my favourite of the year but there were plenty of other great titles and the gap between them and Fate Zero is very small, and I just don't think the current results reflect that.
  4. Last Sinner
    2013-01-17 13:51
    Last Sinner
    For the record, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I'm merely being honest. I presume that's why you've been lurking. I read the F/Z novels several times. I watched the 2nd season after all the hype passed. And...I really don't care. Aside from moments in Episodes 18 and 19, S2 of F/Z left me very unfulfilled, underwhelmed and disgusted. Disgusted partially towards the show, but moreso towards anime fans themselves and the attitudes/mannerisms/expectations that have come since. And that makes me very sad indeed. Most of all from Urobuchi's writing. But I've beaten that drum far too many times. I really don't care how much of an outsider that makes me. F/Z will quickly vanish into the mists of time for me.
  5. Haak
    2012-10-30 14:24
    Haak
    Thanks for the info. I kinda knew a little bit about the budget issues (which definitely showed in the last episode) and his depression (which might explain why the ending of the TV series seems so much like some group therapy with the cheesy congratulations at the end) but not in detail. I suppose that's the quirk of going into an incredibly famous series decades old. There's a lot to learn not just about the story itself but the background and the even the fandom, before you truly feel up to date.
  6. Last Sinner
    2012-10-30 07:50
    Last Sinner
    Saw you talk with AW. Fyi, budget issues meant there was effectively none left for the last 5 episodes of the original Eva series. And Anno admits himself at that point in his life, he was a messed up person and let certain issues (his girlfriend dumping him on her deathbed was a critical one) get to him too much. The four movies in the remake are what Anno considers to be how he should have done it, but with Anno, one can never truly tell. He did spend a lot of his earlier years with Miyazaki on Future Boy Conan, Nausicaa and other projects before they went to Ghibli and Gainax respectively. Anno was in a somewhat stable state when he directed Nadia of the Blue Water at the start of the 90s, but it is generally accepted he was somewhat crazy when Eva was made.

Ironically, I also watched a show this weekend that I put off for years. I finally watched Cowboy Bebop. Helps when people finally aren't forcing opinons or spoilers on you.
  7. Haak
    2012-07-11 03:38
    Haak
    Lol, thanks.
  8. Last Sinner
    2012-07-10 18:01
    Last Sinner
    Love your new avatar. Feel So Moon!
  9. Last Sinner
    2012-03-02 15:28
    Last Sinner
    I can offer some explanation as to why I liked the original and why it was one of the few titles Gonzo succeeded with.

Certainly there are world setting gaps. That much is certain and why I can't give Last Exile a 10. What I can garner is that effectively the world everyone lives in is dying. The Guild are the only faction with the technology and the power to keep the world from ruin. But due to their own arrogance and belief they are perfect, they don't see a need to and revel in the suffering of the other factions. The two factions at the start are warring because one of them is boiling to death while the other one is freezing - simply they both need land and they go to war for it because they know by themselves, the Guild can't be beaten and that they don't know how to harness the power that can save the world.

The original's true drawcard was its characters. Claus was a bit of a dreamer at times, but in terms of being a reliable hero, one not ruled by his cock and staying loyal to his friends and simple human decency amongst the worst of situations, he was a good hero. Lavie was liked for being spunky, fresh, energetic and sticking it to the men, plus she was the character design that made Range Murata's art popular back in the day. Alex was symbolic of dead man walking and living only to exact revenge on Delphine in pennance for his failures, plus he was a cunning strategist. Sophia was a very admirable woman for rising against the stupidity of her kingdom's nobles and rallying both factions to come to their senses for the greater good, plus her doomed love for Alex was bittersweet. Someone able to put aside their personal feelings and do what is right is rare in this world, so Sophia was able to shine in a way few can. Then there was the 'cradle snatcher' kiss - hilarious moment. as for Dio, his boyman antics and acting as the traditional fantasy role of the catalyst who acts to set things in motion but is ultimately screwed, were good fun.

It offered an unusual fusion of Civil War battle styles and garb, European settings, steam punk technology, a bit of bishie and moe designs but not at a diabetic level, Dolce Triade's soundtrack was outstanding for its variety of styles and use of pieces that matched scenes well. The package it offered was very different at the time and it's something still not on offer.

The current one seems more like a weird mish-mash of modern flavours mixed in with aspects of the original but not much. Moe never worked in the Last Exile setting in the first place, which was why Lavie and Alvis were never much like that. Fam....she just doesn't fit. And the current cast drives me insane. There's far too many females - particularly ones not that different to each other - present. So we share similar views in that one lot of the casts are working for us and the other isn't, but we sided differently as to which one.

That's the best I can offer.

And on a personal taste level - I can't respect a show that wastes its time early. Early is when you win people over - they lose interest within 1-2 episodes in a lot of cases if you don't do enough. Most people from mid 20s onwards simply don't have the time to be that patient to watch enough and wait for it to improve. But for me, my gut instinct as to a show being bad early not coming good later has had around a 99% accuracy rate. It's why I give shows 1-2 episodes to convince me before dropping them most of the time. Steins;Gate is the only exception. It drove me nuts early. The only thing I liked early was Kurisu - if she wasn't in that show/game, I'd have dropped it. Things markedly improve around the halfway point, but all that tropefesting and punning in the meanwhile - it was amusing for a while but for half a series? It was too long. I wish it got serious sooner. Kurisu really begins to shine when it does and Okabe finally becomes likeable when he has to cast the Hououin persona aside. But that's just me. I know people generally like the innuendo early on. I'm different from most people. *shrug*
  10. Haak
    2012-03-02 14:56
    Haak
    :To be honest I wasn't a major fan of the first series because I never did like the characters, nor did I ever understand why they were all fighting in the first place and how the situation came to be like that. I don't think this series is actually that bad. In fact I like it's incredible world building and setting (and Kanae Ito). I think it does start to improve a lot in the later episodes because they focus more on the war than they do about Fam and Millia, so I'd recommend watching it but from the comments I've seen it really does look like you'll be disappointed if you're a Last Exile fan.

My biggest problem is the same as the problem I had with the first season. I just can't get why they're all fighting in the first place and the explanations given just seem too superficial. So I'm not really the best person to ask about this. Sorry.