AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Arabesque

Notices

Conversation Between Arabesque and Reckoner
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 34
  1. Reckoner
    2011-07-20 17:35
    Reckoner
    It's going to be a little bit before I get to your epic text wall on Idol m@ster .
  2. Arabesque
    2011-07-09 20:36
    Arabesque
    Oh no no no, I should've been clear I meant that a lot of the staff working on the Idolm@ster anime used to belong/working frequently at Gainax (in fact, the director at least had been confirmed to leave the studio to become a freelance, along with others apparently) so while the anime is produced by A-1, the staff themselves are pretty much Gainax (as opposed to Dantalion, which is the actual Gainax show, but with fewer Gainax regulars working on as far as I could tell lol :P)

Anyway, this season ended up being much better than I had first expected. And I was pretty optimistic about it even at first. Lots of things show promise (Mawaru Penguindrum and Usagi Drop are probably going to keep being great throughout their run; Blood-C is going to most likely pull a strong ending and have enough well looking action (same with Sacred Seven I think, at least in the action department)) things that look are going to be enjoyable (Ikoku, Natsume. Maybe the two Kamisama shows) and then there are the ones for the lulz (for me, I'm banking on Manyuu Hikenchou being the most unintentional comedy of the season ).

So lots of stuff to pick from, all showing promise. Too bad most are only a cour long so it's going to be a short watch, but I guess that leaves more room for the Fall (which is going to be brutal )
  3. Reckoner
    2011-07-09 14:22
    Reckoner
    For me I have...

Definitely:

Mawaru Penguindrum
    Kamisama no Memo-chou
    No.6
    Usagi Drop

Most likely:

Dantalion no Shoka (Well it looks good, and it's Gainax).
    Sacred Seven
    Kamisama Dolls
    Blood-C
    The Idolm@ster

Maybe for the lolz:

Ro-Kyu-Bu!

Something dramatic has to happen for me to ever watch:

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee (I haven't even made it past 7 minutes 42 seconds in the first episode)

Of course I still have the two cour shows form last season as well

BTW A-1 pictures is part of Gainax alah Xebec to IG? If so, that's very interesting....
  4. Arabesque
    2011-07-09 14:00
    Arabesque
    Right then, got through with Mayo Chiki! and seen The Idolm@ster.

The first of which was really ... um, well they threw away any sort of pretense about not being about T&A here, that's for sure. Guy jumps on girl, and her shirt and pants all undo themselves automatically (no seriously, they come apart by themselves) and by the end she stand there naked and they don't really react to it much, other than him getting the usual beating his type get. It looks good, but since this is Studio feel, it won't look this good for long Not really interested, aside from being mildly amused.

And the The Idolm@ster ... well, not interested in idols, but this is Gainax and the production values are pretty high. The ideas here are pretty creative, but how creative are they going to go? We'll see ...

So at the moment, shows I'm interested in this season:

Absolutely:
    Mawaru Penguindrum
    BLOOD-C
    Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
    Sacred Seven
    Bunny Drop
    No.6
    Natsume Yuujin-chou San (might watch at my leisure rather than week by week)

Most Likely (depends on the next few episodes):
    The Idolm@ster
    Kami-sama Dolls

Still on the fence:
    Kami-sama no Memo-chou

As for the rest, well, since CR is giving all the UK subscribers the middle finger this time, I'm not sure. I might watch the ''actual'' Gainax show and maybe see if I can add it in somewhere if it's interesting. Plus I have the past seasons crop that I marathon at times (Sket, Gintama, Ao no Exorcist etc.) and the others (Hanasaku Iroha/Tiger & Bunny/Nichijou/Steins;Gate) and whenever Hyouge Mono comes out.

At the moment that's like 10 shows a week tentatively, which is more than enough for me. I guess since there is nothing on Wednesday airing I could watch the lower priority stuff on that day.
  5. Arabesque
    2011-07-08 03:17
    Arabesque
    Oh right, we still have the fall. I have to know who injected the industry with awesome this year so good.

Steins;Gate might be the sci-fi show of the year, but Madoka will always have the better looking (and cooler) time traveler in town

But yeah, Steins;gate is looking like it's taking a really great turn. I wasn't too sold with it at first, but sticking by it, it really paid off. The show is becoming the most engaging sci-fi anime I watched in a long long time.
  6. Reckoner
    2011-07-08 03:01
    Reckoner
    I totally agree man. I'm just loving it this year. No I totally agree with you, Penguindrum has a ton of potential. First anime I rated the first episode 10/10 in a long, long, long time. I was that captivated from start to finish.

Right now Madoka is at the top this year with Steins;gate closely behind it for me (Will pass if its ending is good probably), and I think even this can top those two, and THAT's saying something. Not to mention I still have my lovely Fate/Zero later this year .
  7. Arabesque
    2011-07-08 02:55
    Arabesque
    Right then, got through No.6, Bunny Drop and of course, the main course, Penguindrum.

No.6 was a pretty great start. Very intriguing stuff are going on, and I thought that BL (under)tones weren't really that distracting, and fit with everything else in the show.

Bunny Drop was as I had expected, insanely relaxing. This is the show that I had come to expect originally from the block, and I'm great they are giving it another go

And Penguindrum ... god, this show ... in a year where we had shows like Level E, Madoka, Tiger & Bunny, AnoHana, Hanasaku, Steins;Gate and Wandering Son, I'm banking on this being the anime of the year. Too early to tell, I know, but that's how confident I am in Ikuhara. One episode is all it took to sell me.

2011 is really shaping up to be the best year in anime since '07. Not to say that the past years hadn't had good shows in them, but stuff with this level of quality and care placed in them ... and the amount of variety in the year as well is simply excellent. There is a show for anyone to watch and enjoy.
  8. Reckoner
    2011-07-08 00:50
    Reckoner
    Wow wow wow. Mawaru Penguindrum, wow! Great first episode.
  9. Reckoner
    2011-07-07 20:27
    Reckoner
    Well BL or no BL, I thought the No. 6 episode was pretty good. And damn, I want to see mawaru penguindrum !! GRR. Must resist RAWS!

And yes... 2011 is definitely the year that anime remembered how good it can be. I almost lost all faith these last 2-3 years.
  10. Arabesque
    2011-07-07 18:10
    Arabesque
    Might watch Usagi Drop tomorrow, but Mawaru Penguindrum ... man, 15 years later, and Ikuhara can come in and make most directors looks bad with just one episode.

Artistic and visually superb doesn't even cut it. This is symbolism and art on the level of Utena. Simply fantastic.

2011: The year where anime remembered how good it can be