AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Arabesque

Notices

Conversation Between Arabesque and Reckoner
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 34
  1. Reckoner
    2011-07-07 17:42
    Reckoner
    Haha. Well Thursday had all the biggest shows. Usagi Drop was good as expected, but what I really want to see Mawaru Penguindrum... !!!
  2. Arabesque
    2011-07-07 17:20
    Arabesque
    Lucky number 7 just struck gold
  3. Arabesque
    2011-07-05 16:48
    Arabesque
    Well, you need something to offset the pretentiousness. Victorique was pretentious, but she had Yuuki Aoi make her sound great, Izaya was pretentious but he came off as being a lovable troll, Eden of the East ... I can't think of anything that wasn't pretentious about that show lol but it was intriguing in it's first episode at least. Here though, I couldn't find something to make me put aside that attitude she had.

And lol it doesn't have to dazzle the stage like Hanasaku does, but I expect it to not look like every other JCStaff show. The main lead ... yeah, I don't think he is going to leave much of an impression on me tbh rlof

The show is still interesting, so we'll see where it goes next episode ...
  4. Reckoner
    2011-07-05 16:09
    Reckoner
    Heh, I thought Alice coming off as pretentious was a bit of the point? Not that you have to like that, just saying.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really liked the last scene, it was out of place.

Perhaps a combination of the voice acting and the visuals just made everything seem understated to you. It doesn't quite sparkle like say Hanasaku Iroha . It also doesn't help that the mian character is purposely made to look dull, like a pixel.

Not that I think that way necessarily, but I can understand perhaps why you may have thought that way.
  5. Arabesque
    2011-07-05 13:49
    Arabesque
    I'm surprised as well. I mean, this is the sort of show I should be all over, loving every bit ... but I came out not really interested in it at all.

I don't know, but a lot of it just felt underwhelming, and the end was sort of ... random? I don't know, but Alice was having a nice moment with the lead and then all of the sudden someone breaks into the room and forces her to strip down? And then the guy is blamed? What?

In general, I felt the show was very lacking in just about everything, to the point where I thought it was a poor-man's version Gosick ... Gosick! I mean the music was very low key and nothing like classic Iwasaki, the directing was very uninteresting (that shot when the camera just rotates around the lead couldn't have been more obvious fill in for time) and the voice acting was weak to average (Alice being the best example of weak. You need a good VA to sell her character, and Ogura Yui isn't that VA) and the visuals are all very dull looking. It's washed out by the JCStaff trademark bleaching that makes all their shows look the same without anything unique about them.

It's not all bad though. Like I said, the case was interesting and fairly engaging, and I cared for those involved, but I felt that they could've toned it down with Alice's pretentiousness.

I might give the show a shot again next episode, since like I said, even though the episode left me cold, I didn't feel it was a waste despite being twice as long.

The season otherwise is shaping up pretty average so far. Nothing too bad so far, but nothing really standing out of the mold either. I guess at the moment Ikoku Meiro no Croisée and Sacred Seven are on my watch list with NEET and Kamisama Boobies given another episode or two.

Looks like it's all riding on Thursday. Come on lucky number 7 ...
  6. Reckoner
    2011-07-04 22:27
    Reckoner
    I'm surprised you had such a lifeless reaction to NEET girl detective show.
  7. Arabesque
    2011-06-17 02:08
    Arabesque
    Quote:
    Well it's not that people hate Ano Hana all of a sudden or anything, but a lot of people who were liking it seemed slighted by the fact that Memma is a ghost being revealed.
    While I can understand this a bit, it's not like there wasn't already sufficient clues that Memma was a ghost throughout the show, so there shouldn't have been a reaction this big as dropping the show. The revelation scene wasn't exactly stellar and the whole ghost plot device deal did personally irk me, but I wouldn't say that it removed the emotional-charge the series had been carrying throughout the past nine episodes.
    Quote:
    A lot of people seem to think that just because Ano Hana doesn't make them cry that it isn't good, and now all these people seem to be heading off to Hanasaku as their SoL show (or whatever you want to call it) of choice for the season.
    Thats ... a very strange reasoning tbh.

Anohana doesn't make me cry/feel sad -> go to the lighter Hanasaku

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either, and certainly not at this point late into the series (only an episode left)

I will say this though, as a drama, Anohana is the best show of not only this year, but also 2010 (I would rank in about the same as House of Five Leaves and well above Yosuga no Sora IMO) and really, as much as I love Hanasaku, it doesn't offer the same experience, but a very different one so far with a different pay.
    Quote:
    I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I find the side characters in Hanasaku quite dull and that Ohana heavily carries the torch for the show. Yeah sure, Kou is nice, the mother is an interesting character, and you have the grandmother. But Nako and Minko (Oh god I hate her) really haven't presented much interest to the audience for me personally.
    I personally think that the cast is actually quite likable tbh. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but aside from Yamakan and the Engrish lady, everyone is really a treat to see. I don't agree that they are dull, but they are certainly not as interesting to watch as the Anohana cast (due to how emotionally damaged the characters are which makes for a more interesting watch as they come to terms with their problems (or try to)) I still enjoy watching the Hanasaku cast all the same, and find the situations they end up in just as interesting.
    Quote:
    This is a different opinion than you I'm sure, but at the very least I'm not the only who thinks that Hanasaku is being carried by Ohana.
    I happen to love different opinions so that great

And yes, I disagree. The show isn't so much being ''carried'' by Ohana as much as the focus being centered around her (again, another difference from AnoHana) and that her hot blooded and high-strung behavior is the driving force for the changes the rest of the cast ends up experiencing, and how she starts entering into adulthood etc.

So ultimately, she gets the lion shares of the spot light, but that doesn't mean the rest don't get a chance to spark--- shine (which another reason is why I'm such a huge fan of episode 7) even when they don't get a chance in the limelight. Minko in particular ended up going through changes since episode one to episode eleven, and will continue to do so as Tohana goes into faster gear.
    Quote:
    As for the half way mark... If it's two cours, that means at least twice the development, not half... Which aside form Ohana, there really hasn't been anything on the level of development the main 6 chars have had in Ano Hana. Of course I can hold reservations to the end. But as I see it right now, Hanasaku has a lot of catching up to do.
    I think you've misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not saying that Hanasaku has half of the development Anohana does, but rather that it operates on a different speed and pace than Anohana, with different ways to set up future plot lines, different usage of sub plots etc. plus it works on a more episodic bases, as opposed to Anohana (which is why the comparison is all the more inadequate) so when I say its unfair to compare the two due to one nearing completion and the other nearing the halfway mark, it's due to Anohana finishing telling it's story, while Hanasaku is still in the middle of it.
    Quote:
    Two cours is not an excuse to deliver less content per episode.
    Well, I don't know, has there been less content than usual? I mean sure there was slapstick, and also Episode 7, but once again, two cour has more leg room to explore and stretch out and do these things without worrying about rushing things out. The core storyline is actually quite simple, and doesn't require the entirety of the 24-25 episodes.

Furthermore, episodes like 7 and 3 still advanced the plot and overall developments, so it's not like we still don't get actual content every episode.
  8. Reckoner
    2011-06-16 20:46
    Reckoner
    Quote:
    1) Have they? I mean maybe I missed the people who had been saying that, but so far everyone seems happy with it? and 2) the impression I had is that a lot of people are are actually riding both ships and they are alternating between the two, much like myself (afterall, the two aren't the same. What Hanasaku wants to achieve and is =/= What Anohana wants to achieve and is)
    Well it's not that people hate Ano Hana all of a sudden or anything, but a lot of people who were liking it seemed slighted by the fact that Memma is a ghost being revealed. A lot of people seem to think that just because Ano Hana doesn't make them cry that it isn't good, and now all these people seem to be heading off to Hanasaku as their SoL show (or whatever you want to call it) of choice for the season.

I'm just expressing that I don't see exactly why they're jumping ship at this point.

Quote:
    But I must disagree with this. Aside from thinking that any Compression between the two shows is the same as comparing Tiger & Bunny with Gintama, there is the little part about Hanasaku not being a one-man show (Minko, Nako, Tomoe had all their fair shares of development alongside Ohana) and while I have no problem with the melodrama of the show (Letter Bee sort of melodrama, so it's good) I will say that the shows attempts to appeal my sentimentality is quite annoying when it can be emotionally powerful without it.

Furthermore, it is quite unfair to say a show which is nearing it's halfway mark has a less developed cast than a show on it's penultimate episode, no?
    I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I find the side characters in Hanasaku quite dull and that Ohana heavily carries the torch for the show. Yeah sure, Kou is nice, the mother is an interesting character, and you have the grandmother. But Nako and Minko (Oh god I hate her) really haven't presented much interest to the audience for me personally.

This is a different opinion than you I'm sure, but at the very least I'm not the only who thinks that Hanasaku is being carried by Ohana.

As for the half way mark... If it's two cours, that means at least twice the development, not half... Which aside form Ohana, there really hasn't been anything on the level of development the main 6 chars have had in Ano Hana. Of course I can hold reservations to the end. But as I see it right now, Hanasaku has a lot of catching up to do.

I fully expect hanasaku to have twice the content as Ano Hana (Which I feel at this pace, it's not going to make it). Two cours is not an excuse to deliver less content per episode.
  9. Arabesque
    2011-06-16 18:50
    Arabesque
    Sort of off topic and I have yet to see the episode yet but
    Quote:
    I find funny how many people have been jumping ship from this show the last episode or two and going back to Hanasaku Iroha for their fix.
    1) Have they? I mean maybe I missed the people who had been saying that, but so far everyone seems happy with it? and 2) the impression I had is that a lot of people are are actually riding both ships and they are alternating between the two, much like myself (afterall, the two aren't the same. What Hanasaku wants to achieve and is =/= What Anohana wants to achieve and is)
    Quote:
    I'll say it now though. Hanasaku has nothing on Ano Hana at the moment. The quality of this show, episode by episode, continues to impress, while Hanasaku has consistently gone up and down in quality.
    I'm assuming you are talking about the writing, so to be fair, I'll admit that the problems I had with Hanasaku are slightly more annoying than in Anohana (which does have it's own different problems)
    Quote:
    Sure Ano Hana can be a tad melodramatic at times, but the cast here is just so well developed in comparison to the one man show that is Hanasaku.
    But I must disagree with this. Aside from thinking that any Compression between the two shows is the same as comparing Tiger & Bunny with Gintama, there is the little part about Hanasaku not being a one-man show (Minko, Nako, Tomoe had all their fair shares of development alongside Ohana) and while I have no problem with the melodrama of the show (Letter Bee sort of melodrama, so it's good) I will say that the shows attempts to appeal my sentimentality is quite annoying when it can be emotionally powerful without it.

Furthermore, it is quite unfair to say a show which is nearing it's halfway mark has a less developed cast than a show on it's penultimate episode, no?
  10. Reckoner
    2011-05-27 02:22
    Reckoner
    You're welcome .

Yeah, I really enjoy C, but I just know it could be even more awesome with just a better budget. That's the disappointing thing about it.

And I'm sorry if you felt I directed my post in the hanasaku post at you specifically... I was just speculating if some of the people who disliked 8 also disliked 1 and 2 (There were a few people like that I noticed). I can see why the end of the episode might annoy you, but I guess I really thought nothing of it because I always considered Ohana to be a rather impulsive girl.

The one thing that may annoy me down the road is if they use this to create some sort of feud between Kou and Ohana if Kou sees her with Tohru. That'd be a little bit too contrived of a dramatic scenario for me to swallow. Drama over simple misunderstandings usually gets sour very fast.