AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Arabesque

Notices

Conversation Between Arabesque and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 43
  1. Arabesque
    2012-05-22 17:01
    Arabesque
    Hey man, sorry about the extra late reply on the Hyouka thread. I probably should've said something much sooner, but I wasn't really at the time able to answer you fully at the time due to being somewhat busy IRL.

How have you been lately? Liking how things had been so far?
  2. Arabesque
    2012-05-11 00:49
    Arabesque
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
    I say that because of the care I see in the writing of this show. Part of the reason why I went with "Smooth" as the one word to sum up Hyou-Ka's strengths is the meticulous care I see in how this show is developing its characters, and moving its plot along. It's very, well, smooth. Not exactly exciting, but impressively handled without a sense of uneven pacing or jarring scene transitions.
    Do you think that's really a strength of the writing, or the visual direction though?

I found that there were more details begin unveiled via the art, animation or even via Oreki's imaginative spots than I seen through the dialogue. Heck, in a lot of way I think the transitions between the scenes is as you put it smooth due to how well the direction had been.

Not that I disagree with you, but I'm interested in what you think the writing had a hook other than what I've seen.
  3. Arabesque
    2012-04-28 09:40
    Arabesque
    Being the huge Chidamari Sketch Madoka Magica that you are, I was wondering if your interested in leaving some thoughts in the thread about the man behind the story.

It would certainly take a load off what I'm writing but seriously, I'd love to hear your thoughts
  4. Arabesque
    2012-03-18 03:59
    Arabesque
    I like Hare because she's the one person in the cast I would actually love to have her as a friend. She has a balanced personality, overly nice but wont allow others to walk over her, caring without being clingy, she's humble and shy without being withdrawn and insecure, she is kind to everyone and supports her friends, and most importantly she wants to stand by Shu for the sort of person he is (for reasons that escape me but itslovewhatcanyoudo.jpg) and support him no matter what he does, and actively try and make him see where he is going wrong and help him to not make mistakes.

In short, the sort of person you'd relay on when you are in trouble, the sort of friend that you can trust, and the sort of girl you'd want to be around with.

I'd like to go a bit more into Arisa's character as well, but I'd rather wait till the show is over before saying my piece about her.
    Quote:
    Why Shu considered Inori to be the only one to always stand by him.
    Even after becoming Jesus, Shu remains a dick to the bitter end

Well, that was the only logical conclusion since even after his awakening as Jesus, he's still a horny teenager who had one girl till many times ''use me as you like'' and let him touch her chest, and the other one who refused to let him take advantage of her feelings (and her body) when he was being pathetic because she wanted to snap him out of his funk and actually get to be a better person ... Ah, the glory it is to be stupid 16 years old, when you judge how people stood by you according to how much favors they had given you, not if they actually stood by you or not lol
  5. Triple_R
    2012-03-18 01:34
    Triple_R
    Nice post on Guilty Crown! I like how you and I both like Hare a lot. I'd be curious to know why she's your favorite.

Also, thanks for the great insights into:

1. Arisa's character.

2. Why Shu considered Inori to be the only one to always stand by him.
  6. Triple_R
    2012-03-16 12:28
    Triple_R
    Thanks a lot for that great VM! I might reply to it more thoroughly in the future.

On the topic of the Direction... I do see where you're coming from here. But I think the reason why the fanservice in Guilty Crown usual works well for me is because the broader aesthetics makes that fanservice relatively fresh.

I mean, most sexual fanservice involves pantyshots, breast grabs (some of these totally outside the realm of how people act in normal life), or nudity (often accompanied by copious amounts of steam, lol). Guilty Crown typically avoids these more cliched (and often facepalm-y) methods by going with sleek, sexy, tight-fitting attire that shows off the curves and forms of the female characters wearing it. The freshness of the approach makes it feel oddly less pandering to me, and more creative, so I appreciate the eroticism of it more than I do more cliche fanservice.

I think it helps that it's usually quick. It doesn't linger long enough to be "in your face", imo.

But yeah, I'll leave it at that for now. I might have more to say later.
  7. Arabesque
    2012-03-16 11:40
    Arabesque
    I'm incapable of giving you a rep for your latest guilty crown post on episode 21 thread, but I'll just say that I thought you managed to hit on the head the positive aspects of the show.

This part in particular:
    Quote:
    For sheer style and pizazz alone, Guilty Crown is almost unparalleled amongst TV anime shows. And this isn't simply a function of high production values alone, although that is certainly a part of it.

Guilty Crown's overall aesthetics is also a big part of it. The character designs, the military uniforms, the plug-suits, the mecha designs, the Void designs, and now Mana's latest appearance (more on that later) are all wondrously cool, colorful, crisp. They're also often sleek and sexy without seeming obnoxiously in-your-face. There's also a vague realism to it all that just makes it come across that much better, imo.

Then there's Guilty Crown's BGM, which is often good, and was truly top-notch in this episode.
    For myself, I agree with you 100%. Out of all the major creative collaborators on this project, Supercell, Hiroyuki Sawano and Production IG animation team had without a doubt given it their all into this anime to make it look like a cutting edge show. I have no problem saying that I consider this anime to be among the most well made TV anime of the past year on the animation and design aesthetic, and certainly has a befittingly good sound track (while not necessarily my favorite out of Sawano's line up, his first foray into this genre went pretty well, and Supercell music was also fantastic imo).

Quote:
    This show has a keen sense of dramatic timing, and of the art of holding the viewer in suspense. There's a thrilling intensity to many scenes that paves the way for the picture perfect synthesis of action and drama, fitting given how voids are now being synthesized to form ever more bold and impressive-looking weapons ... It has simply superb directing, as important shots are framed excellently and typically with ideal composition. Examples of this abound in this episode, such as the well-timed close face-up shots on Inori, Ayase, Tsugumi, Daryl, Shu, and Yuu during key scenes.
    I think that Director Araki is actual one of the reasons why this show failed on reaching it's goals, but it would incredibly unfair to not agree with you on this front either. Sure, there are shots like this that still make me but there is no doubt that the man has a very distinctive style to his directing and a good understanding of how maximize not only the dramatic impact of an action scene, but also of crucial character and event revelations. Mind you, his style can go over the top very easily and makes me laugh half the time unintentionally, much like it did with Death Note and High School of the Dead, it had done so. But credit given where it's due, the man had shown his touch since episode one and that touch had given the anime it's own flavor.

Quote:
    excellent penultimate fight scene between Shu and Yuu (complete with some of the best OST music I've heard in anime).
    For the record, Ryoutarou Makihara worked as the Animation director on this episode, so I figure the larger credit goes to him for the excellent action. I felt that it was among the best fights I had watched from this show, and that's saying a lot since this show had been gorgeous to watch.

Quote:
    One such thing in this episode is Mana's character design. She's basically designed like a dark/pink magical girl, perhaps the one and only anime genre this anime had yet to borrow off from. With Mana now looking like a gorgeous dark/pink magical girl, this anime has put the finishing touches on its awesome anime aesthetics. GC is consistently a treat for the eyes.
    I especially like the pose she gives during the preview. However, I couldn't help but think ''surly, this would lead to many cosplayers to commit suicide over how unpractical that costume is going to be just to keep on, and dismay from security at cons who will have to ask more people to dress more appropriately''

I will give you a rep as soon as I can.
  8. Arabesque
    2012-02-22 06:20
    Arabesque
    Well, I'm glad about that, because the impression I had that you needed to see the original series in order to fully understand what was going on. Of course that leaves the problem about the two insane creators at the helm ...

I do agree that the mecha fights in the show are quite good, which is an improvement over the original (I think), plus with the music being as good as it is and the designs of the characters being easy on the eyes, I think I'll try and watch it again.

The love triangle aspect of the show is actually what terrifies me at the moment (since it's anything but a simple triangle from the looks of it, if you include Kagura and the other minor characters into it) but you saying that it's one of the best you've seen makes me put a bit more faith into it. Also hearing that both of the main leads are likable is a plus.

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly try and give it a try
  9. Triple_R
    2012-02-19 15:10
    Triple_R
    On Aquarion EVOL... I haven't watched the original series at all. I think the main impact of this is that the first big double-sized episode was a bit of a hurdle for me to get over due to the foreign terminology being thrown around, but I found that it didn't take me long to more or less "get" the terminology after that.

The last few episodes have all been easy enough to understand. While I'm sure certain references are lost on me, I'm still able to thoroughly enjoy the show. And the mecha fights in this show really are quite good, imo. It also has one of the best love triangles I've seen in awhile, where I like both of the girls in it. I'd encourage you to give Aquarion EVOL a try if you get a chance.
  10. Triple_R
    2012-01-08 22:40
    Triple_R
    One thing that helped me with the character nominations is that I did three Top 10 of 2011 lists over on the blog Rabbit Poets, and so I simply based my character nominations off of what I had listed there, lol.

So, for example, Fate/Zero's Rider came No. 5 on my Top 10 Male Anime Characters of 2011 list, and he was the highest ranking Male Supporting character there, so I picked him for my main choice for Male Supporting character of the year. Thankfully, I also remembered that Madhouse's X-Men had the best portrayal of Scott Summers that I've ever seen, so I also nominated him in Male Supporting character category.

Romance and Fanservice/Ecchi/Moe where my hardest categories. Romance because there weren't many shows this year, that I watched, with great romances (I love Okabe and Kurisu, and I love them together, but we didn't get to see much of them in a romance, but I will say I'll be fine if Steins;Gate wins that category), and Fanservice/Ecchi/Moe because that category still causes me problems (best moe show and best ecchi show are often not one and the same).

With both categories, I went with Mashiro-iro Symphony because it did have a very nice romance in the end, and I thought what the hell? that show could use a bit more love, so I'll give it a Ecchi/Fanservice/Moe nomination since that category has become my "consolation prize!" category, lol.

As for my take on the nominations so far, it's pretty positive. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised to see Sayaka Miki as one of the Top 3 or 4 girls in the Female Supporting character category, and I'm also glad to see Rider picking up a lot of nominations in Male Supporting character. And many of my favorite anime characters of 2011 are picking up lots of nominations in other categories too, so that's great.

I'm also impressed with how the vast majority of AS members are smartly handling the genre categories this year, imo. While Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate are pretty dominant overall, it's nice to see other good shows dominate in specific genre categories that Madoka Magica and/or Steins;Gate would not fit neatly into (like Action/Adventure, where I'm pleased to see Tiger and Bunny doing well last I checked).

There have been years where I felt one show overly dominated and genre distinctions went by the wayside as such. Thankfully, this is shaping up to be not one of those years.