AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Arabesque

Notices

Conversation Between Arabesque and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 45
  1. Last Sinner
    2012-06-04 08:01
    Last Sinner
    Apparently the end of financial year sales are coming already, which is 1 month early...Usually they're not until July since the financial revolves around a July 1 start. But with global economics striking retail down big time, seems they're already happening. So acquiring Catherine is on the verge of happening it seems.

If you're interested in Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, watch some of this first to get an idea of what it involves. Linked this guy because he gives useful advice in the description box and some very handy tips on levelling up later on.

One thing I will say is, regarding your comments on Katherine - pity I've never met anyone like that. The women I've met across my life are either really shallow + only care about looks and being the centre of attention or overly domesticated. I've never met one I could be friends with. Okay, my mother is an exception, but heck...talking about women on a non-family level. I'm really sick of being surrounded by women who wear so much perfume it makes one want to faint/vomit or give you a look of 'drop dead for looking my way' when you go past them, or those that talk one step shy of soccer mums. It's disheartening. I'd like to think someone like what you say about Katherine exists, but I've never met someone who is like that. I'm not holding my breath that I will, either.

A weird thought on drinking - I caught up with a friend for the first time in a couple of weeks. After we were done, he headed out with a 6-pack, 4 other guys and one woman. Can only wonder how that Saturday night ended up. Him pretending to be Spiderman is probably one of the least worrying results, ironically.
  2. Arabesque
    2012-05-26 21:41
    Arabesque
    That sounds like a good plan. It's certainly what I'm doing in regards to getting a 3DS (I'm still with Nintendo after all these years, at least with their handheld titles. I own a PS3, wasn't really planing on getting a Wii but I share it with some of my friends (we all put some money into it)).

It had been a while since I last played a JRPG (last one was Golden Sun Dark Dawn , which I've beaten a while ago so I can't really give much input on the title you listed other than Legend of Heroes which I played for a little bit ^^) I might pick it up if you say it's good sometime later.

But yes, C(K)atherine. Yes, I think that the strangest thing about the relationship between Katherine and Vincent is that the two are very distant from each other, despite being in a steady (and seemingly serious) relationship. It's sort of justified later on when we get to learn more about Vincent and his character. Even then, the way he behaves and as you pointed out, hanging with Orlando (who while I sympathies with his story, couldn't help but think he's a jerk and honestly very callous) made me think ''why aren't you with your Girlfriend? Why are you here?'' Bobby is sort of okay with me (he's a kid trying to pass as an adult, hard to hate him), and Erica ... well, she's pretty interesting indeed but I'll wait to get your input about her before saying anything more.

In terms of women, I prefer Katherine's look and personality a lot more than Catherine (Glasses FTW ). In addition to what you said, I feel that Katherine does what a partner and a friend should do with their significant other, and that is push them to better themselves and think about what is best for them. She is far too good for someone like Vincent, especially since he was fooling around with his friends instead of paying her much attention.

Shame that you got spoiled on Catherine's true nature, but even then that doesn't really matter much since it's the interactions and how it plays out that matters the most. And Vincent's reactions Man, his face just makes me laugh every time ...

It sounds that you'll be playing the same way some of people did when they got the game, and that is try and react to how the events play out (a majority sort of played it with the ''aim for a girl'' mentality) myself, I did the same. I wanted to be truthful and thought that I'd I answer it if I was in Vincent's position (which, in retrospect, might not have been the ''right way'' to play it, but I still got a good ending, so I'm fine with it) It'll be interesting to see what you get.

Katherine's bombshell on the 3rd day ... Oh the face he had ... I agree that it is very low to dump her after what she revealed (I certainly wouldn't never do something like that, but like I said, this is Vincent and his mind works in a very different way) but of course, there is more to the game and a lot more to be revealed about everything and how will it play out ...

As for picking sides, will, the game works like this:
    Spoiler for Number of Endings, covering just in case:

To trigger an ending with one of the girls, there are two factors that play into near the end, and that is 1) which direction your meter tilting towards near the end and 2) the answers to the final questions. Depending on how you answer it, it will set the ending you get.

I got the Katherine Good ending on my first play through, which looking back I think is sort of amazing going by how I played it I don't think you have much to worry about regarding getting a Bad ending, since that requires you to intentionally screwing up with your choices or tilting throughout the majority of the game for one girl before changing your mind and picking the other (which would lead to the girl dumping Vincent, as any women would do for being played with )

For some reason, I never did take you as the drinking type yeah, I haven't been in any bars much except for few times in my entire lifetime, and that was due to hanging or meeting friends, never to drink (even if I don't have any problems about alcohol, I prefer not to drink it given the choice) and certainly not everyday, not if I had a girl like Katherine waiting for me
  3. Last Sinner
    2012-05-25 23:42
    Last Sinner
    One thing I should point out quickly - I haven't bought it yet. To make sure I would want it for the long run, I watched footage of Days 1 & 2 and Katherine's 'important discussion' in Day 3 on Youtube. I don't have a console yet. End of financial year usually has sales that go with it, so I'm waiting a bit to see if PS3s go down a bit more. As for why I'm picking PS3 over XBox - games on offer and the branding. I was once with Nintendo years ago but that ended a decade ago. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is also enticing me a lot, particularly because of Estelle Bright and the scenario/graphics which remind me of Golden Sun, but in a nicer way. I liked that JRPG style that didnt require stupid gimmicks/costumes and just went for a decent story and the usual offerings of gameplay. Although Seinarukana: The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2 is still my fave in that genre. Hopefully I can acquire that later this year when the English release comes out on PC, since a good gameplay and good 18+ content is a very rare mix.

But I digress. What seems so weird to me about Vincent is he has a long-time girlfriend and are clearly sexually active, yet there's a distance to them. If they've been together that long, they're not living together yet? Seems rather odd, but that doesn't allow Catherine to get into the mix if that was the case, so from a logistics point, I understand why that isn't the case. From an emotional point, I can see some of why the two are together. Vincent helping out Katherine when she was dumped and needed dating advice, then falling for her - I can buy that and it's a plus in Vincent's favour for sure. What's acting as a major negative for me is how much time he spends at Stray Sheep...okay, I get he needs some 'him' time, but for the love of...why would he rather hang out with guys like Orlando when he could be getting intimate or chilling with Katherine...it's just so weird...broski time has its perks but it's also kind of redundant. Bobby seems okay as does the young kid, but Orlando...man, I thought I was jaded...Orlando is just cold. I guess he has his reasons, but man, he goes too far. Particularly towards Erica...she's probably the one character I want to hear more from thus far but can't because Orlando gets all snarky.

From the point of the women, I do find Katherine likeable. She sounds like she has a decent career going but values a relationship and being a mother when the time comes. And form her general comments and text messages, she seems to be somewhat compromising and forgiving - maybe more than Vincent deserves. And I love the fact they gave her glasses. Nothing wrong with a woman having glasses. What I do want to see about her soon is what made her like Vincent, what she wants from the relationship and how she will react to the inevitable showdown with Catherine. As for Catherine, I don't think badly of her....yet. She is none the wiser that Vincent was with Katherine, so can't hold that against her. She isn't cheap or sleeping around, so have to give her credit for that too. Catherine definitely has that air of a young 20s woman who wants to have some fun and be uninhibited. There's a very fun aspect to her but also a very dangerous one. Katherine may not offer the excitement and thrills Catherine does, but she does offer loyalty, compassion and someone you can rely on for the long run. They are polar opposites. What I want to see more about Catherine is what her role actually is. My uncle, who got me onto looking for the game, spoiled to me what Catherine actually is, so I'm aware of the supernatural element, but not the context. I also want to know just how far Catherine will go in an inevitable showdown with Katherine. Thus far, I get the feeling Katherine will be mad with Vincent but that Catherine will be angry with Katherine and just might be crazy enough to get violent.

As for how I'll play it...I'm not going to pick a side yet. As I see the facts, I will react. From what I've seen (Days 1-early 3rd), I am slightly in Katherine's favour. After the bombshell she drops on Day 3, it's hard to go against her. To suddenly drop Katherine after she reveals that would be rather low. Although I'm sure Catherine will have a bombshell of her own that will tip the scales in her favour at some point. And I'm not picking a side yet because it seems like the story needs you to not be so one-sided to reveal some of the content. But it is required to max the meter out in one direction to get the ending for that character? I know that Catherine is red and Katherine is blue, but I was wondering what degree the meter required to trigger their ending, because I figure dead even leads to the Freedom end.

One thing I will say is that if I was in Vincent's shoes, I wouldn't be in a bar. ^^; Haven't been in one for around 10 years.
  4. Arabesque
    2012-05-25 22:29
    Arabesque
    Yeah, that had always bothered me when I played (and re-played) the game. Vincent and Katherine's relationship is presented as being very ... distant. A lot of the time, from the way it was presented in the game, I ended up wondering ''Why are these two together in the first place?'' or ''Wow, how could you even forget that??''. They do get add bits that give an impression that the two do care for each other later on, but in the first days of the game ...

Glad to know that you jumped on board to play the game And yeah, the dub is pretty great, which is actually sort of expected since Atlus pride themselves on having natural sounding, good translations. I ended up liking it a lot more than the original ^^;

The game is pretty fun, and I can assure you you are in for a treat.

I want to ask, since I assume your still on your first play through: How exactly are you playing the game? Are you aiming for a set ending/ or one of the two girls? or are you playing it according to what you might do in Vincent's situation?
  5. Last Sinner
    2012-05-25 11:15
    Last Sinner
    Okay, seriously...how on earth would Vincent forget how long he's been with Katherine on Day 1...that's just...wow...man, Katherine is pretty kind to forgive something like that.
  6. Last Sinner
    2012-05-23 08:07
    Last Sinner
    Yeah, I'm a bit late to the party but Catherine is pretty win. ^^ Amazed the dub for it is actually quite good, such a rarity.

Um, reason - I saw a Catherine image and was intrigued. I then went to Youtube and listened to 'It's A Golden Show' and downloaded it. The next night I got hold of 3 Catherine doujinshis and a fair slab of both soundtracks. When I'm got some time and more of a money cushion, getting a PS3 to play Catherine and a few other games. Normally a PC person but Catherine...darn it looks so fun and different.

This season, MGX, Lupin, Space Bros, Boys on the Slope but haven't watched anime in a month except for a few Kaiji S2 eps. I think I need to play League of Legends less and get back to anime. But anime panel and quiz night and convention in July, a bit of LoL and other stuff have chewed up my time. Working has left me drained and with little time at night - not good qualities for watching anime properly for me.
  7. Arabesque
    2012-05-22 16:52
    Arabesque
    (Pretty nice avatar It's been a while since I played C(K)atherine, but I still remember it as being a pretty cool game. Any reason for the switch?)

Doing pretty well, I think. Been more busy than usual this week, but I found myself more in control than usual and I think I was juggling everything more gracefully than usual, at least for myself Overall, I'm taking a more positive attitude about my life and where I'm going, and trying to be a step ahead of any problem I might have.

In terms of how this relates to anime, well ... for one, I find myself having a bit more money to spend on my hobby than usual. I'm thinking that maybe I might go back to importing another show, but I hadn't made up my mind yet as to which one or if I should just save it.

For what I watch, I find myself pretty much up to date with the shows I want to follow, and not that far behind the rest. Watching long runners like Sket Dance, Hunter X Hunter and Gundam AGE is sort of second nature for me right now (I guess spending a year with a show does that eventually ). The only anime from the past season that I'm still following is Aquarion EVOL (I more or less dropped Knight in the Arena ... I could only take so much violation of medical ethics in a show before I give up) and from this season, I'm up to date with Hyouka (really excellent visual, incredibly imaginative and well thought out. The mysteries need to be a bit more engaging but I thought that the first 3 episodes were pretty good and the following two sealed the deal) Fate/Zero , Eureka Seven AO, Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko, Mysterious Girlfriend X (have been really loving this one, sort of the dark horse of the season with me), Saint Seiya Omega (I wasn't really all that happy about Crunchyroll not having this as being an actual simulcast, but I'm sort of used to it by now. Works better with my schedule anyways) Tsuritama (the show I have my on to import atm) SpaceBro's, Boys on the Slope and, surprisingly enough, AKB0048 (I have no idea how, but I'm pretty much following this show now ).

So yeah, pretty much having a full plate with all of these fantastic shows to watch. I ended up falling behind Shirokuma Cafe (amusing, but I don't think I can watch it week to week) Sankarea (it's a pretty okay show, but I'm not into necrophilia) Natsuiro Kiseki (I love Mizushima Seiji's work, and I watched everything he worked on before, and I'm okay with Sphere as a band but ... this show is just not working with me) and Accel World (wanted to like it, but finding it pretty meh so far. Hopefully next season's SAO will be better)

For my backlog, I have Shining Hearts (interested due to Tony Taka's designs and the promise of a follow up to the anime) Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Ginga e Kickoff and Is this a Zombie? (saving them for a rainy day).

How about yourself?
  8. Last Sinner
    2012-05-22 07:52
    Last Sinner
    So...how are you lately?
  9. Arabesque
    2012-04-20 07:51
    Arabesque
    I think that the first episode worked rather well in introducing the cast and how they all managed to get together and connect via Jazz, while episode 2 built more on giving the relationship some additional substance.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san should do well, I suppose, since it has a sizable fanbase from the flash days (though I never imagined it would do this well) and Fate/Zero is a given, but AKB0048 and Hyou-Ka are more of wild cards. With the former, it depends on how well received the anime will be among the AKB crowd, and how willing are they to buy it (I mean, there is no denying that AKB is HUGE, but is there really that much of a cross between the two demographics to make it enough of a big seller?) and even then, it might draw in AKB fans more than the typical otaku crowd, so maybe it wont cause that much of a dent.

With the latter, well, I have to admit that I'm not so sure if KyoAni's supposed ''golden touch'' is really going to work, if it had worked at all. So far, they had been adapting relatively popular works from Key and FMP, and sure K-On! had been a smash hit, but when you think about it, does KyoAni really have that much of an effect on the Japanese purchaser mind?I don't think it'll fail completely, but I do think we are about to see the limits of KyoAni's influence.

Even if I share some of your concerns, I think you are being a bit too pessimistic I honestly think that noitaminA will be airing more shows like Apollon again in the future, provided they remain till then. I doubt that A-1 will be worried about taking risks when they have been among the most financially successful studios in recent times (and also being Sony's anime making machine helps a lot) so I doubt they will be reverting to a single genre any time, even if Space Bros fails to take off.

I do worry more about the older type shows like Lupin and MGX, since they are quite old fashioned and I hope to see more of them, even though it's unlikely it's going to do that well.

I do agree about this season being a litmus test to see where the current trends are for the Japanese market. I can only hope that it comes out being a better result than usual.
  10. Last Sinner
    2012-04-20 07:15
    Last Sinner
    I'm more sold on Boys on the Slope after Episode 2. It did a lot of the things ep1 should have, but it's in a good place now.

Well, hold your horses for now. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, AKB0048 and Hyou-Ka were indicated as being the ones to get the sales along with Fate/Zero this season. If out likes don't sell, noitaminA will not do something like Apollon again for quite some time, A-1 will stop being risky and go back to their 2011 moneymaking style if Space Bros doesn't fire, while style won't re-explore older art or the like (Fujiko Mine and Girlfriend X). I think this season will be a major litmus test. If the Japanese buying fans only go for the same old, we will be stuck in the moe glut for a long while yet and experimental/risky/solid anime will be lost in the wilderness yet again.