AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Pocari_Sweat

Conversation Between Pocari_Sweat and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 61 to 70 of 570
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-02-14 01:39
    I have to be up for Valentine's day trip tomorrow at 5AM, neither do I.

Actually, next week in general might be a bit tough - technically I'm on break but there's a paper due shortly after I get back.
  2. Pocari_Sweat
    2015-02-13 13:11
    Well I've been home for a while, but I don't have the energy to argue
  3. Pocari_Sweat
    2015-02-13 05:01
    You and I have some discussing to do when I get home!
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-02-12 16:03
    Bit of preliminary data:

Spoiler for Simplified list - total shows and classics:

"Classic" just means I consider it a standout among the entire period considered, which is a bit arbitrary.
    The notable observations here are how the variation in how many shows I like year to year is pretty small and how bad 2009 was save for a few standouts.

And here's a slightly more detailed set:
    Spoiler for Less simplified numbers:

2014 doesn't look quite as strong here, does it? Note the classics category includes Classic+ (basically the "shortlist") and tier 1 includes both, I just bother marking classic/classic+ because such shows can skew my overall impressions a bit.

Will send the detailed data later.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-02-12 05:16
    I'll probably format the data and send it to your and Triple_R at somepoint soon.

I'm actually liking this second half of Shirobako a lot. First was a more hit and miss.
  6. Pocari_Sweat
    2015-02-12 05:00
    Really though I'm not going yell at you for having bad taste... much . You obviously always had a better affinity for moe for various types while I'm mega picky when it comes to moe shows. I just grew old and cynical as time passes.

The only real disappointment is how you can't share the enthusiasm for shirobako like most of the hipster tm gang. I think you don't know how much I love it though I admit it's partly compounded by that the fact it's the first good paw show for me since uchouten kazoku which was more than a year ago. But hey that's just me with fanboyism talking.
  7. Pocari_Sweat
    2015-02-12 04:55
    PM me! I wanna laugh at you!

Or maybe I'll end up raging instead.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-02-12 04:46
    So I decided to rank all the TV series (not including specials, movies or OVAs) I watched and liked a lot in 2008 to 2014 from tier 1 (highest) to tier 3 and then broke that down further (ie. 1+, 1, 1-). Then I produced a "classics" list, again split into three tiers.

Then I determined my feelings on the years in question:
    Tier 1: 2011, 2012
    Tier 2: 2008, 2013
    Tier 3: 2010
    Tier 4: 2009, 2014

Further notes:
    2011/2012 were very high on quality and quantity of shows, with 2013 also being fairly high on both measures.
    2008 was high on quality but didn't do quite as well quantity wise.
    2010 was mid tier on both.
    2009 has a few really good shows but didn't rank many shows overall.
    2014 ranked quite a lot of shows but very few ranked highly.

Also, man I'm much pickier about action and "artsy" stuff than stuff I like for characters or cuteness.

I'm still debating whether I'm willing to PM you the data. The guilty pleasure to actually good stuff ratio is a bit embarassing at points.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-02-03 18:00
    I really like Ishizuki Atsuko's use of colour, which is where I see the parallel's with Yuuki Yuuna's magical girl scenes.

I don't remember YY having a particularly high amount of sparkling - at least by magical girl standards - and the characters are generally a little more subtle than Hanayamata IIRC. Even if Fuu has her"hamming it up" moments.

I like Hanayamata, No Game No Life is one of those "why did I finish this" shows. Sakurasou I actually think it pretty great despite its flaws.

(One weird thing: No Game No Life's lead pair is Sora and Shiro. Sakurasou's is Sorata and Mashiro. In addition to both shows having the same director, they're played by the same seiyuu. I can't decide if how much of that is coincidence versus intentional, neither explanation seems very convincing.)
  10. Pocari_Sweat
    2015-02-03 05:53
    Well I didn't like Sakurasou much and I despised No Game No life. In fact I don't like that director who also did Hanayamata. Exaggerated moe + more sparkles than PA Works couldn't even match =/= my eyes hurt.

Man, I am really hard to please these days...