AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Game of Thrones (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=92205)

TooPurePureBoy 2010-03-17 14:10

Game of Thrones

It's officially been announced that novels written by George R.R. Martin that make up the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, including the first novel "A Game of Thrones for which it is named, will be getting a series on HBO. Filming begins in June and I can not wait.

My favorite comment from people on the staff is that it will be like Sopranos with swords. :cool:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-g...-thrones-.html

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...me-of-thrones/

http://tv.ign.com/articles/107/1073428p1.html

http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/hbo-say...-game-of-t.php

Those links were provided by george himself on his blog. :)

Anyone else as excited as I am or even fans of this great sci-fi fantasy series?

George is one of the finest writers I've ever read, in any genre. I hope they do the series well.

Xion Valkyrie 2010-03-17 14:36

This sounds pretty cool. So it'll be a serious fantasy adaptation as opposed the far cheesier adaptation of the Legend of of the Seeker?

Irkalla 2010-03-17 14:58

Wow, that is like fresh water on my fantasy mill, according to the description at least. Will be looking out for this.

Sackett 2010-03-17 15:21

Be ready for some dark deconstruction of some classic fantasy tropes.

A Song of Ice and Fire is one of my favorite series, but boy is it ever dark.

Without spoiling anything plot specific the following types of things go on:

Spoiler for Spoiler for those who don't want any idea at all of what happens:

Irkalla 2010-03-17 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sackett (Post 2961394)
Be ready for some dark deconstruction of some classic fantasy tropes.

A Song of Ice and Fire is one of my favorite series, but boy is it ever dark.

Without spoiling anything plot specific the following types of things go on:

Spoiler for Spoiler for those who don't want any idea at all of what happens:

That sounds rather awesome! Makes me wanna pick up the books.

Haak 2010-03-17 15:36

I'm a big fan of the series. In fact it's perhaps my favourite fantasy series of all time.

But I don't know if I really want to watch the TV Show. I mean, I watched an episode of Legend of the Seeker once, and thought it sucked. I'll watch the first episode and see how it is. Even if it's crap I''d love to see the best character in the series give his classic lines. I am ofcourse talking about the brilliant Dolorous Edd. :D

Spoiler for the brilliance of Dolorous Edd (not really a spoiler):

It'll be a good way to pass the time whilst we wait for the next book to come out (which I think i've been doing for about several lifetimes, now). Is there a trailer out?

Zu Ra 2010-03-17 19:02

I have heard of this novels a lot and by that I mean a lot but never had a chance to follow the novels . But there was this movie which was loosely inspired by this series came out in 2008 . I have seen that and I liked what I saw . The movie was awesome for a B Grade flick . Though the movie has nothing much to do with the series . The world it presented was indeed fascinating and interesting .

There are two TV shows I am so looking forward to one of them is Fire & Ice and the other based on Borgia Family . This show is from the writer and team of The Tudors

james0246 2010-03-17 23:19

Of course, Peter Dinklage was hired to play Tyrion Lannister, what a stretch...:p (sorry, bad joke). Seriously, though, good casting choices all around, and I am happy that child actors are actually playing the parts of the Stark children:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5...069e20120a.jpg

FateAnomaly 2010-03-17 23:29

Great news but i just wish the fifth book will just come out already.

Zu Ra 2010-03-18 15:48

Its good to see Sean Bean in such fantasy adventure movies so loved him in LOR 1 . And Harry Loyd seriously reminds of Harry Potter . Hope he has nothing to do with horses in this series .

Zu Ra 2010-06-16 07:08

Trailer is Out :

Kafriel 2010-06-16 15:26

Aaaand from that trailer, I could tell....nothing, it's too short xD

cheyannew 2010-06-16 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 3094455)
Aaaand from that trailer, I could tell....nothing, it's too short xD

You could tell winter is coming!

snicker

Haak 2010-06-17 05:48

In the middle of Spring, no less. :rolleyes:

mellomarie 2010-06-26 18:33

SO EXCITED!

but that trailer was nothing.

Sabaku Kyu 2010-06-26 18:47

I wonder who will play Gregor Clegane?

MrTerrorist 2011-01-08 04:41

Latest trailer

Inside Game Of Thrones

Hope to see this after i watch Boardwalk Empire.

Demongod86 2011-01-08 10:43

Threw the first book against the wall on page 269 because nobody would throw a damn fireball and they all sat around talking too much.

Suomi 2011-01-08 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2961971)
Of course, Peter Dinklage was hired to play Tyrion Lannister, what a stretch...:p (sorry, bad joke). Seriously, though, good casting choices all around, and I am happy that child actors are actually playing the parts of the Stark children:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5...069e20120a.jpg

niiice looks like a near-perfect cast to me.

I've read the first book, though I put down the second book partway through and haven't picked it back up (yet?), but the TV show promises to be interesting, I think...

to be honest, I think Martin's just taking his sweet time with the fifth book...

Kirarakim 2011-01-08 15:26

I am looking forward to the series because I do love the books, well the first 3 that is. Looking back The 4th book was a major disappointment (and if you look at reviews on Amazon you will see most people agree).

GRRM is also not the quickest writer. I am hoping this new series will put some pressure on him to actually finish writing the series.

The preview does look really good and I am excited about seeing Sean Bean as Ned Stark (despite the fact that he is somewhat being typecast).

Magin 2011-01-09 03:09

Why am I somehow not surprised this is getting an adaptation? Seriously, I can't understand why this series is so popular. Is it because it takes a classic fantasy setting, and completely turns every fantasy element on its head, therefore making the series "refreshing"?

Maybe its just me but... this is seriously the darkest, cruelest fantasy series I've ever read. I had a very hard time getting through the first two books, and haven't even touched the third yet. I like to actually get attached to one set of main characters and not have to have a completely new set take their place...

MrTerrorist 2011-04-05 08:25

I saw a 14 minute preview of the show.
Spoiler for review:

Here's the preview on the official Game of Thrones Youtube channel. Warning: May contain Violence and Gore.

james0246 2011-04-05 12:48

^There is no "May contain Violence" about it, the preview (which is the first 14 minutes of the first episode) is massively violent and gory...and great :). Can't wait to see the wolves...

germanturkey 2011-04-05 15:56

i have no idea what this is about. but if its anything in the vein of Spartacus or Camelot (both done by Starz and not HBO) it'll definitely consider watching.

Mystique 2011-04-05 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanturkey (Post 3559313)
i have no idea what this is about. but if its anything in the vein of Spartacus or Camelot (both done by Starz and not HBO) it'll definitely consider watching.

Neither do I, but this 'the making of' video posted earlier in this thread is definitely worth the 11 mins to figure out who's who and what the general plot is :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 3427978)
Inside Game Of Thrones

delirium 2011-04-06 08:46

Righto, I watched the 14 minute preview and I was amazed at the quality of it all. I'm definitely going to be watching this until the series is completed.

MrTerrorist 2011-04-17 05:44

Just a reminder but Game of Thrones will be airing tonight! Hope the 1st episode is great.

Irkalla 2011-04-17 08:37

I have somehow willed myself not to watch the 14min preview so I will be able to savour the episode in it's whole splendour.. Come tomorrow, come.

delirium 2011-04-17 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irkalla (Post 3574633)
I have somehow willed myself not to watch the 14min preview so I will be able to savour the episode in it's whole splendour.. Come tomorrow, come.

It probably wouldn't have affected you that much. I've watched the preview about six times. I'll be watching the episode several times too, it is awesome?

james0246 2011-04-17 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irkalla (Post 3574633)

It's just the first 14 minutes of the first episode, so at worst you would be slightly less enthused (but still excited) about the first 14 minutes of the hour long episode :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by delirium (Post 3574767)
It probably wouldn't have affected you that much. I've watched the preview about six times. I'll be watching the episode several times too, it is awesome?

I think the real question is, is it too awesome? And the answer is a resounding no. :).

delirium 2011-04-17 21:58

Alright, the first episode was fucking amazing. :> yeyyyyyyyy

james0246 2011-04-17 22:42

Great first episode (I especially loved the OP, not necessarily the music (the overall score was okay, but a little too...enthusiastic at times), but the design and layout of the entire world map and the "construction" of the major cities; quite interesting and very symbolic of the story being told). I haven't been this impressed by a new show since Dexter first aired.

Spoiler for slight spoiler for the books:

Whatever the case, this was a strong first episode that covered quite a bit of ground. Can't wait to see more. 85/100.

delirium 2011-04-17 23:05

Spoiler for slight spoiler for the books:

james0246 2011-04-18 00:52

^I guess it is a semi-major spoiler, so I'll amend my post to reflect that.

germanturkey 2011-04-18 01:07

holy crap, that was a great show. and the ending!!!! WOW.

delirium 2011-04-18 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3575604)
^I guess it is a semi-major spoiler, so I'll amend my post to reflect that.

I posted a spoiler for the series without ever having read the book or reference material to it in any capacity. I feel awesome.

MrTerrorist 2011-04-18 10:20

The 1st episode was.......
Spoiler for Ep01 Winter Is Coming:

Pocari_Sweat 2011-04-19 02:49

Looks promising. It's been a while since I watched an epic (in the literal sense) fantasy TV serial series, and this might be it. Will keep a lookout on this.

EDIT: I also did like HBO's Rome series as well, though that was a bit too sexually explicit :heh:

Irkalla 2011-04-19 04:25

The pilot was all kinds of awesome. I can only wonder how much money had been used for the pilot alone, it was pretty much movie like in all aspects. And I'm insanely happy that hbo picked this up, I mean seriously, with the exception of starz, it's pretty much the only network that will show the really gory and sexy parts. I approve.

Things that most impressed me:

-Costumes, loved the cultural shift from the European medieval clothes to the lighter, more Roman (for the girls) and Middle eastern (for the boys)
-Scenery, sets and props! Have you seen DAT Ned helmet, awesome sauce.
-Make-up and co! I loved the Dothraki paint and how they made Dany look absolutely ethereal.
-Casting for Ned, Tyrion, Dany and Viserys. (I think the actor absolutely nailed the character!)
-Dance at Dany's wedding..WOW!
-Brothel scene, fufufu, hilarious.
-Ned's badassness.

Things that could have been better:

-Portrayal of the little dire wolves, with the exception of Bran's, they hardly got and screen-time.
-Soundtrack was so dull.
-They had squeezed too much material in one episode, it was all kinda rushed. I suppose it was to actually have some sorta cliffhanger.

Thing that I hated:

-The change in Dany's and Dogo's first night...seriously, it wasn't supposed to look like rape... the bells! :heh:

Guardian Enzo 2011-04-19 11:53

I actually decided to blog this, despite it not being anime. It's rare than anything epic fantasy related gets this much mainstream public attention, especially on TV. HBO has already renewed it for a 2nd season.