AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Haruhi Suzumiya (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   The Translation of Haruhi Suzumiya (Novel Translation Thread) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31120)

Kinny Riddle 2006-04-15 12:14

The Translation of Haruhi Suzumiya (Novel Translation Thread)

Novel Translation By Baka-Tsuki here

The day I met Suzumiya Haruhi, my life changed...:heh: (Cheesy, I know)

I shall now attempt to translate all the Suzumiya Haruhi novels into English.
Seeing as to how extraordinarily popular this series has become, I went to a local manga store and bought the first 5 novels.

But wait, you say? Yes, some of you may have noticed, the versions I hold are the Official Kadokawa Licensed Taiwanese Chinese version.

Let me make one thing clear: I am a non-native Japanese speaker, my fluency in the language is only 20% at most, though kanji doesn't daunt me too much, the grammar does. That is why I have bought the Taiwanese Chinese version.

There are three types of novel owners:

1. Native Japanese speakers who aren't fluent in English, so they don't frequent English forums like asuki (kj1980 is the exception) - they own the original Japanese version.

2. Chinese speakers who aren't too fluent in English, they rarely go to English forums - they own the Taiwanese version.

3. Overseas SOS devotees who aren't too fluent in Japanese, the kanji scares them (and me as well :heh: ), they frequent English anime sites, like asuki, this is the target audience for this translation project - they too own the original Japanese version for collection's sake.

Seeing as there isn't anyone in categories 1-3 able or willing to do the translation. So while someone who is fluent in both Japanese and English would do a better job than I do, as there is none who has done so, I might as well make full advantage of my fluency in Chinese and English to take on this task, for now.

Of course, things ARE going to be lost in the translation from Japanese to Chinese to English.

So this is where you guys in category 1-3 can help out. To reduce the inconsistencies to as little as possible.

I'm crap in HTML, so I'd appreciate if someone can give me some website logistical advice. I don't mind attaching myself with some other English SOS fansite, as long as they give credit where credit is due. (e.g. translation, editing, original authors, etc. )

My plan is to try and translate a few paragraphs at a time for serialization. (Unfortunately, I do have a life outside regular SOS activities. :heh: )

Once I've posted that, it will be open for discussion and input in this thread by everyone so that it can be eventually edited to perfection. Maybe I'll need an editor to do that for me.

That's the plan for now. Any inputs are most welcome. Now there is meaning in my free time. :D

xris 2006-04-15 18:14

Please note the object of the thread is to discuss the novel translations (along with the problems involving the project, any issues, translation difficulties, interpretation, finding suitable sites to host the translations, etc.) but what won't be allowed is for the thread to contain the translation itself.

Edit:
Just to add to the comment made by Vexx below, small sections of translations may be posted here (a sentence or maybe a paragraph), as that would fall under "fair use" but more than that wouldn't be allowed.

Vexx 2006-04-15 18:39

aye.. other than "fair use" type snippets... any serious comparative discussion would have to be offline or alternate channels.

Sushi-Y 2006-04-15 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
while someone who is fluent in both Japanese and English would do a better job than I do (...) none has done so

There's a reason for that. ^^; It may seem fun in the beginning, but unless you're incredibly devoted, the steam runs out fast. I'm part of the group of people who are good with both Japanese and English, and I'm also a translator myself. Mangas or animes have proven themselves to be an easy job for me to translate, but novels are a whole different story. Unless you're an expert in the usage of artistic descriptive languages in English to deliver the same kind of mood and atmosphere portrayed in the original text, as well as maintaining the original text's structure + meaning, the translation will come out all wrong (inaccurate). This is different from, say, translating manga text, where all there is to translate are character dialogues (which are usually quite literal in their meanings). For someone like me, who likes to maintain as close to the original text as possible when translating (I don't like "interpreting" meanings), novels are quite a challenge (I'm currently translating Shakugan no Shana's short novel, "Reshuffle" myself).

Still, it's always a good thing to see someone with enough motivation to take on the task. I probably can't be of any help, but good luck and keep us updated.

Riker 2006-04-15 18:58

Quote:

I shall now attempt to translate all the Suzumiya Haruhi novels into English.
Seeing as to how extraordinarily popular this series has become, I went to a local manga store and bought the first 5 novels.

But wait, you say? Yes, some of you may have noticed, the versions I hold are the Official Kadokawa Licensed Taiwanese Chinese version.

There're Chinese translated versions? Excellent.
I'm gonna go search for them later.

I'm somewhat No.2
Whatever chinese reading I've done so far are limited to mangas (didn't read the newspapers cos I'm lazy :(), so I should do more intense stuffs like reading the novels.

Once you're done with a part of the translation I can help you proof read, I guess.
That is, provided I can find and purchase the said novels :x

KBTKaiser 2006-04-15 19:09

I'm a mix of 2 and 3, being a Chinese American with enough knowledge to watch anime raws to grab the general idea. >>;

Pakxenon 2006-04-15 20:45

You guys have a headstart: http://baka-tsuki.net/project/sh/sh.htm

Start after that. Credits to "thelastguardian"

Edit: lol the page got changed. >___________________>

Kinny Riddle 2006-04-16 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pakxenon

What the? Someone started before me already. o_o

Ah well, saves me having to find a host. I shall begin on chapter 2 right away...

DannoHung 2006-04-16 00:16

I can't read Japanese (or Chinese), but I think I've got a decent handle on composition and would like to help with editing. Does anyone have any hints on the tone of the books? Is it generally as sardonic as Kyon is in the anime? Is there a lot of slang, colloquialisms, etc, etc?

Kinny Riddle 2006-04-16 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoHung
I can't read Japanese (or Chinese), but I think I've got a decent handle on composition and would like to help with editing. Does anyone have any hints on the tone of the books? Is it generally as sardonic as Kyon is in the anime? Is there a lot of slang, colloquialisms, etc, etc?

I'm reading as I go along, so far the tone of the book is set mostly by Kyon's sarcastic comments. You're welcome to edit any grammatical mistakes from the fresh translations.

saladrax350 2006-04-16 01:47

hmm, those novels should be in traditional chinese font right?

if so, i think i can help ^^, i'm quite good at reading chinese

i just wish i could say the same for japanese

Kinny Riddle 2006-04-16 02:22

Me and lastguardian seems to be doing the same thing at the same time, so I've suggested that we take turns translating each chapter alternatively. I'll try my best to translate as quickly as possible from what little free time I may be able to gather, but as with fansubbers, it will be avaialble when it is available.

DannoHung 2006-04-16 02:28

I've got another question: Is Kyon writing in the past tense or is this more like a journal? There are some points where it seems like it might be appropriate to switch the tenses, but I don't know if that has any bearing for later on.

Thelastguardian 2006-04-16 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoHung
I've got another question: Is Kyon writing in the past tense or is this more like a journal? There are some points where it seems like it might be appropriate to switch the tenses, but I don't know if that has any bearing for later on.

I can't decide. As you are probably aware, there are some parts that are more suitable with passive voice, while others are plainly narrarated in past tense. I am going to leave this up to the English majors XD

(As I said in the wiki, I am doing this to train my English writing skills. Therefore if you have any ideas, you can go ahead and change the script. And I (hopefully) will learn from your corrections ^_^ )

For now, just consider it past tense with flashbacks by Kyon.

Onizuka-GTO 2006-04-16 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pakxenon

Dammn, I did the wiki, after I read that translation, before that i didn't really care about Wiki-editing thing.

How things change so quick, Haruhiuism really inspired people you know, once haruhi kicks ineverything moves at the speed of light! :D

ragnarokr 2006-04-16 07:37

Kinny Riddle and thelasguardian, thanx for the effort.
I'm sure that all the community appreciates the it.

Yashiro 2006-04-16 08:12

I'd just like to say that I'm glad that the novels are being translated, and I really, really appreciate the efforts. Its so hard being a Haruhi fan only speaking in English :(. I wish I could do something to help, but knowing no other foreign language (French doesn't really help here :p), there's not much I can do. Seriously though, I'm very grateful that there are people translating the novels - I'm addicted to Haruhi now, I always want more.

Kinny Riddle 2006-04-16 12:06

Me and lastguardian have agreed that I will do the first two volumes while he works on 3 and 4.

That said, I have a question for the original novel readers:

Spoiler for volume 1 chapter 3:

Doraneko 2006-04-16 12:16

Quote:

Me and lastguardian have agreed that I will do the first two volumes while he works on 3 and 4.

That said, I have a question for the original novel readers:

Spoiler for volume 1 chapter 3:

Spoiler:

melange 2006-04-16 12:18

The term itself was in kanji, but there are numerous possible ways to translate it. In the main Suzumiya Haruhi thread you can find a couple of attempts to make sense of the term (one by me and another by Doraneko).