AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Favorite Mecha Designs in Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=76061)

4Tran 2008-12-30 14:09

Favorite Mecha Designs in Gundam

Welcome to the Gundam Favourite Mecha Thread! This thread is going to work a bit differently than most other "Favorites" threads because there are a bajillion different choices out there, so a poll doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Instead of restricting choices feel free to list and talk about any of the mecha, whether it's mobile suits or mobile armors, or what have you in the franchise. Please try to keep your list to 10 units or so. Fewer is fine, but more is probably not a great idea since it'd probably end up falling into the list/clutter problem. On the other hand, if you want to put the effort into writing up about more, then feel free to do so.

To keep this thread from just being a bunch of lists, please also provide us with a short (or long) explanation of why these are your favorites and/or why you think they are unique/interesting/fun.

*Suggestion: you may want to hold off discussing the current mobile suits in Gundam 00 since there's probably a fair bit that hasn't been revealed about them.*

Thread Rules
  • Do not insult or harass other members for their choices.
    Please remember: this is for fun. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character/mecha you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It’s great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

4Tran 2008-12-30 14:10

To start things off, here's my list:

1. Zanneck
The Zanneck is easily my favorite mobile suit in the Gundam shows. While its technical details aren't all that special, it's the way the Zanneck is presented that's especially flavorful. Perhaps unique to all of the Gundam mecha, in the episode where we first see the Zanneck, we don't get to see the pilot - instead, all that's depicted is the sound of a bell. Combine that with the way it manhandled all the enemies arrayed against it, and the entire sequence provokes a sense of menace that I have yet to see recaptured in a Gundam show.

To top it off, the Zanneck itself is a very flawed mobile suit: it has a huge gun, but it can barely move on its own, and has to rely on its platform for propulsion. It's only thanks to (probably) the skill of its pilot that it can hold its own against supposedly far superior, and vastly more maneuverable V2s and Gunblastors, especially when the fight gets to melee range. All told, while the Zanneck doesn't show up all that often, the strength of its initial appearance is a big contributing factor as to why Victory Gundam is my favorite Gundam TV show.

2. V2 Gundam
This is plain jane V2 without any of its add-on equipment is my favorite Gundam. I like the clean lines and color scheme of this mobile suit, but again, it's the presentation that shines. Normally, I don't like the idea of gattai units, but V2 at least employs this feature in a way that (sort of) makes sense. Instead of just combining to beat the enemy, it also uncombines all the time to provide all manner of tactical advantages, from escaping from enemies to using body parts as makeshift bombs (who the heck needs munitions :)).

A lot of these features are shared with regular Victory Gundams, but the V2 also has the original Wings of Light technology/propulsion. This latter is a broken technology in the sense that it also makes for top-end defensive and offensive capabilities, but it still looks darn cool and makes for a lot of creatively interesting visuals.

3. Leo/Aries
There's nothing remarkable about these mobile suits, but they give off the feel of utilitarian line mobile suits. I really like the idea of no-fancy business, capable designs that are straightforward general combat machines. If humanoid mecha are really ever designed, this is one of ways they'd look. I'd put the Zakus here, but they don't seem to give off the same feel, and I've never really warmed to them.

It's a real pity that the creators of Wing decided to treat these mobile suits like Fokker fodder...

4. Dom Trooper
The Dom Trooper is here for purely aesthetic reasons. I never liked the look of the various UC Doms/Dom-lookalikes; but I find this redesign very appealing. Easily my favorite Cosmic Era mobile suit. In term of overall looks, only Launcher Strike Gundam (not the other versions, mind you) come close to being as appealing to me.

5. Tieren
The Tieren is in the same boat as the Leo/Aries units. It's a solid-looking clunky design that gives the feeling like the developers had a clue as to how war machines are supposed to look. The only thing that I don't like about the standard model is that the wrist-mounted gun looks awfully flimsy. It's also too bad that the Fokker fodder syndrome shows up here as well.

RDF2050 2008-12-30 15:15

Ok, here is my first list:

Spoiler:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wings: Wing Zero

It is my first Gundam series I had watch and I love how the wing zero is. It is fast, powerful and the character, Hero, is my favorite pilot. The Mobile suit include two powerful cannons, the zero system and good armor.

SeedFreedom 2008-12-30 15:33

My list:

1. Wing Zero

Amazingly beautiful design. It just looks stunning and the EW version is even nicer. A whole lot of power is also nice.

2. Cherudim/Dynames

I always loved snipers and it was a dream come true to see a sniper gundam.

3. Strike Freedom

I gotta admit, i love this suit simply for its pwnage. But it doesn't need some gimmick (moonlight butterfly) to dominate and simply out shoots everyone else. (i know a lot of people will disagree, but this is my opinion)

4. Nu gundam

Amazingly beautiful and powerful. simply amazing suit.
Edit: i should add this covers the nu gundam and hi-nu gundam.

5. Heavyarms

I have never seen such suppression power from a gundam like HeavyArms. IT didnt use beam weapons and brought back old school gatling guns and missiles. Too bad it ran out of ammo every battle, but it made it more real.

6. RX-78

The gundam that made us all love gundam. It's on my list for its historical significance. It's also pretty dominate.

kk2extreme 2008-12-30 15:47

1. turn A, Turn X - most powerful and unusual

2. Wing Zero/ zero custom- most elegant

3. GP03D - freaking ammunition fortress man :D

4. Exia/00 gundam + O-riser - Most modern design

5. GP02A - just love it, nuclear bazooka :)

6. hi-Nu/sazabi - awesome design, what can i say ;)

7. char's zaku - got to respect the zaku :D

8. Musha gundam - It looks awesome

That's it for now, back for more

kakakka 2008-12-30 16:19

I'll just list the Gundams first...

1) Wing Gundam Zero (Endless Waltz Version)
I really like those wings, though I don't know if it has a use (aside for being shields).

2) 00 Gundam
I hated this one when it came out, but when I bought the kit, I realized that its so beautiful. It really speaks power and movement with those bulky arms and legs.

3) Altron Gundam EW Version
I liked how big those Dragon fangs are. They could easily destroy MS and could be used as shields. Though I think the arms suffers movement due to the fangs' weight and size.

4) Gundam Deathscythe Hell TV Version
My first fav. Gundam. Can't be replaced by the EW Version.

5) Victory 2 Gundam
Looked badass. Though I still haven't finished the series.

Special Mentions
Strike Freedom Gundam
Gundam Dynames
Arios Gundam
Nu Gundam
Gundam MK II

CrackerJack 2008-12-30 16:48

1. Devil gundam
-Funky series with funky gundams, but this bad boy out-shines even shining gundam.
2. Zaku
-the fundamental design to all other mechas
3.Eypon
-The better looking bird in Gundam Wing

LordStrike 2008-12-30 18:52

so many

Exia: i just feel in love whit this baby

Dynames: it looks beautiful :)

Hi Nu Gundam: "Beltorchika's Children" novel all i can say is OMG i want it

00 riser: so cool so nice and screams out POWER!

Strike Freedom Gundam: i just purely love the design of this gundam

Heavyarms/EW edition: love this design

Gundam Deathscythe and Deathscythe Hell EW edition i just fell in love whit this baby one of teh best design

Wing Zero Ew edition : all i can say is beautiful

and so many more so many more.

Urei 2008-12-30 18:58

1) 00/00-Raiser

Well, there are very few unit designs which lack the said exaggerated flashiness or uselessness of the base design. 00 is in my opinion a perfect representation of a realistic way of showing a Gundam. The design lacks components that have been added purely for the artistic effect. It's a thought through design featuring the 'right' amount of beauty and the 'right' amount of raw power. It's purely tech and equipment based.

2) GP-03S

A unique design as well. I'm not talking about any specific components but the overall way of their presentation. It's a very nice Gundam that has it's own style while keeping to the RX-78 heritage.

3) Kampfer

Although the design strays a bit from what we all are used to, the color scheme and the thruster units located along the outer layer of the frame stole my heart.

4) Zeta / Qubeley / Qubeley Mass Production model

Not much to say about Zeta. The design differs from most suits with it's pointy shapes. The thing I like about it the most is the design of the backpack and it's waverider form design. Qubeley is very unique. It's one of the few designs that I hated the first time I saw them but grew to admire later on.

5) Tallgeese III

The best looking unit in the fans all-time-favorite Wing Gundam, in my opinion.

6) RB-79 Ball

Because you don't have to be Amuro and possess a Gundam to destroy cannon fodder *sorry Aina*

Terrestrial Dream 2008-12-30 19:30

Hi-Nu Gundam- Just loved the design in general especially how the funnel is set up, way better than Nu imo.
Deathscyte Hell Custom- Fell in love at the first sight when I watched EW. To this day it has to be my favorite Gundam.
Turn A- How can I not like the mustache.
Sazabi- Just like the ms design and really liked its weapon design.
GP03 Dendrobium- First saw in SRW 4 and the design itself was very unique and I just like the concept.
Zeta- The head design is nice as well and it gives different feeling compare to other Gundam.
Gouf(8th ms Team version)- Just loved the design especially the sword and its other weapon, much better than the GSD one.
Gundam EZ-8- Just like its military type look.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2008-12-30 21:19

I just freaking love Gundam Exia's design. Sleek....slender, everything about it works in every possible way. They just had to ruin it by doing the traditional "upgrade" trend. Should have just let Exia be the main Gundam, period.

I also love the Geara Doga from Char's Counter Attack. BEST MASS PRODUCED ZEON SUIT EVER.

gsquared 2008-12-30 21:20

Its pretty hard to compile a list of favorite designs spanning the Gundam franchise, but I think here would be my top 5, in no particular order:

NZ-666 Kshatriya from Gundam Unicorn:
I dont even know how to describe this design. Its just...awesome. Very bold and sophisticated looking.

Zeta Gundam from Zeta:
The design is very streamlined and shares many characteristics of a modern day jet fighter. Head unit is especially cool.

Infinite Justice from GSD:
Forget the shortcomings of Seed and Destiny, the IJ design (more specifically the MG rendition), like the Zeta, is refined and streamlined. Everything about this design seems to have the purpose of flying: the head unit with the three-pronged look (sensor and v-fin), the chest and leg vents, and the Fatum pack. Very aggressive and dynamic look. Having so many beam weapons don't hurt either.

Freedom from GS:
I was sold on its design the first time i saw it. Absolutely loved the design of the wing unit and the beam canons, especially in HiMat mode.

S Gundam from Gundam Sentinel:
What a beast. Unlike the sophisticated and elegant look of Kshatriya, the S Gundam's design is pretty simple but effective. Everything is BIG on this mech, from the face vents to the shoulders to the knees. Huge gun, check, transformation, check, AI system, check. This thing is a monster. Plus, are there any other mech design in all of Gundam with more kick ass variants than the S Gundam?

Close but no cigar:
Wing Zero Custom- Endless Waltz
Exia- Gundam 00
Turn A- Turn A Gundam
GN-X- Gundam 00
Hi-Nu- Beltorchikas Children
Sinanju- Gundam Unicorn
F 91- Gundam F91

LightningZERO 2008-12-30 21:34

Tough one, as my favorite design changes very often :D

00 Gundam
I like melee suit, and it looks pretty amazing too, especially with 0 Raiser equipped.

Gundam Exia
What can you say? Seven Sword!

Hi-Nu Gundam
I like the color of the suit, and it's a really pretty Gundam. Nice wing

Destiny Gundam
Dig the wings, the head, and the big ass sword

GP-03S
Hey, a very special MA look! :D

RX-78-2 Gundam
Of course, the one that starts it all!

Special mention:
Zeta Gundam
Gundam X
Kyrios/Arios Gundam
Wing Gundam Zero Custom

Nerroth 2008-12-30 21:41

For me, my favourite had long been the GSX-401FW Stargazer - an elegant design, unlike any of its peers, and intended for a noble purpose.

(I hope that one day, there might be a chance to see models of this class serve their intended purpose, exploring the likes of the Jovian system and elsewhere on missions of exploration.)

However, I find that in the AD era, there are a number of suits and units I like the design of - although it's taken a while for some of them to grow on me, I admit.

For Celestial Being, I like the 00 (with and without the 0-Raiser) itself the best for now - though the Cherudim is also neat, and the Transfan in me demands that I like the Arios and GN Archer.

I must say that the Throne designs do kind of sneak up on you - though I don't like the Eins much (mainly because of the oversized fin on its head) the Drei is cool enough design-wise, and the Zwei makes a great antagonist (as does the Arche).

For A-Laws, Mr. Bushido's Ahead is a nice design (I like the Ahead in general, though I wonder if A-Laws will eventually have enough to fill out full squadrons with them, as opposed to using them as squad leaders with GN-XIIIs) but I don't care much for the Gadessa or Garazzo.

I'm hoping for big things from Mr. Bushido's new suit, though - and hoping that there will be a successor to the Drei which might be intended to link with the Riian!

Double 120% 2008-12-30 22:01

Gundam Mecha Designs I like In no particular order..

-Dendrobium

-Val Varo

-Saviour Gundam

-Full Armor Zeta - Sentinel Version

-Zeta C1

-Zeta A1

-Heavy Arms Custom

-Wing Gundam

-Re-GZ (Refined Gundam Zeta)

-AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra

-The various versions of deathsycthe, particularly the one with rocket attached the scythe

-DESTROY Gundam

Various Non-Gundam Designs I'm a fan of:

-The Evangelion Units

-The Gurren Lagann suits particularly Chouginga Gurren Lagann

-Gurren Mk. II, Lancelot Albion, Shinkirou, Galahad

-Big O

Miyamoto Shin 2008-12-30 22:32

Wow...tough...Especially with tons of Cool MS from C.E Universe...

1. Legend Gundam
My favorite...It's bulky body and Massive Backpack makes it Looks really Grand and Powerful...and it's simple plain coloring reduce it's Glamor level too....:D

2. Hyaku Shiki
Like the Color, love the Slender Simple Design...it looks like a Golden Ninja Mobile Suit with it's high Agility and maneuverability....Not to mention Anti Beam Coating makes it pretty much Invulnerable to Beam Weapons (even tho it's not deflecting them:p)....

3. Stargazer Gundam
Simple Design, yet so grand and godly looking one....it's Vouiture Lumiere Ring also make it's godly look more....

4. Freedom Gundam
The Original Freedom...It's cool wings, and High Speed + Maneuverability makes it like the King of the Sky...Not to mention it's Fullburst (well not so great tho...it just shot 5 cannons compared to 13 cannons of Strike Freedom:rolleyes:)...

5. Testament Gundam
Evangelion-like MS...It's interchangeable backpack like Strike or Impulse...simply the best one ever created out of the other Multi-purpose MS...

6. Destiny GUndam
Aside from it's pilot, It's pretty much one hell of amazing suit...Looks really perfect with the Arondight AS Sword and the High energy Beam cannon on it's left wing...and not to mention..Butterfly WIng of Light...

7. Gundam GP02 Physalis
Very Bulky and Sturdy Looking...With a Gigantic Bazooka on it's SHoulder...and a Giant Super Thick Shield on it's Left Arm...Simply one of the Badass Looking MS in the Gundam Universe...:D

8. Gundam GP03 Dendrobrium Stamen & Dendrobrium Orchis
It's the most expensive HG 1/144 i ever know...labeled with 28000 yen...It's a Small Normal GUndam "Stamen" with the Gigantic Backpack "Orchis"...Very Cool even if compared to the Meteor units....and super colossal build

9. Infinite Justice
The Red Warrior...Love it's design and The Faturn01...especially it's head and beam saber generator all over it's body...and the Faturn is awesome as well

10. Zeta Gundam
The old first Aero-transformable MS yet the Coolest there is...so yeah...definitely awesome...

Special Design :
1. Gouf/ Gouf ignited
No..they're not just grunts...Gouf ignited is a Special Mass-Produced MS assigned only for Top-Ranked Zaft's Pilot...Not grunts or low-ranked pilots...As we know...Yzak and Heine (Faith member) got the Gouf, but Red Uniform like Rey or Lunamaria didn't...and not even Dearka....

Non-Gundam Design :
1. Shinkirou

that is all

nutype 2008-12-30 22:44

just from 00:

1. throne eins - pure badassery here.
2. kyurios - aethetically pleasing
3. Union overflag
4. Exia - for it's modern design concept

that's about it I'm honestly not loving the newer designs since s2. I dont like the 'masked' look on the face either as to me it looks like a step backward for gundam innovation. As cool as the 00 looks it kind of screams of every gundam before it.

TrueKnight 2008-12-30 22:48

1. Wing Zero and Custom (Endless Walts)

Wing was my first Gundam. Seeing the cool looking Wing Zero for the first time left an everlasting impression on me. The EW version was just beautiful adding and wields a twin buster rifle. Best looking Gundam in my opinion.

2. Deathscythe Hell (Endless Waltz version)

Looks wicked, evil and wields a fricking sycthe beamsaber. An angel of death version of Gundam, plus it's pilot is a former priest to add the irony.

3. GP01 Zephyrantes

Cool looking plus a 360 degree cockpit with insane mobility.

4. Sazabi.

Red, wields a beam tomahawk, looks manly with all it's attachments/armnaments.

5. Cherudim and Dynames.

Finally a Gundam that specialized in sniping.

NoLongerSane 2008-12-30 22:50

The Espeon and Talgeese III were my favorites before my interest in the series declined. I have just gotten back into watching the current series and might change my mind.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2008-12-30 23:18

I also like the Strike Gundam, very awesome design, gotta love all of it's weapons too.