AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Thunderbirds (2015) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117718)

AnimeFan188 2013-02-04 13:11

Thunderbirds (2015)

"Good news today for people of a certain age (okay, and children too): there's
going to be a new series of 'Thunderbirds' produced for UK channel ITV.

Gerry Anderson's tales from Tracy Island are to be given a new-generation, CGI
spin by ITV, Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop, according to a news release
from the channel issued on 4 February. The first of 26 new 30min episodes will be
aired during 2015, under the name 'Thunderbirds are go!'"

See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...2015-re-l.html

Kyero Fox 2013-02-04 15:41

Thundercats needed a snack.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-04 15:53

Weta does good work. A pity Anderson is no longer around to supervise.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-02-04 18:54

So...no more puppet characters? CGI all the way? :confused:

I've seen the original puppet show a looong time ago when I was still a kid. It really impressed at the time. Then, years later, I watched the puppet sex scene in Team America :twitch:. Thanx to that, I'll never see Thunderbirds characters in the same light again :uhoh:. Team America, what have you done to me? :heh:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-04 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 4541069)
So...no more puppet characters? CGI all the way? :confused:

I've seen the original puppet show a looong time ago when I was still a kid. It really impressed at the time. Then, years later, I watched the puppet sex scene in Team America :twitch:. Thanx to that, I'll never see Thunderbirds characters in the same light again :uhoh:. Team America, what have you done to me? :heh:

Anderson never liked the puppets anyway. He only used them to save money, and jumped right into liveaction as soon as he was famous. Was he to be born in the the modern day he would have used CGI animation.

Kaijo 2013-02-04 19:28

Thunderbirds Argo? Is that the Thunderbirds version of Argo?

:p

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-04 19:32

I sometimes wonder... If we really get started on civilian space travel, at some we are going to need a full time emergency response team who use spaceships. It would be hard to not call them Thunderbirds if that's the case.:heh:

NightbatŪ 2013-02-04 19:40

THAT'S IT!!!

I'm never shoving another penny towards the bloody, creatively-bankrupt, overpaid f'ups in hollywood unless it guarantees me -in writing- sex afterwards

CGI Thunderbirds? You've got to be bloody kidding me?
Making movies was an art, making Thunderbirds was a friggin CRAFT!
(NO! Don't get me started on the live action film, ...No Really, Do. Not. go there)

Even 32 years after first seeing the show, I am still amazed how well the animatronics and special FX were used
it's the reason thunderbirds have never been forgotten

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-04 19:44

The people who used to do puppetry have now all moved to the CGI field. This is just the way the cookie crumbles.

There will never be another puppetry Thunderbirds. Even if we resurrect Anderson, he would have refused to make another series.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-02-04 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightbatŪ (Post 4541111)
(NO! Don't get me started on the live action film, ...No Really, Do. Not. go there)

Yeah, that movie was silly.

The funny thing is, the one bit that I remember out of that LA Thunderbirds is an emergency report saying that "There's a volcano eruption in Jakarta." among other things. I mean, a volcano eruption? In my capital city?? :twitch: Somebody clearly didn't do a little research when they make that movie. :heh:

Vexx 2013-02-04 20:07

To me, half the fascination was watching them do such marvelous things with *puppets* - CGIing the presentation? meh.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-04 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4541136)
To me, half the fascination was watching them do such marvelous things with *puppets* - CGIing the presentation? meh.

I understand. It is like watching a blacksmith forging a sword. The skills required to do things the old fashioned way is fascinating.

But that wasn't true Thunderbirds. It didn't use puppetry because it was art; it was puppetry because there was no money for special effects. Retro has its charms, but it would be a mistake to think of Thunderbirds as a Retro TV series. It was cutting edge for its time.
A new Thunderbirds cannot, and should not, evoke nostalgia. A new Thunderbirds should be futuristic, like it should be. Like the Thunderbirds anime I used to love so much.

GundamFan0083 2013-02-04 21:05

The new Thunderbirds looks interesting.
Wish they'd redo/update the old anime version.

Wasn't half bad of a show either.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2013-02-04 21:42

Will probably still watch this since I like Thunderbirds, but dang I was hoping for some puppet work. One can only imagine how improved the puppetry would've been today with a modern touch.

Heck they could've had Jim Henson's Creature Shop do the work, heh.

Vexx 2013-02-05 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant (Post 4541158)
I understand. It is like watching a blacksmith forging a sword. The skills required to do things the old fashioned way is fascinating.

But that wasn't true Thunderbirds. It didn't use puppetry because it was art; it was puppetry because there was no money for special effects. Retro has its charms, but it would be a mistake to think of Thunderbirds as a Retro TV series. It was cutting edge for its time.
A new Thunderbirds cannot, and should not, evoke nostalgia. A new Thunderbirds should be futuristic, like it should be. Like the Thunderbirds anime I used to love so much.

Actually, I had no idea there ever existed a "cartoon/anime" Thunderbirds. You're right, of course about the puppetry - but that really was what fascinated *me* back in the 1960/70s when I watched it. Puppets smoking, drinking, what-seemed-like-adult-plots.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-02-05 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4541317)
You're right, of course about the puppetry - but that really was what fascinated *me* back in the 1960/70s when I watched it. Puppets smoking, drinking, what-seemed-like-adult-plots.

Were you fascinated watching Team America's puppets doing whatever they do? If you haven't watched it, go for it, now! :D I think that movie was a nod to Thunderbirds since they use similar puppets (but I could be wrong). As for me, I got traumatized by one particular scene I already mentioned in my post above :heh:.

Patriot's Blade 2013-02-05 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 (Post 4541184)
The new Thunderbirds looks interesting.
Wish they'd redo/update the old anime version.

Wasn't half bad of a show either.

wait, isn't that anime DOES NOT had to do with the Thunderbirds series? if you looked at the original japanese title? :heh:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-02-05 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. (Post 4541484)
wait, isn't that anime DOES NOT had to do with the Thunderbirds series? if you looked at the original japanese title? :heh:

It's clearly made with Thunderbirds in mind. They probably wanted to rip it off without paying royalties.

And then the Western release had the sound effects of Anderson shows dubbed in and the Thunderbird name added. Frankly it's a case where the Western dub is probably more authentic than the Japanese original.:heh:

Vexx 2013-02-05 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 4541328)
Were you fascinated watching Team America's puppets doing whatever they do? If you haven't watched it, go for it, now! :D I think that movie was a nod to Thunderbirds since they use similar puppets (but I could be wrong). As for me, I got traumatized by one particular scene I already mentioned in my post above :heh:.

Oh, it was TOTALLY an homage to the old Thunderbirds and the other puppet series produced back then. The makers of Team America almost have to be my age or have tripped across those old British series.

Smoking, drinking, flirting, sexy puppets. It was great.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-02-05 04:28

Will they use the classic machines for this series? While TB no.2 is fans-favorite, I remember back then my favorite was that rocket thing that came out of swimming pool. It's TB no.1 if I'm not mistaken.