AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8975)

yujen 2004-03-07 23:50

GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka

one of my friend told me it's one of the funniest anime he ever saw. has anybody see it before? and is it worth getting?

babbito2k 2004-03-08 00:06

By "get" do you mean buy? I wouldn't buy it; renting it is safe I guess if you can do that. The manga is funny but the anime is just not up to par.

hak 2004-03-08 02:02

hmm i dont concurr lol the anime with the engrish voices is just terrible... with the japanese voice its hilarious.

delta9 2004-03-10 09:36

I'ts definitely worth getting if you have the money and love the series. DL or rent the first few volumes/episodes and see how you like it. It never got boring to me and yeah it is really funny.

Tenkoy 2004-03-10 09:39

I loved the anime version of GTO. It's a lot funnier in Japanese, just as the guy above pointed out. Although sometimes I found the dub to also be funny in it's own way.

It's definately worth a look at, at the very lease.

Kyuven 2004-03-10 11:01

the english voice for Onizuka is pretty well done, but most of the others suck (i looked at the cast, and saw that miyabi, Chairman Sakurai, and 1 or 2 others were all voiced by the same person o_o)
it's definately worth getting, even though it's not even close to the manga in terms of greatness

MrBrown 2004-03-10 11:19

The anime is slow, has low quality animation compared to it's time, bad casting, and is well just not that good. Then again, I didn't think the manga was that awesome either. Too many tangent plots, though the better ones were great. ;)

Taboo 2004-03-11 01:09

I haven't seen the manga, but I got the DVD box set (With free Tshirt! Woo! ^_~) in December. I really enjoyed it and I thought the animation added to the humor. The only time I listened to the English cast was on the blooper/outakes. If your not up to going all out with the full set now, renting the first disc or two is a good idea. ^_^

FinFangFoom 2004-03-11 04:06

I've only seen the subbed version, but I can say it's pretty damn funny at times. I didn't like most of the characters, but the main character Onizuka is probably the single coolest character in anime ever. (IMHO)

kanazuchi 2004-03-11 23:18

Werd, Onizuka is just plain awesome. I happened to start watching the series last night, then not going to sleep till 5 in the morning. I just finished it a little bit ago and loved it, one of the funniest things Ive ever watched (I had to cover my face in a pillow a few times to keep from waking people up in my house....)

hak 2004-03-11 23:31

yep great series ^^ and awesome soundtrack specially the l'arc en ciel opening, second opening is not bad either... oh yeh second ending is real good too hehe :D

Sunni 2004-10-21 15:48

GTO!!!Great Teacher Onizuka

<licensed, do not discuss fansubs>
Very fun and good character...the story is also good
What do you guys think?

Nolan Void 2004-10-21 16:09

Gto

since its liscensed,

fansubs arent an option

7thMethuselah 2004-10-21 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunni
Sugoi anime.....Fansub is ok..
Very fun and good character...the story is also good
What do you guys think?

I think (nope I know for sure) this series is licensed -> so wrong forum, place it in DVD&Licensed forum next time...

You might wanna check these threads
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...hlight=onizuka
or this one in the general anime forum
and this in the manga forum
or this (read only, it was shut down)

TheLaughingMan 2004-10-21 16:40

GTO is my second favorite series of all time. I am partial to the anime over the manga though. Since I have seen all of the anime, and have just read a few volumes of the manga.

The story is really good, though to some people it might be a bit shocking, due to Onizuka's looking to score some coed action. The characters and their personalities really make the show, the animation is mediocre (a lot of people didn't like the various, unrealistic faces characters sometimes make).

I had often heard people saying the anime's ending is "one of the worst endings ever", I didn't think it was that bad, but it certainly left you like... :twitch:

Can someone tell me, in spoilers, how the manga ended?

root 2004-11-19 04:32

GTO: DVD Collection 1

Hi,

I've been looking around for this boxset collection, but it seems no where to be found. It was only released not even a year ago 12.02.03. The second collection was released recently 10.12.04, and I ordered that. However, the 1st collection is evading me. Searching around, only place that sorta had it was amazon.com which had it as used, or IMPORTED which contains all episodes 1-43. I'm suspecting that this all episodes edition may be a bootleg version. Does anyone know if TokyoPop has discontinued the first collection not even a year since its release?

7thMethuselah 2004-11-19 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by root
Hi,

I've been looking around for this boxset collection, but it seems no where to be found. It was only released not even a year ago 12.02.03. The second collection was released recently 10.12.04, and I ordered that. However, the 1st collection is evading me. Searching around, only place that sorta had it was amazon.com which had it as used, or IMPORTED which contains all episodes 1-43. I'm suspecting that this all episodes edition may be a bootleg version. Does anyone know if TokyoPop has discontinued the first collection not even a year since its release?

Tokyopop has only released two box sets. i believe the first one was sold out pretty quickly (I remember that since I had a hard time getting my hands on it) and I haven't seen any reprints ever since. And wasn't it released later than that? (or maybe it was released later over here in Europe)
The official Tokyopop GTO box 1 has episodes 1- 23 and consist of the regular GTO discs 1 to 5 (along with a box and t-shirt). The one on amazon could be a bootleg.

elniro 2004-11-20 16:54

GTO is way more expensive than other anime, i want to watch it but i can't afford it, i can buy 2-3 DVDs for the price of one GTO DVD

7thMethuselah 2004-11-20 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by elniro
GTO is way more expensive than other anime, i want to watch it but i can't afford it, i can buy 2-3 DVDs for the price of one GTO DVD

Hmm, I bought the two boxes for about 80-85 $ each, they carry 23 and 20 episodes respectively. They are no cheaper or more expensive than other anime DVD's. Check around in a couple stores or online places, you should be able to find them at a reasonable price.

xris 2004-11-20 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by elniro

In that case you must be getting ripped off (assuming you are talking about the TokyoPop release).

You can find GTO DVDs for the same sort of price as most anime DVD (retail or discounted price). If you look at on-line stores, such as DVDPacific, each GTO DVD costs under $19. The second box set (20 eps) cost under $62.