AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Why keep PS armor on? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=33448)

M_Flores 2006-06-22 20:05

Why keep PS armor on?

Just wondering, although this issue may have been raised before, so forgive me.

There are some parts in SEED where you see Gundams like Strike, Buster, etc. especially after the Alliance's first attack on Orb;

The thing is, you see Mwu, Dearka, plus Astray girls being exhausted after a hard battle etc. etc. but you notice that Strike and Buster still has phase shift on when they're not even piloting it.
What's the point of that? Isn't that just a waste of power?
I understand that Justice and Freedom have PS on all the time, but it makes sense.

And another instance, Mwu was lifting boxes using Strike with the Astray girls, etc. etc. but you can see Strike's colors, I'd assume the PS was on. Is there a particular reason or threat Mwu would need to protect himself against while lifting crates? Why waste power when you're just lifting boxes?

Silent Soldier 2006-06-22 20:20

There could be a few reasons one when they did those scenes perhaps they decided to ignore the whole phase shift thing being on and just had it on so the gundams would be colorful in the shots after all dont we want to see a red, blue and white mobile suit verses a dull grey one.
The scene with mwu lifting the crates he knew he wasnt going into battle and he would have time to recharge the strikes battery so maybe he just wanted the phase shift on to look cool in front of the astray girls mwu does like to show off to the ladies:heh:
After the hard battle they know they will be returning to the ship soon so why not keep it on you can never be too careful or maybe they were too lazy to turn it off.
I think it mainly more about them not wanting to show you grey gundams when you could have the phase shift on and be colorful even if it doesnt make sense or actually have a need for the phase shift to be powered up.

masterwok 2006-06-22 20:54

well i think they have phase shift armor on is that just in case an enemy comes to attack, so i guess just to be prepared. if not then i don't know.

tritoch 2006-06-22 21:34

Phase Shift to prevent dents. :heh:

It's like keeping a brand spanking new car, you don't want any dents nor any dust. IT HAS TO BE SHINY and FLAWLESS. :heh:

reinloch 2006-06-22 22:11

Weak scriptwriters.

Village Idiot 2006-06-22 22:50

It probably cost a ton of power for the initial power up of Phase Shift, and since there's a high chance they'll get attacked without warning, its better power-wise to just keep the PS on.

Potatochobit 2006-06-23 05:54

i dont think they built in an off button. maybe in the production models.

RX-78GP04G Gerbera 2006-06-23 08:05

I'd have to go with people saying that they basically just quit paying attention to the whole "time limit" of Phase Shift later in the series...I mean...only times they really "shut off" later were when Buster got totalled by Providence, Yzak finished the Raider, Strike's head floating in space and such. :heh:

SNT1 2006-06-23 09:16

what I dont understand, in Gundam vs Gundam fights, why dont they just turn of PS while fighting? Except for the 2nd gen-MSe, impule, strike, saviour, when they battle they rarely see a kinetic weapon anyway, everything else is beam. Maybe that structural integrity of their physical armor is so weak w/o PS armor a CIWS can cripple it?

Silent Soldier 2006-06-23 09:36

Without phase shift I think that even a CIWS could give them trouble. You never know what could happen in a gundam fight all of a sudden something unexpected could happen like you might have to dodge fire from the enemy mother ship guns or something and if there projectile weapons phase shift will protect you. Or maybe they just want the gundams to be all cool and colorful when they fight each other instead of dull grey who knows.:heh:

srb 2006-06-23 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNT1
what I dont understand, in Gundam vs Gundam fights, why dont they just turn of PS while fighting? Except for the 2nd gen-MSe, impule, strike, saviour, when they battle they rarely see a kinetic weapon anyway, everything else is beam. Maybe that structural integrity of their physical armor is so weak w/o PS armor a CIWS can cripple it?

The CIWS on Impulse fires rounds that's 1/3 of the caliber that the rounds Freedom's CIWS use, yet they penetrate Dagger armor with ease - having PS off would make you CIWS meat, basically.

fizzmaister 2006-06-23 14:46

that would be hillarious if at one point you found that several grunts during major space battles actually died from space junk collisions.

Last_Hope 2006-06-23 15:16

Because the mechas looks much prettier with all the colors. :D

On the battlefield there are so many dangers so if the PS reduces the dangers by 1% it´s worth using.

In this case CIWS and somewhat against missiles. And collisions (suicide attacks) too maybe?

tritoch 2006-06-23 15:19

Actually PS armor is used when facing Athrun because he likes to ram into things.. :heh:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2006-06-23 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by srb
The CIWS on Impulse fires rounds that's 1/3 of the caliber that the rounds Freedom's CIWS use, yet they penetrate Dagger armor with ease - having PS off would make you CIWS meat, basically.

Actually, it could be worse.

It's entirety likely that the designers of PS-armour equipped MS would intentionally make the armour thinner than usual to conserve weight, using PS to compensate. This allows the mobilesuit to be more agile and avoid enemy fire. Thus, by turning off PS you could be operating the mobilesuit outside its normal designed parameters.

Commander 598 2006-06-23 19:01

But then, why do we see weights exceeding 70 tons? Kinda negates that idea.

srb 2006-06-23 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander 598
But then, why do we see weights exceeding 70 tons? Kinda negates that idea.

The Murasame weighs in at 38 tons, the Dagger L att 55 tons - the poor Murasame can't have very heavy armor at all :(.

So basically, every MS but the PS-powered ones are getting lighter.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2006-06-23 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by srb
The Murasame weighs in at 38 tons, the Dagger L att 55 tons - the poor Murasame can't have very heavy armor at all :(.

So basically, every MS but the PS-powered ones are getting lighter.

It would be ironic if the heavy component is actually the phase-shift generator...:p

M_Flores 2006-06-24 00:51

Well, you also see a few fights where MS's are being kicked around, smacking each other etc. (e.g Freedom kicking Duel from behind, Justice doing Shawn Michaels superkick on Forbidden, etc.) so I guess the PS kinda lessens the damage from these?
I think PS is the reason why Freedom didn't seem to leave with a scratch after being mauled constantly by Raider's spike ball thingy.

Anyways, it was funny when I noticed it, it was like the 3rd time I watched SEED and noticed these guys still had their PS on, lol. I guess Mwu really wanted to be careful lifting boxes didn't he...

Commander 598 2006-06-24 01:48

Didn't Freedom lose half of it's head to Raider? It's been awhile since I saw it, but I remember it was an entertaining fight.