AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   H.P.Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories (ga-nime) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=76406)

metamorphic 2009-01-06 08:43

H.P.Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories (ga-nime)

H.P.Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories H・P・ラヴクラフトのダニッチ・ホラー その他の物語
Animation Production: Toei Animation
Genre: Ga-nime, horror
Release date: August 28, 2007
Cast: Mickey Curtis, Endou Ken'ichi, Emoto Tasuku
Staff: Shinagawa Ryou (director, script, storyboard), Yamashita Shouhei (artist), Jim O'Rourke (music)

TOEI Animation has recently been producing a lot of experimental ga-nime, and this is the latest, based on the legendary horror maestro H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror. Lovecraft's work has been a huge influence on the entire horror genre and in anime as well, with authors & screenwriters like Chiaki J. Konaka being influenced through his stories. Each of the screenshots paint a vivid, dark portrayal that is so reflective of the Lovecraftian style. This is definitely worth checking out, especially for Lovecraft fans out there.

Malkuth 2009-01-06 09:25

What is a ga-nime :confused:

Mr Hat and Clogs 2009-01-06 09:39

Quick google of ga-nime spits out this, an.. interesting.. idea. Reminds of those old B&W movies with the piano playing, a scene happens then there is a black screen with dialog or something explaining the scene.

But OMG Lovecraft!

LightningZERO 2009-01-06 09:40

Horror anime? Sounds interesting

Mr Hat and Clogs 2009-01-06 09:45

It won't be a traditional type of anime though...

Quote:

Similar to comics, ga-nime will be composed of a series of static pictures accompanied by music and speech. This "limited-anime" approach leaves behind the complex plot and characters found in most anime, and aims to stimulate the audience's imagination through various techniques such as the manipulation of time between each picture.
It's more a slide show type deal it seems.

Sounds interesting though, if they do it right could have some pretty intense scenes.

Malkuth 2009-01-06 10:10

http://comipress.com/files/images/ne...ganimelogo.gif

You're kidding, I never believed that any language except english could be butchered by its native speakers :uhoh:

As for dark mood with a lot of stills and narrative for limited audiences, we already had Gilgamesh and Hitsuji no Uta

Hell if you replace the horror tag with artsy you might be able to refer any of SHAFT's anime of last half decade :p

I'll give it a shot though, since I like all the above :heh:

Vash002 2009-01-06 10:16

Is this sum Nitro+ work?
Just joking, this looks interesting. Website's video was very good.

Rahan 2009-01-06 10:26

Damn.
I was so happy just to see Lovecraft's name, but ... ga-nime ?

Well, I'll check it out (because I am a huge Lovecraft fan), but I don't expect too much from it ...

Father Hentai 2009-01-06 19:55

Why does that doll on look like Adolf Hitler? O_o;

Avisch 2009-01-06 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash002 (Post 2145558)
Is this sum Nitro+ work?

LOL. They did refference all of Lovecraft in Demonbane :)

Hmm. I hope they do the "The Outside" that tale is pretty sweet.

glyph 2009-01-07 14:08

The works adapted are

Spoiler:

Lovecraft, huh? Never thought I would see that adapted to anime. OK, so technically, it's not really an animation. More like an audiobook or audio drama with visuals, isn't it?

Ugh, did they give away
Spoiler:

Vash002 2009-01-07 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avisch (Post 2146502)
LOL. They did refference all of Lovecraft in Demonbane :)

Hmm. I hope they do the "The Outside" that tale is pretty sweet.

They do pretty much in every single little thing.
I'm rooting for "The Colour Out of Space", hell yeah.

stormy001_M1A2 2009-01-07 16:39

Alright, excellent. Something that has nothing to do with short skirt moe blob school girl with high pitched voice!

Malkuth 2009-01-08 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 (Post 2147920)
Alright, excellent. Something that has nothing to do with short skirt moe blob school girl with high pitched voice!

lol, but it has to do with artsy, underfunded, art student project, clay-dolls-are-cheap so let's pick something popular to make money :confused:

I just went through a few frames quickly to get the whole premise;

art and direction, I did not like, but ...
... I am extremely interested in the transition and interpretation of LC's work from such an "alien" culture ;)

u43368 2009-01-10 03:29

I really like Lovecraft and all but... ga-nime?

Eh, might be worth a try. I've yet to see an anime that truly emulates Lovecraft's style.

metamorphic 2009-01-29 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kroni (Post 2152346)
I really like Lovecraft and all but... ga-nime?

Eh, might be worth a try. I've yet to see an anime that truly emulates Lovecraft's style.

Konaka Chiaki's shows have often paid intentional homages to the overall Lovecraftian style, I think Ghost Hound particularly had certain Lovecraft elements. It's being used more and more in games these days, so is something I'd really like to see more anime screenwriters use in their scripts. It's something that won't grow old.

Zu Ra 2009-01-30 06:35

I got introduced to Lovecraft via Cthulhu Mythos in Demonbane . The fansub that was handling this show gave a detailed explanation and summary of the terms introduced . Not a spectacular start I know but a start never the less . This show is top of my list thanks to Lovecraft and the added element of Horror . Horror / Supernatural are my favorite genre of anime and this show will be a treat ... Just can wait for this so excited : D

Edgewalker 2009-02-03 02:18

From what I understand Ga-anime is like watching a VNovel.

u43368 2009-02-03 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteria (Post 2187337)
Konaka Chiaki's shows have often paid intentional homages to the overall Lovecraftian style, I think Ghost Hound particularly had certain Lovecraft elements. It's being used more and more in games these days, so is something I'd really like to see more anime screenwriters use in their scripts. It's something that won't grow old.

I've always heard he was a Lovecraft fan but I never noticed it all that much in his works.

Well, if this does well maybe it'll clear the way to a full-fledged Lovecraft animu. Damn that would be awesome IF it were done right, I shudder at thought of Lovecraft + moe...

kingsky123 2009-02-03 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteria (Post 2145454)
H.P.Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories H・P・ラヴクラフトのダニッチ・ホラー その他の物語
Animation Production: Toei Animation
Genre: Ga-nime, horror
Release date: August 28, 2007
Cast: Mickey Curtis, Endou Ken'ichi, Emoto Tasuku
Staff: Shinagawa Ryou (director, script, storyboard), Yamashita Shouhei (artist), Jim O'Rourke (music)

TOEI Animation has recently been producing a lot of experimental ga-nime, and this is the latest, based on the legendary horror maestro H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror. Lovecraft's work has been a huge influence on the entire horror genre and in anime as well, with authors & screenwriters like Chiaki J. Konaka being influenced through his stories. Each of the screenshots paint a vivid, dark portrayal that is so reflective of the Lovecraftian style. This is definitely worth checking out, especially for Lovecraft fans out there.

wow, i love lovecraft, and i like anime. but i have a feeling they will mangle this. Please let there be no mechs please let there be no mechs. Demonbane was CRAP, all it did was invoke the names = =.

also, i wonder what will the horrors look like in anime form =P.

PPS: i wouldnt mind having a school girl moe blob here. she would either turn insane or die a ****ed up death