AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How different are you Online in comparison to when you're Offline? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=69299)

HayashiTakara 2008-07-27 11:41

How different are you Online in comparison to when you're Offline?

This is what I've always been curious about. I believe its common belief that people are generally ruder online than in real life, as theres that whole anonomys thing going on. So they say and do things they won't normally do. I personally believe I'm the same on and offline.

I'm a overall nice guy, but I'm also a smart ass and a bit of an insensative jerk :heh:, I think some of you who know me here pretty much got that much. My "no bullshit" attitude has also gotten me into trouble on and offline, but I don't mind so much. So, all in all, I don't think I'm any different in real life.

What about you? Are you the same? or different?

amjzz 2008-07-27 11:42

Um....shy online....and probably 2 times more shy at real life...

Mon Cheri 2008-07-27 11:47

I'm the same!!
Not shy at all! >;D

The Chaos 2008-07-27 11:50

I'm Here Nice and Clam...In Real Life Little Crazy not nice at all :p
(That True)

Mystique 2008-07-27 11:51

Nice question, lol.
But then who's really gonna come and confess their true nature if their online fronts offer them "respect", "power" and "leetness".
(Or if it's their hobby to troll and annoy other people)
-This is a question that should be asked on like a WoW forum where the difference may truly be frightening, lol
So i guess you mean 'for forums' then like this. :)

My online personna offers the surface of me. What I present isn't false, it's just not everything.
If I meet up with someone offline, they'll see more depth to add to how I've presented myself online.

Then again (from experience) it's a matter of perception from the other person. No matter how you present yourself, with some people you'll mesh, with others you'll not.
People have a habit to see only what they wanna see...

NorthernFallout 2008-07-27 11:53

I'm more shy offline than online and generally talks much more online, but I have a few rules that I go with.
Mostly that I do NOT want to piss anyone off and getting into bad situations and I always try to be friendly at everyone. That applies to offline aswell.
In summary, I am the same but more talkative.

risingstar3110 2008-07-27 11:59

It's easy to talk and and behavior rudely (or "truely to your id") online certainly. You can't "log off" in real life when you found an annoying bastard. But I still try to stay the same in both "worlds" though ;)

Btw, i have a weird feeling that those in my lectures thought i am a 'delinquent who hardly passed any course' for some reasons, while i have been getting HDs for 70% of total subjects, which nothing to be proud of, but can't be that bad.
I admit i slept in 90% number of Maths lectures through :heh:

PS: any1 know why i easily to fall asleep in lectures? can give me some advices ^^

KiNA 2008-07-27 12:03

Often mistaken as very unfriendly/arrogant/"stay the fark away" bastard to those who dont know me personally.

Less ecchi more romantic to my beloved ms offline.

cheyannew 2008-07-27 12:12

I'm almost the same online as I am offline, with the exception of my pottymouth.

That is to say, I'm generally more careful about using profanity, etc online than I am offline, as I do not know online who is a minor, etc (and in person I do).

Other than that, anyone who's met me offline can attest to the fact I'm prettymuch the same :)

I never saw the point in pretending to be someone else; I am who I am, and people can accept it, or not; it's no issue of mine LOL!

escimo 2008-07-27 12:16

I'm a bigger prick off-line than on-line. Writing something rather than blabbering it out gives me a bit more time to tame my inner a-hole. :heh:

monir 2008-07-27 12:17

Very different. I ride a motor bike offline and look forward to Saturday morning cartoon.

FlareKnight 2008-07-27 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicoX (Post 1760023)
I'm more shy offline than online and generally talks much more online, but I have a few rules that I go with.
Mostly that I do NOT want to piss anyone off and getting into bad situations and I always try to be friendly at everyone. That applies to offline aswell.
In summary, I am the same but more talkative.

Yeah that is pretty much how I'd define myself. Talk more online than I do offline just due to personality. Though I think a constant is that even when I'm online try not to get into big arguments with others.

Differences between online and offline can be fairly interesting.Can pretty consistent overall. Can also use the online persona to be the kind of person you'd ideally like to be.

Narzia 2008-07-27 12:26

Shy online, even shyer in real life.

Eviltape 2008-07-27 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by escimo (Post 1760068)
I'm a bigger prick off-line than on-line. Writing something rather than blabbering it out gives me a bit more time to tame my inner a-hole. :heh:

I'm this, except backwards.

-KarumA- 2008-07-27 14:10

when meeting new people in real life I can be very quiet and obervant, unlike online where I like to talk straight from the first greeting. so as time progresses I open up more and become more comfortable with my suroundings and then people realise that I'm not a quiet shy girl but that I'm a loudmouth, funny and that I say whatever I want.. even it is something that's on my mind.. in other words I'm happy.. I guess XD

Tornix 2008-07-27 14:23

Like some, I tend to curse more offline, but in both I try to stay on good terms with people. Also, I say some pretty random things when I'm hanging with people. :eyespin:

Irenicus 2008-07-27 14:25

I...I don't know. :confused:

I'm not pretending deliberately or anything, I just act like I always do -- but habits formed online and offline can be very different without me even knowing about it.

Moreover, the way I act around people depends very much on how close I am really to them. In real life most people consider me shy and reserved, but a few who are close to me think I'm more cheerful and open and less serious than is first believed. Do I act like that online? I'm really not sure. It might not even be completely comparable since the rules of etiquette and the nature of interactions are so different. Forums like these in particular: they are message-oriented, meaning, while I develop (user)name recognition over time and associate said name with certain characteristics from my impressions, most of the time I'm really more concerned about reading a post and responding to it than particularly focusing on the poster. This means I can respond without any qualms of being unfamiliar with the poster and expect an earnest response in return -- but I don't think most people really act like that in real life. I believe I don't, in any case.

(Etc.)

Oh well.

Eps~ 2008-07-27 14:56

Both online and offline I am a funny guy that likes to annoy people (for laughs, again).

Online I tend to curse more, more of a pervert. Offline more caring, sociable (especially with the opposite sex :D ) and actually a nice, easy going guy who likes to have the leadership role amongst friends.

blue skies 2008-07-27 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by HayashiTakara (Post 1760001)
This is what I've always been curious about. I believe its common belief that people are generally ruder online than in real life, as theres that whole anonomys thing going on. So they say and do things they won't normally do. I personally believe I'm the same on and offline.

I'm a overall nice guy, but I'm also a smart ass and a bit of an insensative jerk :heh:, I think some of you who know me here pretty much got that much. My "no bullshit" attitude has also gotten me into trouble on and offline, but I don't mind so much. So, all in all, I don't think I'm any different in real life.

What about you? Are you the same? or different?

HT, I'm impressed. That's an interesting question. :)

People do seem ruder online than in real life. I guess some people have to let off steam somehow, and the only way for them to do it is by verally abusing complete strangers on the internet. All that pent-up rage can't be good for you...

As for me, I'm not really any different (I think). I'm nice and generally a pretty pleasant, patient, laid-back person (or at least I try to be). How I am online is how I am in real life. But of course, if I'm really a total bitch, it's not like anyone's going to know xD.

Reckoner 2008-07-27 16:05

There are usually three trends that I see with people on the internet. I'll put them in order of commonness.

A) The person is free to express themselves in an environment where they do not care if people are judgmental of them. Their true personality, thoughts, and desires come into full fruition. They will more ruder because they have no fear of consequence. They'll tell people their crazier beliefs that normally may never be told in real life. These people are actually more real on the internet than in real life.

B) People are tired of being themselves on the internet. They do not want to be known as the same person as in real life. A 14 year old will act out like they are a 21 year old for example. By expressing themselves as a different person they almost get a sense of a double life. This is very dangerous when it comes to MMORPG addictions and people do something like this.

C) No change. This happens to be quite rare, I think.

I myself fit into A in my description. The only reason this is true though is that the people that are around with me socially do not have a very high thought capacity. I also do not share hobbies with many of the people in my life such as anime (Hence why I would be on anime forum).