AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Little Witch Academia 2 (OVA) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=120570)

Utsuro no Hako 2013-07-09 01:27

Little Witch Academia 2 (OVA)

The Good News: There's a new LWA project in the works.

The Bad News: It's only a single short film.

Right now Studio Trigger has the budget for a 20 minute film, but they're running a Kickstarter Campaign to bring it up to 35 minutes.

Quote:

The first episode of Little Witch Academia was created under the “Anime Mirai” project by Yoh Yoshinari and studio TRIGGER.

The episode was made available to be viewed on the internet shortly after the premier, and many support and comments were given. To answer to these voices, we have decided to create a sequel to the episode. We also found out about Kickstarter through the comments given by the fans oversea.

Being a new studio, we felt the Kickstarter system to be innovative and fitting to our studio’s taste. Making a series “with” the fans is definitely what we were looking for. With the support from our fans, we believe that we can definitely develop on this new foundation.

Chiaki_chan 2013-07-09 03:13

Quote:

The Good News: There's a new LWA project in the works.
Ho YES episode 2!! :D

Quote:

The Bad News: It's only a single short film.
Ho ok.... ^^" so bad yes... but is just OVA not other ... right? so is OVA 2?

Solace 2013-07-09 03:23

Jesus, it was fully funded on the first day. :twitch:

WTB Kickstarter for personal stuff. I could use a new car. :heh:

Tyabann 2013-07-09 03:39

I hope it continues to make even more money. Let's save anime with crowdfunding. :heh:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-07-09 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solace (Post 4752731)
Jesus, it was fully funded on the first day. :twitch:

WTB Kickstarter for personal stuff. I could use a new car. :heh:

I am interested in finding out what Japan's reaction is. They don't really understand Kickstarter at all in general, and it would be exciting to see them get out of their shell a bit.
One has to wonder does Trigger benefit in not having Corporate sponsors breathing down their necks.

Theo 2013-07-09 03:53

Believe in the power of magic money.

Tyabann 2013-07-09 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant (Post 4752754)
I am interested in finding out what Japan's reaction is. They don't really understand Kickstarter at all in general, and it would be exciting to see them get out of their shell a bit.
One has to wonder does Trigger benefit in not having Corporate sponsors breathing down their necks.

Well, it means they can do whatever they please, though they seem to be doing that even with Aniplex funding Kill-La-Kill.
Really, Trigger is just the greatest thing to happen to anime in a long time, and they haven't even released a TV series yet, ahaha.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-07-09 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 4752764)
Believe in the power of magic money.

It had always been the issue that anime studios can't afford to make anime on their own dime. More so even if they can, a failure would ruin them. So they are forced to get sponsors to share the risks. But then the sponsors siphon off the profits.

But here, with KS, we have essentially super-advanced pre-orders. They have a thousand people who already paid up. And that's just the first day. If they can have less sponsor funding, it could mean they actually get paid more than usual. And they have the peace of mind that they aren't required to meet sales targets to break even.

Keep in mind that I think KS isn't good for original anime. But I think using it to fund proven sequels is definitely on the cards.

Nachtwandler 2013-07-09 04:22

One thing bothers me. Could someone explain?

In ANN article it's said that the second OVA aimed to be ready on winter 2014. But Kikstarter project has winter 2015 as final date. And they already got the needed sum but would earn money 29 more days. I wonder would the get more of it and then the second OVA come out really?

Bern-san 2013-07-09 04:26

Since Kill la Kill airs in October and is going to have 2-cours I don't know if we're going to have it by winter. Otsuka said in the Expo that first they're focusing on KLK and after that they'll work on LWA.

Westlo 2013-07-09 04:29

Waiting for stretch goal - 1 cour tv series.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2013-07-09 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachtwandler (Post 4752793)

In ANN article it's said that the second OVA aimed to be ready on winter 2014. But Kikstarter project has winter 2015 as final date. And they already got the needed sum but would earn money 29 more days. I wonder would the get more of it and then the second OVA come out really?

If they double their show length then they had to double their production time. The 2014 date was likely pre-KS. The KS version is twice as long so will not be out until 2015.

Kanon 2013-07-09 08:11

There's like zero Japanese among the backers. Gaijins are saving anime.

I'm amazed they managed to reach the goal in only five hours, especially since 150k is no small sum of money. This goes to show how loved LWA was.

Funkatron 2013-07-09 08:40

Wow, that was fast and 29 days to go. I'd love to see this hit at least a million. As of right now, its trending towards 3 million on Kicktraq: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/131...ch-academia-2/

neshru 2013-07-09 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkatron (Post 4753013)
As of right now, its trending towards 3 million on Kicktraq: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/131...ch-academia-2/

I think that's the projected trend with the project making 150+k a day, which of course is not gonna be the case during most days. It will take a while for Kicktraq to become reliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 4752979)
There's like zero Japanese among the backers. Gaijins are saving anime.

From what I understood from the Kick-Heart Kickstarter, using Kickstarter seems to generally be a problem for Japanese people (payment reasons and possibly other reasons).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 4752979)
I'm amazed they managed to reach the goal in only five hours, especially since 150k is no small sum of money.

Well, Kick-Heart made 70k on its first day if I remember correctly. And Kick-Heart is definitely more of a niche project compared to LWA.

Utsuro no Hako 2013-07-09 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachtwandler (Post 4752793)

In ANN article it's said that the second OVA aimed to be ready on winter 2014. But Kikstarter project has winter 2015 as final date.

The timeline they lay out in the proposal makes it clear the production will be next summer:

Quote:

We plan to spend half a year on the scenario, and work on the storyboard and settings during the upcoming spring. We will get started with the actual production in summer and plan to finish by 2014 winter.
So they may mean the actual winter of 2014 (i.e., December) instead of the winter television seasons. The prizes are scheduled to ship in March and April 2015, which is probably how long it'll take to get the blu-rays and artbooks made.

Quote:

And they already got the needed sum but would earn money 29 more days. I wonder would the get more of it and then the second OVA come out really?
They mention in the video that the more money they get, the longer they can make the episode, so $150,000 is just the minimum amount. At the rate they're going, they may end up with enough to do a feature film.

brocko 2013-07-09 11:02

This makes me happy, how the times are changing. :)

MogMoogle1 2013-07-09 11:10

This is super awesome that they were able to reach their goal in just a few hours. Now a stretch goal is expected, and if that means a much longer LWA 2 or a potential series, that would be wonderful!

Miraluka 2013-07-09 11:47

Wait, it wasn't fake news?

lol. My fault.

jcdietz03 2013-07-09 13:10

They need to publish stretch goals before they'll get my money, though, or for that matter much more money period. I found out about it after it was fully funded.