AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is there any realistic anime about martial arts? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93776)

hkBattousai 2010-05-12 00:29

Is there any realistic anime about martial arts?

I'm looking for a decent and realistic anime about martial arts, like Rurouni Kenshin, but not necessary to be about sword techniques.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

james0246 2010-05-12 00:46

Yawara...maybe...

CeDeR 2010-05-12 09:26

lol if you consider Kenshin realistic then Shura no toki...

hkBattousai 2010-05-12 09:49

By "realistic" I mean that the story shouldn't be in a fantastic world. I mean the main character shouldn't fight with monsters, ogres, aliens, etc... The fighting scenes should be between mere human characters, of course like in Rurouni Kenshin, fighting techniques maybe unrealistic or require superhuman strength, that's OK with me.

I prefer animes in which characters have enormous ambition & will power (yabou) to achieve their dreams (yume), and they stand up and continue fighting ("makenai" sytle :)) even after fatal wounds.

woodearth 2010-05-12 10:34

From what I remembered, I believe Sword of the Stranger fits the bill. It is a movie.

Despite Blanka, the street fighter series and movie should fit the bill too. I especially like the first Street Fighter 2 animated movie for its fight choreography.

Vexx 2010-05-12 12:48

For fairly *realistic* sword and fighting play, two series come to mind:
Moribito
Tsukikage Ran ~Carried by the Wind~

Both have some of the most realistic swordplay I've seen in an anime, and by that I mean no "shouting and posturing", lots of fluid animation, the movements match actual technique, no superhuman anything, no BS mystical nonsense. Most fights are short and lethal. Moribito has some interesting extended sequences of pursuit battle.

Moribito does have a supernatural element but that is outside the scope of most of the fighting. Tsukikage Ran is a retelling of the old Edo "wandering Samurai" tales with a mix of comedy and drama.

CeDeR 2010-05-12 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkBattousai (Post 3044996)
By "realistic" I mean that the story shouldn't be in a fantastic world. I mean the main character shouldn't fight with monsters, ogres, aliens, etc... The fighting scenes should be between mere human characters, of course like in Rurouni Kenshin, fighting techniques maybe unrealistic or require superhuman strength, that's OK with me.

I prefer animes in which characters have enormous ambition & will power (yabou) to achieve their dreams (yume), and they stand up and continue fighting ("makenai" sytle :)) even after fatal wounds.

well then Shura no toki fits the bill and Grappler baki.

For the most realistic fighting anime Hajime no ipo both seasons.

hkBattousai 2010-05-12 13:16

Wow, great suggestions out there!
Thank you so much for your suggestion.
I am going to start watching some of them.

By the way, I realized that I already had Hajime no Ippo in my anime archive. It is about boxing, I liked it, I will start watching it.

Thank you again.
I will consider any other suggestions if you guys have.

Albafica 2010-05-12 13:43

You can watch Tough, it's about Free Fight (MMA).

hkBattousai 2010-05-12 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albafica (Post 3045283)
You can watch Tough, it's about Free Fight (MMA).

"Tough" is a very general word, search results give alot of irrelevant things. I found Tough in AnimeNewsNetwork, but couldn't find anything at torrent. I tried searching its original name "Koko Tekken" too, but still no results. I watched its trailer, it is quite good and I don't want to miss it.

woodearth 2010-05-12 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkBattousai (Post 3045308)
"Tough" is a very general word, search results give alot of irrelevant things. I found Tough in AnimeNewsNetwork, but couldn't find anything at torrent. I tried searching its original name "Koko Tekken" too, but still no results. I watched its trailer, it is quite good and I don't want to miss it.

Try "Shootfighter Tekken" per that ANN entry.

Kafriel 2010-05-13 15:55

How about the new shinsengumi anime? I'm fairly sure it's realistic and involves sword fights, but maybe it's just suits for fanservice, haven't had time to look into it.

Haak 2010-05-13 16:13

Given what we've seen so far, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing zombies and demons and suprerhuman strength and healing and other weird shit, so I don't think he'll want that.

I'll second Sword of the Stranger though.

wingdarkness 2010-05-13 17:17

It's an oldy but a goody...Check out Airmaster...What would happen if you took a World Class Olympic gymnast and turned them into an underground street brawler? I know that was enuff to pique your interest...

hkBattousai 2010-05-14 00:02

Thank you guys, I'm downloading Airmaster and Sword of the Stranger.

By the way, I prefer series rather than movies. The longer the better...

wingdarkness 2010-05-14 07:46

Dude this Koko Tekken (Tough) looks awesome, but I'm finding it impossible to find aswell (which is jawdropper for me)...It even seems to be english dubbed....Look (Be patient there's an intro before the Tough scenes begin)...

Hmmm, I'd like to see this...

Guardian Enzo 2010-05-14 16:45

By your definition Peacemaker Kurogane would fit. The manga gets into some pretty odd stuff later on, but starts out strictly real-world and the anime never takes it past that point.

seven|x_x 2010-05-14 20:06

bamboo blade

:V

lixuelai 2010-05-15 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3044594)
Yawara...maybe...

+1. Too bad it is only possible to get 41 episodes with English subs atm. But it is an awesome manga/anime (what else can you expect for Urasawa -.-").