AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Suggestions needed (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6110)

Jump 2004-01-28 22:39

Suggestions needed

Here is the anime I have. I am downloading almost constantly so there is a lot I haven't watched (mostly the newer series) so I will list what I have downloaded, and of the stuff I have watched, what I liked and didn't like.

Incredible:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gunslinger Girl
Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari (hundred stories)
One Piece
Haibane Renemi
Hajime no Ippo
Kimi Ga Nozomu Ein

Enjoyed:
Diamond Dust Drops
Gilgamesh
Maburaho
Naruto
Peace Maker Kurogane
PLANETES
Saigakue!! Cromartie High
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Prince of Tennis
Hikaru no Go
Popotan
Scrapped Princess
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Great Teacher Onizuka (Live Action)
King of Bandits, Jing
Chobits

Not really enjoy:
Daphne in the Brillant Blue
Slam Dunk!
Yumeria
Boogiepop Phantom and Others
Onegai Twins
Angelic Layer
Orochuban Ebichu

Did not like at all:
Eiken
Ikkitousen

Have not watched yet, but downloaded and up to date with:
Kanon
Ayatsuri Sakon
Cosmopolitan Prayers
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Massugu ni Ikou
Mezzo DSA
Mujin Wakusei Survive (Unhabited Planet Survive)
Doraemon

I know it's a huge list. I'm not picky about what kind of anime I watch, as you can see. However as for preferences, I will say what I prefer. I like dark anime like Berserk, but I am full aware that there isn't anything that comes close to it. I also love adventure type like One Piece. A tragedy romance like Kimi ga Nozomu Ein would be nice. But a happy one is okay too. I'm not too much into fanservice as you can see. But that doesn't mean I will be turned off the show if it has it along with a good story.

Anyway just tell me what you guys think is good anime and explain a little about the show so I know what to download next. All I have left to download is Kanon then I'd have run out of stuff to download.

Thanks a lot in advance.

babbito2k 2004-01-29 00:04

Huge list?! dream on... these were all made in the last 5 years it seems. Not that I want to upbraid you or anything, it's great that you are enjoying it so much. But "you are a thousand years too early" as they say...

Action titles seem to be popular with you. You seem to be starting to get interested in romance and game-based anime (kind of the same but not quite). To find "romance" or "action" titles just do a search in the suggestions forum (the one this thread is in), tons of people have already asked for those. There are threads on funny anime, maybe you want to see some comedy. Do a search for "gothic," I used that word in a thread about stuff like Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari.

Watch Narutaru if you want punch-in-the-stomach dark; there is a thread in "fansubs" where people talk about just how bad it made them feel, no joke. There's a thread in "suggestions" called depression, lot of tragic stuff there.

People already typed tons of lists and stuff in those threads so check them out. If you don't get what the gist of a show is try googling the titles for reviews, or check in "fansubs." Some people blab about the plots in "fansubs" though, so you shouldn't read too far.

Watch Maria-sama, that's a bit different from these other titles. Start downloading Gokusen, at least try the first ep. There are threads in "fansubs" talking about both those shows. Look at the thread about magical girls anime, you haven't seen any from what I can tell.

Last suggestion: You didn't download old stuff like Miyuki or Yawara! One is a romance, the other is a sports romance. Try old stuff, it's the only way to get a truly huge list ^_~

NoSanninWa 2004-01-29 00:10

• Condor Hero - Think of the best Hong Kong martial arts movie that you've ever seen. This is strong on characterization and drama with some really kick-ass fights thrown in for good measure. If I was going to liken it to anything in particular I would say that it most resembles "Crouching Tiger, Hiden Dragon."
  • Princess Tutu - This is a unique and thoughtful show about fairy tales. It seems sweet and innocent on the outside, but the inside is very dark and rich and deep. Don't let the surface fool you! Note that you have to give this show a few episodes to develop or you might actually think it is simple and uncomplicated, but then the true plot develops...
  • Tenshi na Konamaiki - Some serious gender wierdness, but strangely this isn't a wierd show. This is a romantic comedy whose theme is exploring the underlying differences between men and women. This is fun and romantic and sometimes very insightful. Definetly not a harem show! :D
  • Mermaid's Forest: A dark and twisted tale about the evils that men might do in quest for immortality. Just when you think you've seen the worst, you'll discover that there are depths yet to be plumbed. This is seriously messed up. Curiously, it is by Rumiko Takahashi, the creator of Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Inu-Yasha and others. It proves that she can create something very serious and deep when she tries.
Every one of these shows is unique and extraudinary. Please enjoy them.

sothis 2004-01-29 00:58

if you end up watching mermaid's forest, i highly recommend first checking out Mermaid Forest OVA (the original) and Mermaid's Scar... then you'll appreciate the tv series that much more, since it goes into more depth.

corp20 2004-01-29 01:21

Narutaru, Chrno Crusade, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, 100 stories (I only watched it up to 3 eps so I'm not too sure how good it is, but give it a try),Da Capo, Green Green (not the OVA, I hear that its bad), and thats about it. Most of these I thought was good. Hey when I catch up with my anime I need to start one of these thread. ;)
EDIT: Oh my God!!!! I almost forgot Shingetsutan Tsukihime!!!! I need to be smacked!!!

Jump 2004-01-29 01:31

Eh, wasnt trying to show off. I don't really care if it's huge or not. Just my way of apologizing for making people read through 40ish titles just to recommend some anime to me.

As much as I'd like to watch some of the older classics, I don't know which ones are old and worth downloading. I mostly picked things that seemed interesting by random off the Series list.

Condor Hero, Tutu and Mermaid's Forest seem interesting. I'll check out Myiyuki and Yawara. How new or old the series is doesn't matter to me, I'll download whatever seems interesting. It's just easier to find information on newer series than it is old. So if you want to recommend good old anime, that'd be great too.

It's not that Action is popular with me, or that I just am getting into Romance, but rather by chance that I found more Action and recently found some Romance. I don't look for specific types of anime, I just look for whatever looks interesting. I like a good romance just as much as I like a good adventure, action, drama, gothic, sports, or whatever anime.

Thanks for the suggestions ^_^