AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Maken-Ki [manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=63117)

LCeh 2008-03-01 19:49

Maken-Ki [manga]

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7854/001002ys0.jpg

Mangaka: Hiromitsu Takeda

Art looks great. Reminds me of Mx0, with the magic and stuff, plus the fact that the male character doesn't have any real magic abilities either, except this series has a lot more of a combat theme in it, with duels and stuff.

Looks like it's going to be a fun ride, so far I have been able to find 5 chapters.

Westlo 2008-05-31 18:58

Just read the first 3 chapters and this looks like being alright, Haruko ftw!

frubam 2008-05-31 20:05

First let me say this: recently I've been REALLY annoyed by the weak male archetype, particularly after trying to read Girl Saurus. I don't mind a char being weak or a coward, as long as he has SOME characteristic that makes him strong(strong mind, sophisticatied, physically gifted, martial arts skills, whatever). That said, I hope Takeru(the main male char) becomes worthy enough for the affection he's getting, because right now, he just sucks :\ . I've only read the first 2 chapters, so its still to early, but that's just my initial impression of him.

Anyway, I was reminded of Mx0 as well, as it felt like the same formula of a magic school was being used. Art and story are good. The anger/hatred that Kodama has for Takeru keeps me interested enough to wait for the next chap. Also, is Inaho(the girl with the Sharingan symbol)
Spoiler:

Irenicus 2008-05-31 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by frubam (Post 1626104)
First let me say this: recently I've been REALLY annoyed by the weak male archetype, particularly after trying to read Girl Saurus. I don't mind a char being weak or a coward, as long as he has SOME characteristic that makes him strong(strong mind, sophisticatied, physically gifted, martial arts skills, whatever). That said, I hope the main male char becomes worthy enough for the affection he's getting, because right now, he just sucks :\ . I've only read the first 2 chapters, so its still to early, but that's just my initial impression of him.

My sentiments exactly. I like the girls (well...), but you know what, I'm dropping this until somebody tells me he'll change for the better sooner rather than later.

That fucking wimp just ruins any potential the story has for me. Potential drama? Not unless I care for the characters, especially the main guy. Potential comedy? It lost its charm since Keitaro Urashima got married years ago. Potential action? He's a wimp!

Though by the way, I think Girl Saurus is an intentional parody of the genre rather than an example of what's wrong with it. ;)

technomo12 2008-06-01 06:09

read it liked it a bit still i get the feeling this might become good or bad

it is on a 50-50 verge

vio5555 2008-06-01 08:54

He'll become as much "of a man" as his character type can become by chapter 5 I'd say.

He's probably going to try to protect women since he is the "women shouldn't fight"-type of guy...

If you're not into that, I'd say skip this one since it seems as if he jumps into fights and helps girls with whatever powers he's developing, but I guess we don't know how far it will go...

ZODDGUTS 2008-06-01 09:17

So far it's decent hopefully I'll get better though something about it seems a bit offputting maybe it's because of Takeru's character? Also hate characters like that one girl that is all lovely dovey with Haruko-nee god I hate characters like her that is all glingy and shit also pushing the main character away while protecting her loved one from males because she wants to keep her to herself ugh. The whole marriage thing is annoying as well of that one girl doens't take much of a guess that she had known Takeru when children that promised each other to get married, Takeru will suddenly remember all that and their promise. :rolleyes:

Actually now that I think about it I'm sure the reason I found the first 3 chapters off putting is because not much of this series is original lots of cliches to be found, nice art though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irenicus (Post 1626111)
My sentiments exactly. I like the girls (well...), but you know what, I'm dropping this until somebody tells me he'll change for the better sooner rather than later.

That fucking wimp just ruins any potential the story has for me. Potential drama? Not unless I care for the characters, especially the main guy. Potential comedy? It lost its charm since Keitaro Urashima got married years ago. Potential action? He's a wimp!

Same here don't like wimpy characters though I think Takeru will change but for now I gotta deal with him with the way he currently is. I wouldn't mind a character like Koushi Inuzuka from Sumomomo Momomo at least he's an interesting wimp since he uses he's smarts to "beat" he's opponents and the comedy around him was funny not much in this series though just fanservice and the typical gets beaten by girls in each chapter as supposed "comedy" yawn... Anyways hope I'll improve.

technomo12 2008-06-01 12:04

still i am kinda sick of fist weak and then strong protagonist type but hey at least the comedy and fanservice is goooooooood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heh:

Julao 2008-06-21 22:07

I'm starting to like this series more and more especially chapter 5, where the Takeru X Kodama relationship was slowly developing......... ^_^

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3...xkodamasb3.jpg

anyways he is weak at first glance but if you hurt his loved ones, he is very strong just like his attack.................BLOOD POINTER!!!!!!!!!! XD

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4...uownageax7.jpg

frubam 2008-06-21 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julao (Post 1668989)
I'm starting to like this series more and more especially chapter 5, where the Takeru X Kodama relationship was slowly developing......... ^_^

anyways he is weak at first glance but if you hurt his loved ones, he is very strong just like his attack.................BLOOD POINTER!!!!!!!!!! XD

Looks good, but I'm still gonna wait until it gets to about chp 8 or 9 before I continue reading it, to give it a chance to get some momentum.

Dingo 2008-06-22 14:47

This manga is an abomination :) And I seriously doubt it'll get any better.

excelence 2008-06-22 21:36

err yeah still got that feeling... but the art was good :heh:

Newprimus 2008-06-22 23:59

Main character has a weird bit of emotional baggage with his mom from the past and with being over-protective of girls. We'll see.

Dingo 2008-06-23 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by excelence (Post 1671558)
err yeah still got that feeling... but the art was good :heh:

Ah yes we find ourselves agreeing, the ecchi was really good, I'll probably keep reading because of it :heh: not.

TrueKnight 2008-06-23 12:06

Art is good and the girls are nicely drawn. Story is average so far. But this is one of the better harem series with good arts I'm currently following along with Ashita No Yoichi. I wonder if Freezing could be categorized as one of these?

Oops, forgot to add Sekirei eventhough the male lead aren't as good as the above.

Jhono1 2008-06-23 16:32

Art is nice, if way to messy for my personal taste, the girls are all great looking so far, no complaints in that departement. The protagonist does seem to be a bit on the weak side, which is one of the crappiest clichés out there. He does try to take advantage of the "ecci" situations that he gets in though, which is a big big plus. :p
Couldent care less for the so called fighting, or the story up to chapter 6 so far.

As someone above me said, worth to keep reading if you like ecci.

Sin Ansem 2008-06-23 20:03

I'm more irate that, after her rather epic entrance, cute Inaho has not had much character development. :/

I'm dropping this if she doesn't get any justice, weakling male protagonist be damned.

excelence 2008-06-23 20:55

she'll got her time ... it's that type of manga anyway :heh:

and btw Minato is the exact opposite of Takeru in my pov

technomo12 2008-06-24 10:26

^

you may have a point there ehhehe

frubam 2008-08-14 20:53

As I said before, I was gonna let a few chapters go by before I continued reading it. Bored, I decided that this was as good of time as any. First, I wanna say that I don't like romanization of regular words like here:

How the HELL am I supposed to know what that means? Though I have watched/listened to enough anime to know what it means, it's REALLY irritating to see this from Hidoi, esp after knowing of their inaccuracies s_b pointed out in the Index manga. Well, enough of this rant.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin Ansem (Post 1674110)
I'm more irate that, after her rather epic entrance, cute Inaho has not had much character development. :/

I'm dropping this if she doesn't get any justice, weakling male protagonist be damned.

Well chapter 7 does focus on her a little bit.
Spoiler for chap 7:
All in all, it's getting a bit better. Because of Takeru's hidden ability, he's become far less annoying that I thought of him in the first 2 chapters. Plus, the ecchi moments give it a little fun as well. With him joining the Maken-ki? I have a feeling its really gonna start pulsing with Mx0 vibes.