AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sad news for Sushi lovers (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=74753)

wontaek 2008-11-29 10:25

Sad news for Sushi lovers

There is a danger that Bluefin Tuna might become extinct within 10 years. I can't predict what will happen except that it is almost certain that we will see less tuna among the sushi sets.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...0.html?cnn=yes

Personally, I am planning to abstain from ALL tuna for next 3 years. All tuna since it is easier to get the message across this way instead of selectively target bluefin as many people don't distinguish them much. I'm going to miss my Tuna Ramen special.

Shadow Kira01 2008-11-29 10:37

You know.. Sushi isn't all about bluefin tuna, there are all sorts of seafood varieties. My favorite is the sea urchin. And I doubt that will go extinct anytime soon. (^_^)

AceD 2008-11-29 10:38

o how depressing, a world without tuna...whatever will i do

i definitely cant move on from this

though seriously, theres more tuna that just that fish you said isnt there...

Quarkboy 2008-11-29 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by wontaek (Post 2079760)
There is a danger that Bluefin Tuna might become extinct within 10 years. I can't predict what will happen except that it is almost certain that we will see less tuna among the sushi sets.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...0.html?cnn=yes

Personally, I am planning to abstain from ALL tuna for next 3 years. All tuna since it is easier to get the message across this way instead of selectively target bluefin as many people don't distinguish them much. I'm going to miss my Tuna Ramen special.

I'm sure the Japanese government has already completely sequenced the blue-fin's DNA and has developed artificial farming techniques already.

The only reason they aren't revealing it is to artificially keep the price of good Toro high to satisfy the sushi lobby.

Fact is, my favorite is binchou anyway :)

vVReinaVv 2008-11-29 16:19

Hm, tuna is the only type of seafood I don't like (aside from squid and octopus).

ganbaru 2008-11-29 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarkboy (Post 2080137)
I'm sure the Japanese government has already completely sequenced the blue-fin's DNA and has developed artificial farming techniques already.

The only reason they aren't revealing it is to artificially keep the price of good Toro high to satisfy the sushi lobby.

Fact is, my favorite is binchou anyway :)

The problem with artificial farming is than the fishs usually have a higher level or mercury than wild fish.
( At least with salmon)

Sides 2008-11-29 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow (Post 2079776)
o how depressing, a world without tuna...whatever will i do

i definitely cant move on from this

though seriously, theres more tuna that just that fish you said isnt there...

We still have dolphins, hmm... lecker ^^
I always wonder, do we, world population, actually eat that much fish or are we over-fishing alot and most of them ends up in the bins.

Tri-ring 2008-11-29 18:21

This is rather old news but,

Full tuna cultivation draws attention

The depletion and conservation of tuna resources are a global concern. At a joint conference in Kobe, the world's five tuna resource management organizations adopted an action guideline on Jan. 26 in a bid to restore the shrinking tuna community. Subsequently, it was agreed at a meeting of the International Commission for Conservation of Atlantic Tunas(ICCAT) held in Tokyo later to reduce the fishing quotas for East Atlantic bluefin tuna of Japan and other major tuna-consuming nations by 23.2% over the next four years.
While the sustained use of tuna resources is being threatened, attention has been drawn to the'complete cultivation'of bluefin tuna in which Kinki University's Fisheries Laboratory succeeded for the first time in the world in 2002. Complete cultivation refers to the technology to complete the cycle of artificially hatched fish being bred, reaching adulthood and spawning eggs. Its damage on tuna resources is lighter than tuna farming, which requires the harvesting of baby fish.
In an effort to put the technology into business, Kinki University has established a venture business, shipping tuna to a well-known Tokyo department store at the rate of one fish a month. It will also participate in the Japan International Seafood & Technology Expo in Osaka (Feb. 21-22) to introduce the fish to people in the fishery and restaurant industries. It also plans to sell the technology to tuna farmers in Australia, the Mediterranean and Mexico.

For inquiries, please contact Fisheries Laboratory of Kinki University (Tel: 0739-42-2625) URL: http://www.za.ztv.ne.jp/vm4k4stx/index.html

Shipment of the fry for cultivation of completely cultured bluefin tuna - the world's first achievement

Xellos-_^ 2008-11-29 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganbaru (Post 2080230)
The problem with artificial farming is than the fishs usually have a higher level or mercury than wild fish.
( At least with salmon)

i think that has more to do with the farming technique then the fish itself.

eventually the world is going to have to stop fishing for awhile for the ocean to recover itself. During the turn of the century a fishing boat can catch more fish in a hour then you can currently in a whole week. overfishing have depleted the world's fishing stock to dangerously low levels. People are going to have to deal with Farm Fish then wild fish if the world is going to have any kind of a fishing industry in a 100 year.

AceD 2008-11-29 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sides (Post 2080358)
We still have dolphins, hmm... lecker ^^
I always wonder, do we, world population, actually eat that much fish or are we over-fishing alot and most of them ends up in the bins.

well been british, you should know how much cod we go through :p

Tri-ring 2008-11-29 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sides (Post 2080358)

The reality is large scale organic farming is one of the factors in overfishing.
Dried fish flakes have always been used as organic fertilizer. It has also been used for animal feed.
Direct consumption by man is but a small portion of a more larger consumption system.

Reckoner 2008-11-29 20:37

Maybe they should go extinct to make overfishing a reality for all those people who don't seem to give a S#*% about their world.

And this is coming from a man who loves his sushi.

Shadow Kira01 2008-11-29 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-ring (Post 2080533)
The reality is large scale organic farming is one of the factors in overfishing.
Dried fish flakes have always been used as organic fertilizer. It has also been used for animal feed.
Direct consumption by man is but a small portion of a more larger consumption system.

What a waste of good food! :(