AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What do you name your characters in RPGs? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=83620)

gunshottrigun 2009-07-06 15:32

What do you name your characters in RPGs?

I personally stick with the default names, and if no default name is given I'll use my name for the main character and names of anime characters resembling the game characters.

How about everyone else?

RWBladewing 2009-07-06 15:55

In MMOs or other games where there is no default name I usually name them after fairly obscure anime characters (Bartley from Code Geass, Zarlish from Tytania, etc.) or use the name I am using here.

Otherwise I usually leave them as the default. I like preserving the continuity of the story and changing names kinda ruins that for me. It's also pretty pointless doing it in games with voiced dialog since they refer to them by their default name anyway. I do change this up occasionally but rarely.

Keroko 2009-07-07 03:47

Keroko is often the first name I claim, but after that I generally grab a map of Star Wars planets and fiddle with the planet names until I get something that suits me. For example, Keroko Georashi uses the "ke" of Kegan, the "roko" ended up as a result of playing with the first syllable of Korriban, and "Georashi" is a twist of the planet Geonosis.

Other times I just get lazy and start stealing names from anime.

Daniel E. 2009-07-07 04:08

Back in the old days, I often used my own name; Though, there were times when there wasn't enough space to write Daniel, so I had to short it up to Dan. :p

EDIT:

Oh, and I can't pick any choice from the poll. Nowdays, I pretty much go back and fort between the first three options.

EDIT 2:

Oh lol, you can actually pick all three. :meh:

Cipher 2009-07-07 04:10

I use my favorite characters' names. But the default names are usually cool, so often stick with that.

Fujikira 2009-07-07 04:12

I mostly go for default (Rune Factory, Dragon Quest, etc.), but for other games like the Shin Megami Tensei titles I name them all by there canonical names (Excluding Devil Survivor however.)

Kafriel 2009-07-07 05:09

In MMOs it's kafriel so that people who know me from other MMOs can tell (and so that nobody impersonates my ass xD), in normal games it's something corresponding to the character: for shin megami tensei I have a whole list of demons, in FFs I either name the summons after pokemon and the characters after the villains, so that I can get some fun dialogues towards the end or use names of previous FF characters, in other games it's mainly stuff I come up with based on my experience of forgotten realms.

Throne Invader 2009-07-07 05:17

I personally think my name Candice is cute and I like it but it doesn't seem to be fit for those rpg games. Usually I'd name RPG characters after fictional characters. I almost never just leave the name by default. I prefer to add flavor :p I usually go with the name Darcy/Darcie.

Kusa-San 2009-07-07 05:30

I use the default name and if there is no default name my pseudo :)

Ichihara Asako 2009-07-07 06:30

All sorts of names. Depends on the game, the character race, class and generally whatever I feel like at the time. I don't tend to take names from known places though. Rarely ever name characters after some other one, whether a favourite character or whatever; I have more imagination than that, and find it disappointing seeing so many generic names (Legolas archer/ranger types, Drizzt rogues etc.) in games I play.

Keroko 2009-07-07 07:01

I remember playing Final Fantasy VI and re-naming all the characters to Lord of the Rings characters once. It made no sense, but it sure was funny. :p

RWBladewing 2009-07-07 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako (Post 2497858)
and find it disappointing seeing so many generic names (Legolas archer/ranger types, Drizzt rogues etc.) in games I play.

These are good for one thing though: they're usually a pretty clear warning sign that the player is terrible and you should avoid them. Saves you the trouble of finding out the hard way. Although I do have fond memories of Darkdrizzt the night elf hunter asking me for ammo for his weapon and food for his pet in the middle of a dungeon.

As I mentioned most of my names are not original but I don't use popular or generic ones. I had multiple people in my old guild who had seen Code Geass and not one of them knew who Bartley was.

C.A. 2009-07-07 07:20

I use default names if they're available.

But in all my FFVII replays, I renamed Red XIII to Nanaki, he said 'I'm Nanaki, also known as Nanaki" after that.

If there's no default names, my characters are named C.A. for guys and Caring for girls.

Duo Maxwell 2009-07-07 07:45

Default name for me. If I had to name it, that would be Duo Maxwell, or one of the Touhou girls :heh:.

Shiroth 2009-07-07 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 2497893)
I remember playing Final Fantasy VI and re-naming all the characters to Lord of the Rings characters once. It made no sense, but it sure was funny. :p

That's pretty awesome. :p

For my first play i just use the default character names, though on reply i go with Shiro. For girls i usually use something along the lines of Shiko.

izmosmolnar 2009-07-07 08:18

If it's a solo character RPG, I use the names I used to use in Diablo2. If it's like a squad RPG (UFO Series for example) or a game with even more characters, then I rename them after their desired role (Medic1, SquadLeader, HeavyWeaponry2 etc).

Kafriel 2009-07-07 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWBladewing (Post 2497903)
These are good for one thing though: they're usually a pretty clear warning sign that the player is terrible and you should avoid them. Saves you the trouble of finding out the hard way. Although I do have fond memories of Darkdrizzt the night elf hunter asking me for ammo for his weapon and food for his pet in the middle of a dungeon.

As I mentioned most of my names are not original but I don't use popular or generic ones. I had multiple people in my old guild who had seen Code Geass and not one of them knew who Bartley was.

Speaking of which, I don't wanna sounds like a noob, I've seen both GEASS, but...who's Bartley?

Shiroth 2009-07-07 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 2497985)
Speaking of which, I don't wanna sounds like a noob, I've seen both GEASS, but...who's Bartley?

Bartley is the bald character who worked under Clovis, and later along side Jeremiah.

RWBladewing 2009-07-07 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 2498019)
Bartley is the bald character who worked under Clovis, and later along side Jeremiah.

Yeah, him. The fat ugly bald guy in Geass translated pretty well to a fat ugly bald dwarf in WoW. Well, until I gave him an emo combover haircut to make him even uglier anyway...

gigaloki 2009-07-07 14:42

i vote for anime char names xD.. specially those who resembles the character im playing with haha