AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A section devoted to light novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=77530)

Imagine_broken536 2009-01-30 03:21

A section devoted to light novels

I thought it would be nice if there's going to be a section devoted to light novels under the anime related topics... Just a suggestion though. n_n

Vexx 2009-01-30 03:34

So far, most of the light novels people have been interested in were for series that had their own subforums (Haruhi, Spice&Wolf, Toradora, etc).

And there are a few threads in the Manga subforum that are actually light novel series I think.

But I agree that adding a Light Novel subforum should be considered eventually since there are a growing number of titles both licensed and fan-translated starting to float around in the market.

Ash Falls Town 2009-01-30 03:47

Quote:

Forum for discussing manga and light novels related topics.
Well according to this the Manga subforum description that's where light novel discussion should go. Do you really need an entire new section just because you're reading something with less pictures?

ken_FF 2009-01-30 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2188794)
So far, most of the light novels people have been interested in were for series that had their own subforums (Haruhi, Spice&Wolf, Toradora, etc.)

There are many light novel titles that does not been animated or even turned into a manga. So, posting those kind of titles under the manga section would be out of place.

felix 2009-01-30 04:43

How about renaming the current Manga section to Manga & Novels.

Solace 2009-01-31 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats (Post 2188848)
How about renaming the current Manga section to Manga & Novels.

Not a bad suggestion, though I do wish to point out that the forum does have this text under its name:

Quote:

Forum for discussing manga and light novels related topics.
I've also noticed an increase in translated manhwa lately. Perhaps the forum could use a more encompassing rename?

ganbaru 2009-01-31 13:12

For now, I would think tab it woud be better to rename the Manga sub-forum.
We don't have enough novel treat not already affiliate with a sub-forum ( ex Haruhi, Toradora etc) for necessiting a Novel Sub-form.

Vexx 2009-02-02 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_FF (Post 2188815)
There are many light novel titles that does not been animated or even turned into a manga. So, posting those kind of titles under the manga section would be out of place.

This is primarily an english language based forum - if no one is translating the novel, then its a bit hard to justify a thread for it. The number of light novels being fan-translated or license-translated into english is relatively small.

However, one thing I'd want in a light novel subforum though is a thread devoted to pointing out novels that might be worth reading in japanese or translating into english, though :)

In the meantime, renaming the "dead tree" format subforum is probably the easiest course for the site administrators.

ganbaru 2009-02-16 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2193759)
However, one thing I'd want in a light novel subforum though is a thread devoted to pointing out novels that might be worth reading in japanese or translating into english, though :)

It's a good idea, but why waitting a hypothetic light novel subforum ?
Someone could start such thread in the manga sub-forum, no?

Imagine_broken536 2009-02-17 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganbaru (Post 2220617)
It's a good idea, but why waitting a hypothetic light novel subforum ?
Someone could start such thread in the manga sub-forum, no?

You've got a point. I'm going to create a Light Novel recommendations sub-forum right away. n_n

Tri-ring 2009-02-23 03:52

It's increasingly difficult to navigate since there are some titles for both Manga and light novel. Making the situation worse is that spin-offs can go both ways where manga is first with a light novel spin-off or visa versa.
In some cases I notice that manga and light novel is discussed in the same thread because it is under the same franchise making it further difficult to read through.

Vexx 2009-02-23 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine_broken536 (Post 2221946)
You've got a point. I'm going to create a Light Novel recommendations sub-forum right away. n_n

Except you're not a moderator... you can't create a subforum, only a thread within certain subforums. So you actually meant a *thread* (which I see you've done).

I agree with tri-ring ... as we get more and more "light novel"also"manga" combos - its going to get more difficult to sort discussion as well unless there's a standardized protocol for naming threads (-> Karin (light novel) and Karin (manga) as one particular example). That seems more cumbersome and prone to error than having just two subforums.

As no moderators have commented, I guess I'll poke a few and see what they say.

NightWish 2009-02-23 07:21

Right now I would prefer to add a user accessible thread prefix set (like naming but a little less prone to error), that identifies which dead-tree format the thread is about, because I the volume of threads still doesn't justify a whole forum in my opinion. If it doesn't work too well or we decide a new forum sub-forum is required, the threads can be moved on-mass later.

Vexx 2009-02-26 00:26

Sounds lovely... :)

Claies 2009-02-26 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-ring (Post 2233259)
It's increasingly difficult to navigate since there are some titles for both Manga and light novel. Making the situation worse is that spin-offs can go both ways where manga is first with a light novel spin-off or visa versa.
In some cases I notice that manga and light novel is discussed in the same thread because it is under the same franchise making it further difficult to read through.

I'm beginning to wonder if all threads should be named after series, and then tags can be put on denoting what formats it can be found in. Granted, it would make the entire forum look like hundreds of subforums (see fanfiction.net), which would be disastrous for navigation.

Generally, I think if a series had a spin-off thread it should be immediately merged into the originator thread and kept like that. Whichever format had a thread first would become the only destination for the series - and if people argue, you can always just move the entire thread to the "proper" section.

felix 2009-02-26 06:24

A Series-Tag can be created, the tag then used in the name of a series prefix and the thread title can be the format of the incarnation (in other words completly backwards to what was suggested above).

Example

Manga section:
Some Series: Light Novel
Some Series: Manga

Fansubbed/Unaired/Licensed section:
Some Series: Tv (2009)
Some Series: Tv Season 2 (2009)
Some Series: OVA (2009)
Some Series: Lalalala-some-season-name (2010)

Games section:
Some Series: PS3 Game
Some Series: PC Game

Fan Creation:
Some Series: Image Thread
Some Series: Avatar Requests

This system would be a little bit better then actually having novel:, manga: because:
  • Not all series need a seperate manga/novel thread, those that do usually require even more threads but true sometimes the discussion of each individual incarnation wont be sustained at the same time. Something like the novel is popular now, the manga 1 year later, then the game comes out some time after.

• It makes for less prefixes, all be it the above system is a little bit more complicated then the usual system.

Matt122005 2009-02-28 01:54

Well, we have enough topics to fill 2 pages worth of a LIGHT NOVEL sub-forum.

I for one would LOVE if AnimeSuki would have one. Cause honestly, as Kagami from Lucky Star would put it, the two are completely different from eachother, and thus I think they should have their own section.

I realize that there aren't alot of threads, but I certainly would love to be able to go to a specific place to chat about light novels, and not be bothered by manga discussions.

-Matt

Imagine_broken536 2009-03-01 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2233268)
Except you're not a moderator... you can't create a subforum, only a thread within certain subforums. So you actually meant a *thread* (which I see you've done)

I stand corrected...thanks. :heh: