AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Past Macross Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Let's Re-Watch Macross Frontier (TV) Together! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=98259)

Yot-chan 2010-10-23 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 3311330)
I dare to think what Yot-chan is going to do when we come across an episode that has no Nanase. :heh:

That's when I'll recount what happens to Nanase in the CD dramas and comics and such.

BetoJR 2010-10-23 08:57

But of course.

:heh:

DragoZERO 2010-10-23 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuskn (Post 3311045)
No spoiler caps necessary, DragoZERO. :)

Didn't know how long my post was going to be so I was preemptive and went to save space.

Quote:

You don't die immediately from decompression, as far as I know.
Meh...guess there is no real way of knowing.

Quote:

07:08 – Really, Kawamori? Did we really need an “accidental breast grab” scene here?
Didn't look like he grabbed much of anything.

Quote:

08:30 – Man, I didn’t notice before that the early THORA episodes had so many translation snafus. “Vajula”? “Zentrant”? Eh, I still like their phrasing otherwise. :p
They really should have fixed those. Lazy.

Quote:

19:05 – And thus Ozma began the proud tradition of Alto getting punched/slapped in the face. :D
I have to say, that was uncalled for an unnecessary. Especially since Ozma was thinking the same thing somewhere in his head.

Quote:

21:00 - The whole scene of Ranka singing Diamond Crevasse and Sheryl joining in, while the SMS guys and the Vajra fly towards each other, is really well done.
Why did she start singing anyway? Felt misplaced to me. They are forcing the plot too much here.

Quote:

21:30 – Okay, why exactly do the security guys at SMS throw Alto out on the street, when Ozma tells them to put him into the “safe area”? Tsk. Oh, well, destiny and plot requirements, I guess.
Forcing the plot too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 3311173)
Alto: Hime has issues. Still he's a pretty decent protagonist.
Sheryl: Has hot lingerie. Wouldn't mind seeing more.
Ranka: This. Also we share the same surname, which is awesome.
Ozma: OZMA PUNCH. Keep up the Fire Bomber. Also i'm surprised he hasn't died yet.
Luca: Doesn't want any candy. :(
Michael: Oh he's a sniper. Should have seen that coming.
Cathy: She can take my blood anytime.
Bridge Bunnies: They're adorable.

Alto: Pansy, why are you running away while she is asking your name?
Ranka: How do you move your hair?
Sheryl: Your bedroom is paradise.
Ozma: Your animators got lazy pal, sorry.
Luca: You need something to wipe your cheeks with?
Michael: You're missing a lens.
Cathy: Scold me please.

Quote:

Sheryl being frustrated because she can't find the ear ring while throwing clothes all around the room is moe.
Moe is cute, right? Cause that's all I am figuring out here. It's just extreme cuteness, right?

Shiroth 2010-10-23 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3311482)
Moe is cute, right? Cause that's all I am figuring out here. It's just extreme cuteness, right?

Like i said before, that's how i've been using the word for many years, and it's never failed me. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3311482)
Meh...guess there is no real way of knowing.

In most mecha related forms of media i've seen, people haven't died straight way when it comes to appearing in space like that. I mean holding their breath/closing their eyes, and then being saved a few seconds after has 99% of the time happened.

Dop 2010-10-23 15:55

So... taking up where we left off, as Alto runs out of ammo and Ozma comes to save Ranka, using the fine old Macross tradition of never shooting one missile when a couple of dozen will do.

More property damage is caused as Alto blows out all the windows in the side of a building, and Ranka has an unscheduled spacewalk.

Now, if The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy taught me anything, it's that you can survive for up to 30 seconds in space, but your odds of being rescued are an outdated reference to London telephone numbers.
But then Ranka is a quarter Zentradi, and as we've seen in the original Macross, for a full blown Zentradi a walk on the outside of a spaceship is no big deal, so a few seconds in an outgassing cloud shouldn't be much of a problem.

DragoZERO: The reason Alto is running away when Ranka asks his name is because he doesn't want her to see him throw up...

Sheryl is messy, throwing her underwear all over the place - guess someone has to tidy it up. Form an orderly queue please.

When I started watching this series originally, I was a total Macross virgin, so I didn't realise the significance of Ozma's music taste. I was more taken with his car. How did a Lancia survive that long? Since then of course I've seen the original series and Macross 7. Totsugeki Love Heart! Yeah! RAWK!
(Mention of Macross 7 reminds me that Magnuskn is impressed by how they control their valkyries with throttle, stick and pedals. I always wondered how the hell Nekki Basara could fly when his controls were basically a guitar neck)

Sheryl has a much better sense for disguise than Clark Kent. She has the big floppy hat AS WELL as the glasses!

Next week: Ranka gets her buns out!

Shiroth 2010-10-23 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dop (Post 3311854)
(Mention of Macross 7 reminds me that Magnuskn is impressed by how they control their valkyries with throttle, stick and pedals. I always wondered how the hell Nekki Basara could fly when his controls were basically a guitar neck)

Basara always had his burning hot spirit, which helps when it comes to piloting such a Valkyrie. :p

DragoZERO 2010-10-23 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 3311497)
In most mecha related forms of media i've seen, people haven't died straight way when it comes to appearing in space like that. I mean holding their breath/closing their eyes, and then being saved a few seconds after has 99% of the time happened.

I suppose that is true. We need to get some of those guys on death row and find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dop (Post 3311854)
DragoZERO: The reason Alto is running away when Ranka asks his name is because he doesn't want her to see him throw up...

He didn't have the throw up feeling then. He should tell her his name and he should cut his damn hair. He's a...

magnuskn 2010-10-23 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3311941)
He didn't have the throw up feeling then. He should tell her his name and he should cut his damn hair. He's a...

Quite honestly, he just realized at that point that he and Ranka were only alive, because someone else died for them, and specifically for him, Alto. That's quite enough of an excuse to have a "moment", so to say.

DragoZERO 2010-10-23 17:54

Yeah, I know why he did it and all...it just came off bad for me. I think it would have been better if he had at least said good bye instead of just running off like that.

On a side note, I am loving how the episode titles. I really like when they hold double meanings.

Yot-chan 2010-10-23 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3310632)
And once again...how did they survive going into space like that?

You forget that Ranka is one-quarter Zentradi, and as we saw from the original Macross, Zentradi can survive in a vacuum for a short period.

Anyway, what happens if you get thrown into a vacuum is pretty well known. First, all the oxygen is sucked out of your lungs, and then oxygen starts getting fed to your lungs from your blood (which of course is also sucked out into space) and you pass out pretty quickly. And soon after that, you die.

DragoZERO 2010-10-23 18:47

It's called decompression sickness. You can get that while scuba diving and that's why they did a check up with blood tests.

Yot-chan 2010-10-23 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3312034)
It's called decompression sickness. You can get that while scuba diving and that's why they did a check up with blood tests.

Wait a sec...why did you ask, if you already knew the answer...?

DragoZERO 2010-10-23 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yot-chan (Post 3312041)
Wait a sec...why did you ask, if you already knew the answer...?

I'm a real buster sometimes. :D

The other day I was turning into my driveway and I saw the car behind me get ready to pass me as I did it, so I took the turn wide so he couldn't pass me. Oh, the car was filled with high school kids and the street was single lane, so I wasn't out of bounds or anything.

Heibi 2010-10-23 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3312034)

No, you don't do that for decompression sickness. That is when too much nitrogen is built up in the blood. Happens during scuba diving when you go down deep and pressure is increased on your body. If you go up too fast you get the "bends". By regulation, if you scuba dive, you can't fly for around 24 hours.

I'm a former navigator for the Air force. When a plane decompresses the only thing you worry about is time of "useful consciousness".(and being blown out the hole, if it is big enough) Basically, how long you can stay awake with very little oxygen at altitude. That's what that little speech about fitting the oxygen mask to your face on an airline is about. You can't get the bends from decompression.

In Frontier's case it has to do with Ranka's contact with the Vajra.

Side-note: The scene with Ranka falling "up" matched the scene with Minmay falling down in the original Macross with minor differences of course.

Solecs 2010-10-24 00:14

Finally got to seeing the second ep, just barely made it before midnight here =P. First thing that struck me was that I really need to go check out the older Macross series. The whole zentradi part of the story is basically over my head but looks really interesting. I think I glossed over a lot of that the first time through, since I was spending most of my time watching anime as a break between school work and all that back then.

Other than that, another pretty solid episode. Knowing the future of the story takes the mystery about the Vajra reactions to Ranka though. It also helps knowing the character relationships, like having a knowing smirk on your face when Ozma and Cathy face-off. Also, as mentioned, Sheryl comes from the Clark Kent school of disguise. I mean really Ranka, you'd think I big fan like you would have noticed :-/.

magnuskn 2010-10-24 02:48

It works because it's just so glaringly obvious. :p

Or because Ranka is adoringly dense. <ahem> :D

woodearth 2010-10-24 02:50

One detail I like about Alto, and reinforced by Cathy in Ep. 2 is that he pretty smart, at least in the academic sense. A good change from the more common dumb but brave hero, that is an idiot savant when it comes to whatever it is that they need to do. At least it is established that Alto has some training and is good at it. And the series does not show him as some slacker. He actually goes to class!

And, hey, Alto-hime sparkle makes another appearance.

Despite watching the series many times over, I never realize that this episode showed how Sheryl discovered where the missing earring was. I always taught it was a detail that the show missed.

It's hard to watch this show one episode a week, they sure know how to make cliffhanger endings. Takes a lot of willpower not to start watching the next episode immediately.

Shiroth 2010-10-24 04:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecs (Post 3312445)
Finally got to seeing the second ep, just barely made it before midnight here =P. First thing that struck me was that I really need to go check out the older Macross series. The whole zentradi part of the story is basically over my head but looks really interesting. I think I glossed over a lot of that the first time through, since I was spending most of my time watching anime as a break between school work and all that back then.

I'd usually recommend you checkout the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, though if you want to make it quick while the Macross Frontier rewatch is going in, then you can check out Macross: Do You Remember Love? which is an alternate retelling of the original series in film format. A must watch.

Yot-chan 2010-10-24 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuskn (Post 3312593)
It works because it's just so glaringly obvious. :p

Or because Ranka is adoringly dense. <ahem> :D

You'd be amazed at how different a professional movie star or singer can look when they don't have professional make-up on. I've seen quite a few famous people that I wouldn't recognize if I hadn't known already who they were. And once I saw someone and thought, "Huh. That guy looks a bit like Scott Weiland," only to find out later that it WAS Scott Weiland.

So no, Ranka's not dense because of this, nor would it be obvious.

Besides, according to the Nyan Fro liner notes, there are "Sheryl Look-a-likes" around, so perhaps Ranka thought she was just talking to one of them.

DragoZERO 2010-10-24 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heibi (Post 3312413)
Side-note: The scene with Ranka falling "up" matched the scene with Minmay falling down in the original Macross with minor differences of course.

Ohh, good catch there. But I think it's a common occurrence, girl falling and guy catching her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodearth (Post 3312599)
It's hard to watch this show one episode a week, they sure know how to make cliffhanger endings. Takes a lot of willpower not to start watching the next episode immediately.

It really is. I want more Sheryl goodness. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yot-chan (Post 3312832)
You'd be amazed at how different a professional movie star or singer can look when they don't have professional make-up on. I've seen quite a few famous people that I wouldn't recognize if I hadn't known already who they were. And once I saw someone and thought, "Huh. That guy looks a bit like Scott Weiland," only to find out later that it WAS Scott Weiland.

So no, Ranka's not dense because of this, nor would it be obvious.

Besides, according to the Nyan Fro liner notes, there are "Sheryl Look-a-likes" around, so perhaps Ranka thought she was just talking to one of them.

Plus she didn't expect to meet Sheryl out in the middle of the street so why would she quickly assume it was her.