AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   What aspect of your art that you prided over? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=123033)

Fireminer 2013-11-19 23:51

What aspect of your art that you prided over?

(For the people who write, draw, sing, composer,... regularly as a Hobby or Professional)

Just like the title says: What is your strong point, your talent in creating artistic works?

NoemiChan 2013-11-20 02:16

^ My giving importance of incorporating the various cultures of my country's diverse tribal groups. I believe that the fusion of different cultural designs/art into one form of artistic representation as one culture is amazing.

Rising Dragon 2013-11-20 02:19

Apparently I'm pretty damn good at accurately copying something freehand, instead of tracing.

Fireminer 2013-11-20 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoemiChan (Post 4915011)
^ My giving importance of incorporating the various cultures of my country's diverse tribal groups. I believe that the fusion of different cultural designs/art into one form of artistic representation as one culture is amazing.

Well, that is unique! But if you could, please make an example here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 4915013)
Apparently I'm pretty damn good at accurately copying something freehand, instead of tracing.

That doesn't count!

NoemiChan 2013-11-20 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireminer (Post 4915026)
Well, that is unique! But if you could, please make an example here.

Genji's Random Collection

Rising Dragon 2013-11-20 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireminer (Post 4915026)
That doesn't count!

Oh I wouldn't say that. Being able to accurately recreate something at just a glance is a fairly useful talent. Not so much for recreational art, sure, but there's plenty of other applications it can be viable for.

NoemiChan 2013-11-20 03:52

^ Good visual and motor replication technique... I tried it once but ended making new characters (either better or uglier than the originals^^)...

Hiroi Sekai 2013-11-20 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 4915063)
Oh I wouldn't say that. Being able to accurately recreate something at just a glance is a fairly useful talent. Not so much for recreational art, sure, but there's plenty of other applications it can be viable for.

I agree with this. We learn by recreating, so the ability to do so is useful, nay, detrimental to advancing one's artistic skill. If we look at the history of art, there's plenty of this in play (eg: Futurism being an era basically combining Fauvism and Cubism).

Fireminer 2013-11-20 04:24

Well, guess that you're right. Example, Rising Dragon!

And Noemi, you've got your own mark in your drawing. And that's good.

Rising Dragon 2013-11-20 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireminer (Post 4915099)
Well, guess that you're right. Example, Rising Dragon!

I don't have a visual example as I have no way of scanning, but the one time I performed the trick, it was for an art project in college. I was freehanding lineart of Mega Man ZX (Vent in his classic sword pose) from the game's booklet onto a much larger canvas so I could paint it. Both the teacher and the other students were rather surprised at the accuracy of the lineart, especially since I was drawing it much larger than it was in the booklet.

Fireminer 2013-11-20 05:05

Wait, wait, you're a Megaman ZX fan, too? Cool! Have been planning for a ZX/Infinite Stratos crossover myself.

TooPurePureBoy 2013-11-20 09:09

Not really sure from my own perspective,but, I was once told by my college Prof. that when writing prose mine possesses a distinct voice. He told me that was hard to do so I always took it as a nice little compliment to hang my hat on. :cool:

EscapeReality 2013-11-20 21:00

I write, but I don't pride over it, since I really have no flair with coming up with either strong characters or detailed plots.

I play the piano, and I try to transcribe anime songs. Um...I can transmit my sound rather nicely (I can play loud bass chords, but more than not people have complained about it). One thing that I would be proud of is that I play with conviction. I play pieces thinking of stories and feeling emotions, so at least I feel that my music has life.

Wild Goose 2013-11-20 21:07

I can sing, and sing well. Perhaps not good enough to do it professionally (at least, not without a decade and half of training and practice - that boat's sailed a long time ago), but I'm at the level of a talented amateur, and I have a good voice for speech and elocution. Which is why a fanfic project I'm working on is a podfic for another author's fanfic.

And then of course there's my writing - I don't have as much output as I'd like, but I'd like to think that I've improved a fair bit from all the halting steps I took over a decade ago...

Fireminer 2013-11-20 21:16

@Escape: Well, that's good. Art must have soul in the foremost, right?

@Wild Goose: I thought that you're a Lawyer-in-training - that is what my twin told me. So could make the words dance? Sew them into an unpenetrable web?

Alchemist007 2013-11-20 21:17

I only make things when I feel the utmost passion to, a consequence of which has been I make a very limited number of art, and only the kind I want. I wouldn't do it for the money, but if money is a side benefit of it, I wouldn't turn it down.

EscapeReality 2013-11-20 23:09

@Fireminer

Haha. That's what I would hope, but one cannot overlook the importance of technique. Hitting a wrong note just ruins the mood horribly, and takes a lot out of the enjoyment of playing. When I listen to pieces on YouTube, I just take technical perfection as a given, and it's jarring when I hear my own playing littered with errors. I feel sometimes that the audience cannot feel my passion as much as I would like them to feel, since I sometimes do not have the means to communicate that feeling effectively into sound. :heh:

@WildGoose

Have you ever used writing in your music, or vice versa? When I write fanfiction, I feel like a completely different writer when I have my earphones plugged in. Music's very potent in bringing you into a certain moment.

@Alchemist

Completely agree. Never take an art for the sole purposes of being the best or becoming rich and famous. Although many times my human nature has compelled me to practice for reasons other than the love for the art, but during those times I often feel that my playing is weak. I also don't think that anything besides the love for the instrument could sustain one for long periods of time. I'm nervous at recitals because I set expectations for myself and I dread failure. And by doing so I lose sight of the music. Sometimes I try to play artificially fast to please the crowd, and end up slopping up the score. And hence piano has become an ordeal for me, a chore. I'm liking it a lot better after I stopped worrying about competitions and started playing pieces I genuinely wanted to play; it reflects in the playing as well.

bhl88 2013-11-20 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireminer (Post 4915968)
@Escape: Well, that's good. Art must have soul in the foremost, right?

@Wild Goose: I thought that you're a Lawyer-in-training - that is what my twin told me. So could make the words dance? Sew them into an unpenetrable web?

Did you get it (my PM)?

Anyway as for me, it's only making blueprints of ideas, but realizing them is impossible for me...