AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anime-influenced television series (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=114493)

Afternoon Tea 2012-09-03 09:53

Anime-influenced television series

Does anyone here enjoy watching Anime produced in the West? I used to watch these kind of shows all the time as a kid! I can name some off the top of my head like Martin Mystery, Totally Spies, Kappa Mikey, and Boondocks! Today I find them even more interesting! There is no biased problems with voice acting since its originally English, and its what most people are accustomed too when watching some of theses shows on the telly. In addition the art styles make them visually appealing, and yet it seems so natural even for those who don't watch anime. What do you guys think? Whats some of your favorites?

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-03 11:12

Ah, yes. I watched Totally Spies some time ago in our local TV. It’s hilarious and I really enjoyed it. I just love how the agents’ girly antics really affect their spying jobs (methods, tool, etc). The strange things is, despite loving that element in Totally Spies, I really can’t enjoy the same thing from Charlie’s Angels movies (never seen the original series though). I wonder whether it’s because the girly antics are best presented in anime/animation or those Charlie’s Angels movies are just plain awful. :heh:

MisaoFan 2012-09-03 11:20

I love watching Marathon cartoons like Totally Spies! (because it was fucking hilarious !) and Martin Mystery, and I was impressed by W.I.T.C.H too. Because I have good nostalgia for these, I'm looking forward to the upcoming French cartoon (forgot the name) planned for next year (in which Toei will animate).

Kirito 2012-09-03 11:56

I remember watching Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, The Boondocks, and Team Galaxy etc. When I was in middle to high school at the time. I watched them occasionally, but not alot because I wasn't really into anime at the time, but still, good shows in my opinion.

Vladrave 2012-09-03 17:14

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of korra are my favorites.
These two totally whooped some animes.

Afternoon Tea 2012-09-03 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirito (Post 4334212)
I remember watching Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, The Boondocks, and Team Galaxy etc. When I was in middle to high school at the time. I watched them occasionally, but not alot because I wasn't really into anime at the time, but still, good shows in my opinion.

I completely forgot about Team Galaxy!! I remember watching that! :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladrave (Post 4334548)
Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of korra are my favorites.
These two totally whooped some animes.

Avatar is a good one! nostalgia each time! I remember watching a Marathon of that on Thanksgiving day!

Marcus H. 2012-09-03 19:10

Ah yes, the days of Marathon. Not sure what happened to them tho. I have watched Totally Spies! (all four seasons of it) and Martin Mystery on Disney Channel, but I have yet to see reruns of it there. There's also W.I.T.C.H., which actually is still a nice watch despite being a complete spinoff by its second season. I've also watched Winx Club, but I think I quit watching by the third season because it was too focused on romance.

This reminds me, I haven't finished ATLA, and The Legend of Korra really looks interesting to watch.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-03 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee (Post 4334631)
I completely forgot about Team Galaxy!! I remember watching that! :heh:

I watched Team Galaxy solely for Yoko’s (the girl member) hilarity. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee (Post 4334631)
Avatar is a good one! nostalgia each time! I remember watching a Marathon of that on Thanksgiving day!

Yup, Avatar executed their tired premise of “element controllers” very nicely by creating an entire country & culture for each element. Few animes are able to do that successfully. Also, both their comedy and drama really works. Avatar is clearly a work of love.

Kyuu 2012-09-03 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee (Post 4334066)
Does anyone here enjoy watching Anime produced in the West?

I love your question. And to further this, I wish the West makes more. :cool::D The potential exists for Westerners to produce animation on par with anime -- AND -- in a style similar, or very darned close to anime.

To think, I was watching an episode of Rinne no Lagrange on my laptop, while an animated version to Black Dynamite is on Cartoon Network. (The real movie Black Dynamite is made of awesome :cool::D).

The clearest difference in what many here (and other anime communities) refer to as anime vs Western animation... the ability for characters to express emotion. In addition, there are certain timings towards expressing character emotion; and the Japanese do that exceptionally well. They're very very subtle and just as noticeable.

Many people have resorted to the "anime is made in Japan" sort of cop-out, without really taking a look at the differences in the animation styles of Japan vs that of the West. The central difference stems on how the characters move, act, and "feel".

Westerners will be able to produce anime on their own -- IF AND ONLY IF -- Western animators finally master those subtle elements. Avatar has been and still is the only series close to anime, with the Boondocks following as the second. However, in terms of character expressions, both these series fall short to the anime standard. Nevertheless, they're still enjoyable in their own right.

Finally, I still have yet to see Legend of Korra.

bhl88 2012-09-04 02:19

Lol my mind does the cop out with separation xD

totoum 2012-09-04 04:51

No code lyoko mention?Shame on you people,shame on you!

Aelita is the reason why I still have a weakness for 2D pink haired girls,even in anime!

NoemiChan 2012-09-04 04:58

Man, TEEN TITANs... It even had a Japanese OP song and Japanese background...

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-04 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4335147)
Man, TEAM TITANs... It even had a Japanese OP song and Japanese background...

Maybe you meant Teen Titans? :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoum (Post 4335141)
No code lyoko mention?Shame on you people,shame on you!

Aelita is the reason why I still have a weakness for 2D pink haired girls,even in anime!

Please don't blame me. I've never seen it. :heh:

NoemiChan 2012-09-04 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 4335168)
Maybe you meant Teen Titans? :heh:

Thanks.. Blisk.. hehehe

winterbaby 2012-09-04 08:26

I like Avatar: the last airbender, legend of korra, and some episodes of dragon ball z kai

bhl88 2012-09-04 09:12

I'd say every one of those tried too hard except Avatar and the sequel

And they mean anime influenced, not anime anime

MisaoFan 2012-09-04 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterbaby (Post 4335361)
I like Avatar: the last airbender, legend of korra, and some episodes of dragon ball z kai

But I don't think DB Kai is an anime-influenced western show, just some regular Japanese anime. Yet I really enjoyed Winx Club, but I somehow stopped watching it (although I still watch some episodes in random order) as I nearly lost interest in watching cartoons and focuses more on Japanese animes. And I loved Teen Titans too, and to make things better, an opening theme performed by Puffy is added in a feverish manner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl88 (Post 4335413)
I'd say every one of those tried too hard except Avatar and the sequel

And they mean anime influenced, not anime anime

Despite liking some western cartoons with anime influences, I agree your statement. They tried too hard to be anime-influenced and the otaku references are usually poorly inserted especially in comedic scenes.