AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fate/ Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Fate/stay night Final Thoughts & Overall Impressions (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34620)

xris 2006-07-28 14:10

Fate/stay night Final Thoughts & Overall Impressions

This thread is for discussing the entire 24 episode run of Fate/stay night ... your thoughts about the show, theories, hopes and expectations, etc., etc…

Here are the sort of topics you may want to consider posting in the thread
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters.

• Whether there should be another season.
  • Whether there should have been more episodes or less.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

kamikazex 2006-07-28 15:45

my favorite series
hope they make another season
too bad it was so short

Shiroth 2006-07-29 07:04

I'm happy with how it turned out, using the Fate route with a lil' twists to show you more information (Who Archer is, and the sister story) was a good idea.

I'm buying the R2 Jap' DVD's, so i'm happy. ^__^

andiyar 2006-07-29 08:36

Fate/stay night. How can I best describe it? For me, Fate was a beautiful, but flawed anime. The concept was superb, many elements of the show lived up to expectations, in other respects, the show stumbled and occasionally bloodied its nose. Admittedly, I will still be buying Fate as it comes out in R1 - I enjoyed it too much not to. I won't necessarily watch all the episodes with the same enthusiasm, though, for reasons detailed elsewhere in this forum.

This post strikes me as a bit brief, and I have been intending to codify a proper and lengthy response to Fate. I'll see about writing that in the near future, and will repost here with a more detailed response... but for the moment, I think the 'beautiful but flawed' comment is a fair summary. :)

-Andiyar

demon_god04 2006-07-29 13:13

All in all im im satisfied with mostly how it turned out, I just really wanted to see a fully animated fight of Shirou and Gil T-T it'd be cool as a dvd extra but that has the same chance as me wining the lottery and considering I dont by lottery tickets im not holding my breath:heh:

Blizzer 2006-07-29 16:31

Fate/stay night was one of the best animes Ive seen so far.
The characters, the story and the animation everything was perfect...

okay! it had its flaws but FSN was just so enthralling,entertaining and interesting it made up for anything that was the least bit flawed

I want to see a season 2/Movie extending the story maybe into the next war (as long as it isn't FHA) and maybe some OVA's which give us character development they couldn't fit in and each characters background stories (yeah we know them already but if they
made them we get to see it and that would be great-imagine Gil with Enkidu drinking and womanizing XD or Archer's full story)

It's not that I had a problem with the anime or it's ending but it's such a shame it's over I think they should extend it somewhat or develop bits they didn't develop

~FSN list of demands for the future~
-Shirou fights Archer
-Shirou uses UBW while Archer and the Shirou team look on in amazement
-Someone has to realise and say "Archer is Shirou!!!!!"
-Rin and Shirou get drunk 'nuff said :heh:
-Badass Shirou Hell Yeah!

(Forgot to mention the spectacular music, exagerated SFX and animation that made it teh ownage)

Demongod86 2006-07-29 22:44

Here's to hoping we get FHA, because you can never get enough Rider.

fict_ticious 2006-07-29 23:47

Awsome series. Game info aside, it was a pleasure to watch and poke fun at (we've all done that - maybe even to death!). Sure, it wasn't perfect and there were a few things that annoyed me (the first four eps, lol, but at the same time got me hooked) like how some episodes seemingly drag on. Animation was, errm, sometimes inconsistant but I can't be too picky about that - animating Rider bending like that makes up for it.
Things it needed were:
-more episodes (maybe 4 more? 3?)
-more direct connections to certain identities (ie. Medusa since not everyone knows the whole thingy with Bollerophon)
-More goldie-Gil!
-Shirou UBW (kind of a given)
- And many more! Actually, I just ran out of things to say.

Overall, fun to watch and will be purchased upon reaching our shores *hopes for cool dvd extras*

Hemisphere 2006-07-30 03:20

It's been a fun and bumpy ride, and I'm glad I stuck with it until the end. Granted, there were parts in the anime that didn't do justice to the game (so one hasto play the game to find out just why Rin fumbled up her summoning, etc.), but it's okay as it is, in a sort of pleasant way.

Now on to other Type Moon works! Here's hoping they do animate Kara no Kyoukai (it's a rumor, but not confirmed).

mlai 2006-07-30 07:14

* General impression of the series.

The best anime series I've ever seen (granted I'm not as prolific a watcher as a lot of you guys).

* Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.

I've watched 2 other harem animes since then, and I know about a few in the past from cursory watching. It seems they all share some common story devices. But F/SN grew beyond that and did it best IMO.

F/SN strikes a particular chord in me, making it extra special. I am a Roman Britain enthusiast, and so by corollation an Arthurian enthusiast (tho I'm more interested in the nonfiction aspects). So Saber's story has special stature to me, beyond her own Sound-Of-Music retro British cuteness.

Also, I've been drawing a manga which has many similarities to F/SN (a few years before I knew of F/SN's existence). So watching F/SN was extremely interesting. Just as interesting as when I sat glued to the TV digesting Joseph Campbell's interview (Heroes and Myth), because it had so much relevance to my story.

F/SN was extremely well written on the subject of heroism, with bonafide deep thoughts intricately tied to the actual story.

* Thoughts about the animation quality.

If the fight scenes all received as much budget as the last episode or even the trailer clips, this anime would've been almost perfect. If I won Lotto and could go back in time, I'd donate money to Studio Deen.

The half-second clip of Saber and Berserker clashing in the forest, in 1 of the trailers... is there a segment of that longer than half a second??? It was a bunch of half-second montages at the very end of a trailer I saw, which included a half-second scene of Bedivere standing over Saber, except the lighting seemed like a summer sunset, with much more leaves swirling about (felt like Legend the movie).

* Characters.

I have one complaint about Archer - his animation was too stiff. Whenever the camera pans to him, he always had to immediately strike his "cool" pose, where he's standing erect with his head lowered. You wonder if he had back surgery or something.

And the fight animations in eps 14 wasn't good. I don't know why ppl rave about it. Probably a consequence of trying to strike the cool pose and trying to fight at the same time.

* Whether there should have been more episodes or less.

Needed at least 4 more eps to somehow incorporate H's F elements the correct way, i.e. with the Granpa, True Assassin, Dark Sakura, and *maybe* temporary Dark Saber. I don't know what could have been done with UBW, though. Only viable route I see would be Archer visiting Shirou mind and aggressively helping him break thru his runner's wall (for magic).

* What the show meant to you.

It has been a long time since I had fallen in love with a series to the point of obsession. The last time it happened was more than 15 years ago. When that happened, I drew so much fan art my artistic ability grew by leaps and bounds and it was one of my definitive artistic milestones. F/SN won't have that particular consequence for me because its art style doesn't challenge me. But that doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

I'm wondering what my feelings towards F/SN would be if it had a different art style.

* What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.

Better fights and more episodes. As for the anime's art style, I think it was perfect. I love how anime art is often better than the original art, in a lot of animes I've seen.

Bloodseeker 2006-07-30 07:25

They need to animate Heaven's Feel... Sakura Matou and Rider FTFW.

Tohsaka was a nice break from the prudish anime girls that you usually run across in non-seinen anime. She, Rider, and Archer were my favorite characters. I would've liked to have seen more of Sakura too... she's hottest F/SN character, IMO.

Deathkillz 2006-07-30 18:14

IMO one of the best series...it has all the elements of a good action mixed with love and mystery anime...
superb chara development for a 24 ep series...they actually managed to fit all the charas onto 24 ep which makes the story seem rushed but actually they did do a good job trying to put time on each chara development seen as its only 24 ep...
when ive first saw this i immediatly fallen in love with it...the art was beautiful and the story was unique
seeing the greatness of this series im just itching to play it for myself :heh:
really hope for a second season or a short ova showing FHA sequel...

duno wht else to say...might add later ;)

Hoshi_Kawa 2006-07-30 23:27

I just finished watching the 24th Episode, I also cried T.T poor Emiya, The ending reminded me of a distanced friend.

But personally I didn't quite get it where Saber said she loved Emiya. Was it because he allowed her to accomphish what she wanted, or was it really love?

meh, Lol I thought maybe they could of stretched it out a bit more like 50 episodes or something... but im still surprised like Deathkillz said that they can fit all that into 24 Episodes. I need More!!!

The Action was great, Holy Crap! lol sometimes I just spend an hour just watching a 5 minute battle scene over and over... and the music, was very suspensful where I can feel it inside me, or maybe I just had it up too loud @_@

I just whiched they didnt make Illeya's character coolness die off, after she lost her servant, everything just dropped for her =/ EVILNESS come back T.T

Yet in the end, this is one anime I know im going keep.

I really would like to play the game, but my computer is an older version that dont have the japanese windows xp settings T.T

mlai 2006-07-31 18:57

Saber liked then loved Shirou for almost as long as he did so for her. It's just that at the final moment she finally put it into words.

depthcharge101 2006-07-31 23:34

Can't say it's the best anime, but definitely one of my favourites. The action is pretty crappy, but the relation development between saber and shirou is awesome. Not to mention the anime makes me play the game too.

In short, I can only say the anime is only appealing to certain ppl. Apparently a lot of ppl think it's just mediocre, and I am not saying they are wrong. Just depends what you see in the anime and what you did not see.

aldeayeah 2006-08-01 13:17

Telegraphic style:

Virtues: Concept (story, setting and characterization), character design, voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The execution of certain episodes is superb (episode 14 and 24 come to mind).

Flaws: Animation is very inconsistent. Some direction issues (those stupid split screen zooming/paning sequences). Flashback abuse. Major rythm issues. Mostly unimpressive action sequences.

And now on to the serious stuff: Very poor scriptwriting. The dialogues are the same from the game, but due to the removal of a vast amount of narrator text / monologues, they just don't work. The story is made unneccesarily enigmatic by the lack of explanations, to the point it jeopardizes the suspension of disbelief, which is a very bad thing.

An example of that lack of explanation: in episode 15, Rin jumps like a bloody ninja on crack on Berserker. Yet they never explain that Magi can temporally enhance their body, nor they tell us that the Tohsakas are actual martial artists. So we're left with "WTF did she just jump ten meters away from the tree or what!?"

Veredict: An anime with outstanding virtues and flaws, it would have benefitted inmensely from a higher budget. And better scripts. Ultimately, thanks to the ending, it leaves a good impression.

Bloodseeker 2006-08-01 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldeayeah
An example of that lack of explanation: in episode 15, Rin jumps like a bloody ninja on crack on Berserker. Yet they never explain that Magi can temporally enhance their body, nor they tell us that the Tohsakas are actual martial artists. So we're left with "WTF did she just jump ten meters away from the tree or what!?"

If that's the worst of it, then it doesn't look like those of us that hadn't played the games were missing out on any important details... I wouldn't have guessed that she was using a body enhancing spell, nor would I have guessed that she were a martial artist (especially after she completely failed to keep up with that teacher), but I just figured that Tohsaka is in an anime character and that gravity sometimes doesn't count for anything in anime.

Kai1 2006-08-03 01:55

Fate/Stay Night is simply brilliant. There are only a few animes that would want to make me keep watching untill you're done with the series (Suzumiya Haruhi comes to mind but even that wasn't as captivating).
It is profound and sometimes you'll understand the meaning of scenes only at the end. The characters are intriguing and you could easily fall in love with either of them.
And it is actually a very touching anime.

For me, it's going to be the anime to beat. Definitely at the top of my list.

Question 2006-08-03 12:43

Oh in general, a very good series. However with only 24 episodes it just isnt enough time to squeeze in all the sub-plots or character development it deserved. Still it was decently done, better than Fukuda's soap opera BS, 49 episodes and failing at basic character development. Pathetic.

What i seriously dislike is the one-off nature of it. It was like Tsukihime.......one-off. No options for a second season or sequel. Ending was just that, the ending.

You cant have them make another scenario from the game because you already have 3 amalgated into one(Very well done btw).

You cant have a fate/hollow ataraxia because it is just too confusing and will alienate fans of the first series. People will be going "WTF is this?!". Hell just reading about it and the time paradox thing is hard enough to understand.

And with the holy grail destroyed, thats it, no more servants blah blah blah, so even if a OVA or such was made after the events in the anime series, it would be missing the main point of the show.

Sad.

Bloodseeker 2006-08-03 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Question
Oh in general, a very good series. However with only 24 episodes it just isnt enough time to squeeze in all the sub-plots or character development it deserved. Still it was decently done, better than Fukuda's soap opera BS, 49 episodes and failing at basic character development. Pathetic.

What i seriously dislike is the one-off nature of it. It was like Tsukihime.......one-off. No options for a second season or sequel. Ending was just that, the ending.

You cant have them make another scenario from the game because you already have 3 amalgated into one(Very well done btw).

You cant have a fate/hollow ataraxia because it is just too confusing and will alienate fans of the first series. People will be going "WTF is this?!". Hell just reading about it and the time paradox thing is hard enough to understand.

And with the holy grail destroyed, thats it, no more servants blah blah blah, so even if a OVA or such was made after the events in the anime series, it would be missing the main point of the show.

Sad.

They could always hype the other routes as spin offs instead of sequels.