AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fullmetal Alchemist (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How many episodes is FMA? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=13659)

garygao12345 2004-05-14 10:14

How many episodes is FMA?

how many r subbed and how many total?

Edit by Moderator:

This topic is closed because the question has been thoroughly answered. I really don't want any more discussion to confuse the issue.

The TV series ends with episode 51.
Then there is a movie still to come which might continue the story.

silentpixel 2004-05-14 10:19

31 episodes subbed and there will be 52 episodes.

microlith 2004-05-14 11:45

50 episodes.

The R2 DVD release will be 13 discs, the first disc had 2 episodes, the remaining 12 will have 4 per disc.

ShinDragon 2004-05-14 11:57

I thought it's 51?
Cuz it says FUNImation bought the rights for 51 eps.

microlith 2004-05-14 12:34

That may or may not be accurate. Maybe Funimation knows of a yet to be produced OAV that they'll give to CN instead of only putting on video. Maybe the report was wrong.

But suffice it to say, the R2 disc/episode count is set in stone, giving us 50 episodes.

garygao12345 2004-05-14 18:25

too bad its licenced cause i just watched the first 3 eps and im hooked already :(

Kouji 2004-05-14 20:46

Well, at least they'll put it on Adult Swim. Because unlike Toonami, Adult Swim does less editing to their anime. Just look at what they're doing to Wolf's Rain ^_^. Like in WR, they let blood slip by. And you can bet that FMA will be just as harsh as WR

WannaberGS 2004-05-14 21:00

haha ur guys are numb if u think we can't dl fma from other subbers

Kouji 2004-05-14 23:15

K then, prove that. By saying that you've watched FMA via another sub. Though, I doubt that you will find another subber doing FMA, since FUNi already picked up the anime :heh:

Jumper 2004-05-15 14:19

I always heard that the series has 52 Eps o_O

And when you search for the Eps throught the Internet you will always find somewhere some Group which is Subbing licenced Animes (and there is also one which is subbing FMA)

a_nevels666 2004-05-15 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kouji
K then, prove that. By saying that you've watched FMA via another sub. Though, I doubt that you will find another subber doing FMA, since FUNi already picked up the anime :heh:

Actually pretty much all the other licensed shows like Tenjo Tenge, Ghost in the Shell, Hi no Tori, GunGrave etc... are all being fansubbed despite being licensed. A certain group (which I won't name here for obvious reasons) has already said they'll sub FMA.

Yebyosh 2004-05-16 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by microlith
That may or may not be accurate. Maybe Funimation knows of a yet to be produced OAV that they'll give to CN instead of only putting on video. Maybe the report was wrong.

But suffice it to say, the R2 disc/episode count is set in stone, giving us 50 episodes.

Maybe Funimation bought Ep 0 - the preview & making of FMA as well?

Though Ep 0's presentation was too childish...

inu-fma88fan 2004-05-16 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Actually pretty much all the other licensed shows like Tenjo Tenge, Ghost in the Shell, Hi no Tori, GunGrave etc... are all being fansubbed despite being licensed. A certain group (which I won't name here for obvious reasons) has already said they'll sub FMA.

lol
that makes me feel better
and i think there are 52 and i hope they have 52 instead of less

duckroll 2004-05-16 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by inu-fma88fan
lol
that makes me feel better
and i think there are 52 and i hope they have 52 instead of less

There can't be 52 episodes. If there were 52 eps, the first R2 disc would have 4 eps instead of 2. I agree that right now the best guess would be that there are 50 real eps (like on the R2 DVDs) and FUNimation is just counting 51 to include the bonus Ep 0 for marketing purposes.

trix 2004-05-19 17:23

Episode #

How many episodes will FMA be? This might have been asked before I somewhere saw 50. Is that correct?

Avi 2004-05-20 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_nevels666

Yes, That Group is awesome to ^_^

As for Number of eps.. it hink we will all find out, sooner or later

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- 2004-05-20 18:55

Most information sites have it down as 50 episodes.

Suikun 2004-05-22 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kouji
Well, at least they'll put it on Adult Swim. Because unlike Toonami, Adult Swim does less editing to their anime. Just look at what they're doing to Wolf's Rain ^_^. Like in WR, they let blood slip by. And you can bet that FMA will be just as harsh as WR

Has anything been said officially as to where Fullmetal Alchemist would go? Last I heard, it was still completely up in the air as to whether it'd be on Toonami, Adult Swim, or *gasp* Miguzi.

-chuckles-
Now that'd be funny; seeing them try to edit FMA for Miguzi.

Arashidono 2004-07-23 21:52

51 episodes + the movie (as the real end) o.O

Yesterday I have been told that they are 51 episodes actually, and the movie will be the real end.

Chiao

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- 2004-07-23 23:00

do you have any solid verification of this? For all we know, this might just be some rumour that somebody cooked up....

DarknessTear 2004-07-24 00:50

Well 51 is the number of eps that were licensed.

Blaat 2004-07-24 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessTear
Well 51 is the number of eps that were licensed.

So does that mean that animesuku can list episode 52 of FMA if it exits and its fansubbed? :p

I kind of expect the show to have a bad ending and let the movie explain the loose ends. Not sure if I'm going to be happy with that...

Cheesemon 2004-07-24 02:43

Y'know, I'm actually thinking that the FMA movie will not happen, and it's actually a swerve to make fans think that Al and Ed will remain the same in the final episode. Though I guess to maintain the surprise, the manga artist would have to postpone releasing the final volume too. ;)

duckroll 2004-07-24 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesemon
Y'know, I'm actually thinking that the FMA movie will not happen, and it's actually a swerve to make fans think that Al and Ed will remain the same in the final episode. Though I guess to maintain the surprise, the manga artist would have to postpone releasing the final volume too. ;)

Errr final volume? The manga isn't going to end for YEARS (the mangaka has said this himself) and the anime and the manga have very different plotlines. The movie WILL happen, but I doubt Bones will have a non-ending in the series. The fact that the movie takes palce 2 years after the series already implies that the ending of the series will have a solid conclusion that changes many things, and the movie will be a sort of epilogue to the entire story catching up with the characters and world 2 years after the conclusive event.

paladin 2004-07-24 04:37

It was announced that the movie is slated for summer of 2005. Additionally it is said to cover a period 2 years after the ending of the FMA TV Anime.

Rattus 2004-07-24 05:57

51 licenced episodes could possibly include this weeks 1h-sepcial as a single episode, making it 52 really...

We all know the series resolution will be in the next series of FLAME ALCHEMIST anyway :D

Cheesemon 2004-07-24 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckroll
Errr final volume? The manga isn't going to end for YEARS (the mangaka has said this himself) and the anime and the manga have very different plotlines. The movie WILL happen, but I doubt Bones will have a non-ending in the series. The fact that the movie takes palce 2 years after the series already implies that the ending of the series will have a solid conclusion that changes many things, and the movie will be a sort of epilogue to the entire story catching up with the characters and world 2 years after the conclusive event.

For years?!! Yikes, I don't read the manga, but I thought the anime was following it closely since I keep getting spoiled by manga readers on the major events. I'm really curious at reading the manga now once the series and movie are over. Hopefully, the manga will have an ending too and won't go on forever like One Piece or Oh My Goddess . . . FMA just doesn't seem like it could go a long time

Spoiler:

Has the mangaka work closely with the anime? Does he mind Bones making an ending for his work first?

Blaat 2004-07-24 06:50

Quote:

Spoiler:

That easily solved by...
Spoiler:

Lame I know :)

duckroll 2004-07-24 07:36

Quote:

Has the mangaka work closely with the anime? Does he mind Bones making an ending for his work first?

Yes the author is working very closely with the entire franchise of FMA afaik. After all, he creates the original characters used in the games and Bones does the animation for the games too. Not to mention that when the anime started, in order for certain key events we are currently seeing to have been planned, he would have already worked with Bones on many key scenes he would be working on for the manga (which had not happened yet in the manga when the anime started) but I'm sure he allows Bones to largely write the original anime story themselves and create their own ending. Not a bad choice, since Bones is mostly known for very good stories and adaptations as well as AWESOME endings. :)

Yebyosh 2004-07-24 10:39

Quote:

Yes the author is working very closely with the entire franchise of FMA afaik. After all, he creates the original characters used in the games and Bones does the animation for the games too. Not to mention that when the anime started, in order for certain key events we are currently seeing to have been planned, he would have already worked with Bones on many key scenes he would be working on for the manga (which had not happened yet in the manga when the anime started) but I'm sure he allows Bones to largely write the original anime story themselves and create their own ending. Not a bad choice, since Bones is mostly known for very good stories and adaptations as well as AWESOME endings. :)

Actually there is no proof that the mangaka is working with the anime crew at all. The only credit paid to Arakawa-sensei is being the original Author and that's all. No credit is paid to Arakawa-sensei for Consultancy nor Scriptwriting nor Directing nor Production.

Arakawa-sensei has the rights over the manga works (plot/direction/characters) but Gangan possess the rights to the published works in their monthlies. Arakawa-sensei & Gangan share the revenues from the sales of the tankoubons.

Square-Enix is the one with the game rights (as well as owning Gangan).

Sony possess the merchandising & music rights. They have the ultimate control over what will be produced in these areas or not. Neither Arakawa-sensei nor Gangan have a big say here. They also have the DVD rights as well (likely co-shared with Square-Enix & BONES). It is not unfair to say then that they will be the ones with the ultimate say in how the anime will turn out.

BONES is the anime company producing the anime. They have their own whole anime staff doing the series. In none of the interviews with the staff was Arakawa-sensei mentioned to be working with them and no interviews on the anime was with the mangaka, Arakawa-sensei. BONES started off with the manga and decided on a plot to take with a few suggestions from Arakawa-sensei. They are not obliged to follow anything Arakawa-sensei has suggested to them (and in fact have proven so by how the anime has developed). As the anime proceeds, the anime crew occasionally pick some more stuff again from manga already published to incorporate in if they wish. They are the ones that suggest to Sony how the anime will pan out or draw out a storyline that will match Sony's ultimate goal.

Another telling fact, Arakawa-sensei besides only once announcing the animation of FMA has begun, has never talked about the anime (how it is going on, what Arakawa-sensei's thoughts about it are, what possible direction the anime is going to take) ever again, meaning Arakawa-sensei is not involved one bit in deciding how the anime is going to turn out...

ChainLegacy 2004-07-24 10:53

Quote:

Uhh... I thought the mangaka was a woman...

Rattus 2004-07-24 11:09

Obviously a LOT of information was exchanged in advance tho.. Martel's fate, how a homunculus is created, must have been communicated FAR in advance of it ever appearing in the manga.

Pepperidge 2004-07-24 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by killermonk
Uhh... I thought the mangaka was a woman...

That's what I have been led to believe, heh...

Yebyosh 2004-07-24 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattus
Obviously a LOT of information was exchanged in advance tho.. Martel's fate, how a homunculus is created, must have been communicated FAR in advance of it ever appearing in the manga.

Not really. The chrnology of the manga's publication and the anime's production leads me to believe when BONES started, they had only up to the starting of the Greed arc. BONES then established certain critical plot devices of their own (anime Wrath & Bradley) telling the crew they must do this. Then when they had started the episode where anime Wrath appeared, the revelation of manga Wrath was about to be published, wrecking their plans.

The discrepancy between the two Wraths is what I consider to be the clear segregation of what initial material (manga chapters) BONES had at the start to base their own storyline with (besides lots of other details). It thus points to BONES not having chapters 29++ when they started. When they reached that point where chapters 29++ were about to be published, they incorporated as much as they can without destroying what they had in mind for their anime storyline.

Note: If BONES start work on an Episode X at week W and manga chapter A is about to be published at that time, the contents of A cannot be incorporated into X at that time until the arc they have ended. Episode X would also be actually shown at week W+2 at least for final brush-up, editing & QA. So if A's contents are incorporated into, let's say, X+4, you would only see what BONES did with the manga's A at week W+6.

This would explain why the manga elements were collectively gathered nicely at pre-ep25 but gets scattered with gaps (as in the time difference between their occurance) amongst them post-ep25.

Regarding Arakawa-sensei's gender, there's been some recent events that makes it a more wide-spread confusion (I'm to blame too :( ). Check out the Manga discussion thread for details. Let's just say for now, I'm too confused and would really like a interview/picture for confirmation...

Cheesemon 2004-07-25 05:42

Man, having to write "Arakawa-sensei" everytime instead of "him" or "her" must suck. Why sensei, btw? Was he/she a teacher, doctor, or lawyer?

I was just reading that she was a girl over at this LJ thread: http://www.livejournal.com/community...st/731473.html

But yeah, I think we really need a picture to confirm. I'm really surprised that FMA is one of the most popular anime and manga for nearly a year right now, and still no one knows the creator's gender. Wazzupwitdat?!

Hiromu's a first name right? That's a male name, isn't it? That would be really awesome if it was a female though, because it would hopefully inspire other female writers to break the convention of writing romance and magical girl comics and try something different.

Yebyosh 2004-07-25 10:11

Quote:

Man, having to write "Arakawa-sensei" everytime instead of "him" or "her" must suck. Why sensei, btw? Was he/she a teacher, doctor, or lawyer?

Yes, it is a mouthful. Sensei is an honorific used to address people whom you respect for their high skills/experience/expertise. It is not strictly restricted to addressing only professionals.

Quote:

I was just reading that she was a girl over at this LJ thread: http://www.livejournal.com/community...st/731473.html

But yeah, I think we really need a picture to confirm. I'm really surprised that FMA is one of the most popular anime and manga for nearly a year right now, and still no one knows the creator's gender. Wazzupwitdat?!

The 'revelation' actually sprang up on Japanese blogs/fansites around early/mid April. It spread to the other Asian sites by late April. So it seems the Western sites are 'slow' to catch on.

The fact that a mangaka and his/her crew are practically recluses (i.e. they are not highly exposed like high profile celebrities) allows their identities/pictures to remain secrets until they appear at an award ceremony. Arakawa-sensei's gender was supposedly exposed when the mangaka was to receive an award for best selling series (FMA, what else :p 1,000,000 volumes sold! Needless to say, Arakawa-sensei received mucho money from the shared royalties with Gangan) at the 49th Japanese Manga Association Awards for the Shounen Section.

Quote:

Hiromu's a first name right? That's a male name, isn't it? That would be really awesome if it was a female though, because it would hopefully inspire other female writers to break the convention of writing romance and magical girl comics and try something different.

Yes, Hiromu is a male name. The supposed explanation was that Gangan's editor advised Arakawa-sensei to adopt a male name to gain wider & easier acceptance as a Shounen Mangaka. It seemed to have worked with Arakawa-sensei's first published Gangan work, Stray Dog.

There are some things that fit with the idea that Arakawa-sensei is a woman. The biggest point would be that FMA has a lot of fangirls, more than usual for a Shounen series that is. It is deduced that if Arakawa-sensei is a female, she might have imbued some unknown Shoujou mystique in the manga that reached out to the girls. Other things also include the ummm cow-decor in Arakawa-sensei's apartment/workplace.

full_metal_31 2004-07-25 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arashidono
Yesterday I have been told that they are 51 episodes actually, and the movie will be the real end.

Chiao

i heard it's 52 episodes and the movie but i don't know for sure.

Akichan 2004-07-25 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yebyosh
There are some things that fit with the idea that Arakawa-sensei is a woman. The biggest point would be that FMA has a lot of fangirls, more than usual for a Shounen series that is. It is deduced that if Arakawa-sensei is a female, she might have imbued some unknown Shoujou mystique in the manga that reached out to the girls.

I'd watch it with that comment if I were you Yebyosh. You'll actually find a LOT of fangirls are into Shounen series' as opposed to Shoujou. I hate Shoujou in fact. All that girly crap...LOL It's too sweet. Give me FMA, Naruto, Prince of Tennis, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh! or Hikaru no Go any day over any Shoujou title.

There are very few titles in Shoujou that I can personally even tolerate.

The secret in this one is probably the fact that there are a few bishounen. That's all it takes sometimes. :heh:

There's a lot of fangirls in fandoms where the cast consists mostly of guys, you'll note. Shounen or not. Shoujou stories tend to cast girls and be light and fluffy, no angst...just not for me. In fact I know a lot of guys who prefer the Shoujou titles for the pretty girls. ;)

That aside, I did think it would be a guy's story, granted, but once those pictures were out awhile ago claiming it was Arakawa-sensei, I was glad for her. She seems to be successful and that's just awesome. She deserves all of the acclaim she's getting, because unlike many things, I find FMA really unique, so hats off to Arakawa-sensei! :bow:

(Sorry for the use of a pronoun. Too much typing, LOL so I just picked. But it'll change if it's revealed Arakawa-sensei's male)

Yebyosh 2004-07-25 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akichan
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yebyosh
There are some things that fit with the idea that Arakawa-sensei is a woman. The biggest point would be that FMA has a lot of fangirls, more than usual for a Shounen series that is. It is deduced that if Arakawa-sensei is a female, she might have imbued some unknown Shoujou mystique in the manga that reached out to the girls.

I'd watch it with that comment if I were you Yebyosh. You'll actually find a LOT of fangirls are into Shounen series' as opposed to Shoujou. I hate Shoujou in fact. All that girly crap...LOL It's too sweet. Give me FMA, Naruto, Prince of Tennis, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh! or Hikaru no Go any day over any Shoujou title.

I'm confused why you called me to task for that comment of mine :twitch: All I said was that it is generally thought FMA has more female readers than the standard female reader figures of other Shounen mangas. I suspect you had thought that quote might be implying "no girls ever read Shounen other than FMA" but that is not what I said nor mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akichan
That aside, I did think it would be a guy's story, granted, but once those pictures were out awhile ago claiming it was Arakawa-sensei, I was glad for her. She seems to be successful and that's just awesome. She deserves all of the acclaim she's getting, because unlike many things, I find FMA really unique, so hats off to Arakawa-sensei! :bow:

(Sorry for the use of a pronoun. Too much typing, LOL so I just picked. But it'll change if it's revealed Arakawa-sensei's male)

Yes but let's not forget that Arakawa-sensei (if female) is not the only female mangaka to make it successfully into the Shounen genre. Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker & Peace Maker Kurogane's mangaka, Kurono Nanae is a female mangaka as well (though PMK carries a heavy yaoi atmosphere). Rumiko Takahashi also ventured successfully with Ranma 1/2. :) So I guess Arakawa-sensei is just continuing to prove that Shounen is not just a man's only field (if the sensei is a female of course).

neoko 2004-07-27 07:46

Great! Now i can continue the FMA greatness even after the series end and in the process of waiting for the movie too. Nice!