AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Saimoe 2008 Pre-Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=66061)

Xellos-_^ 2008-05-03 00:45

Saimoe 2008 Pre-Discussion

It is May and only another month and a half till the preliminary rounds of Saimoe 2008.

This year the competition is going to be a very thin as the strongest candidates will be form 2007. Very few of the 2008 season has produce any strong candidates, although their are a couple of dark horses.

Nanoha - 2005 Champion, 2007 Elite Eight. Always a strong candidate, a few lucky breaks here and there and she could be the first repeat champion of Saimoe.

Fate - 2006 runner up. Lost in the 2nd round of 2007 but lost with one of the highest vote totals. For 3 straight years she lost to one of the Rozen Dolls, however this year there will be no Dolls. 2008 is her last chance for a champion ship.

Rena - a early exit in 2006 but a final four in 2007. Always a strong candidate but she surprise everyone with a surprise win over one 2007's favorites Kagami. Will she take anyone home in 2008 or will revenge votes force her home early.

Rika - 2007 Saimoe Champion and biggest Dark Horse since Chiakru-sama in 2006. She did very well in 2007 but if she gets a unlucky draw early, Rika will most likely take a early Exit.

Kagami - The purple hair tsundere was one of the favorites going into Saimoe 2007 with the largest number of vote in the preliminary rounds. Her lopsided early round victory certainly back up her status as a favorite but was unexpectedly taken home by Rena in one of the biggest upset of Saimoe 2007.

Konata - Otaku Smurf coast her way into the Final four. However like Rika, the wrong draw and she will most likely earn a early round exit.

Maria - A early round exit in 2007 but as subsequent contest has shown Maria is very moe and very strong.

Hinagiku - Another Pink Hair Tsundere that was a favorite going in to 2007 Saimoe. Like Kagmi she also on the receiving end of a huge upset. Will 2008 Saimoe be kinder to her or will she end up another early round victim.

Nagi - Elite Eight in 2007. The blond loli tsundere surprise a lot of people with a victory over Shana. Will she repeat her victory in 008 or will she meet with a early round Exit?

Shana - a perennial favorite of Saimoe contest. She has always done will but never been a champion. Will 2008 be her year or will she wait for next sequel?

Rei, Asuka and Misato - Eva was one of most popular show form 1990s and by the sales of the LE DVD rls of movie 1 (200,000+ unit in first week) it still is among the top shows ever created. However popular shows have not always done well in Saimoe. One of the biggest question of 2008 Saimoe will be how well the Eva girls will do with the voters. Rei was one of the foreunners of silent moe and Asuka was tsundere before tsundere became a otaku vocalbulary. Misato has always been popular with her beer guzzling, soft and hard side all roll in one. It will be very interesting in seeing they will do.

Honorable mentions: Isumi, Tsukasa, Luna, San, Rein, Vita, Hayate, C.C., Horo, louise the zero, Tenko, Senko and the cast of Clannad.

Daniel E. 2008-05-03 00:52

I haven't watched that many shows since the last Saimoe. To make matters worse, my top pick for this year may not even make it past the preliminaries. >_< !

KholdStare 2008-05-03 00:55

What, no Sakura-chan? Sad, since she's way too moe. Oh well, at least (well, I hope) we won't see KyoAni over-domination here, although if a Clannad character wins SaiMoe, I will take back everything I said about KyoAni, which wasn't much anyways.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-05-03 01:35

You've gotta be kidding me. Didn't this thing just end followed by like 3 other versions of the contest? Is this a year round celebration now? Is it even really worth getting so excited about anymore if it's so omnipresent? Saturation might actually be the better word.

minhtam1638 2008-05-03 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1572768)
You've gotta be kidding me. Didn't this thing just end followed by like 3 other versions of the contest? Is this a year round celebration now? Is it even really worth getting so excited about anymore if it's so omnipresent? Saturation might actually be the better word.

Yes, it is now an actual year-round season. J Saimoe and K Saimoe take place July - November. ISML (my Saimoe competition) takes place April - September. Combine that with all the mini competitions that take place in other various forums between November and April, and you have a year-round circuit.

Actually, it is because we have so many of this competitions that I decided to start an International League.

EDIT: Actually, anybody with a record of .250 in ISML entered in the Anime Saimoe Tournament of Japan will be the threats of 2008.

Deathkillz 2008-05-03 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by minhtam2448 (Post 1572928)
EDIT: Actually, anybody with a record of .250 in ISML entered in the Anime Saimoe Tournament of Japan will be the threats of 2008.

That depends.

The fanbase's voting in Japan differs a lot from the ones in ISML. Some character that may be popular in ISML could be completely knocked out in JSaimoe (and seen as the latter tournament is a complete knockout, luck also plays a hand).

It's a shame that there aren't anymore doll joints here...I miss them already :sad:

otacu 2008-05-03 05:24

Useless discussion.

We all know the final match will be

Guchuko VS Murasaki.:cool:

minhtam1638 2008-05-03 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathkillz (Post 1572949)
That depends.

The fanbase's voting in Japan differs a lot from the ones in ISML. Some character that may be popular in ISML could be completely knocked out in JSaimoe (and seen as the latter tournament is a complete knockout, luck also plays a hand).

It's a shame that there aren't anymore doll joints here...I miss them already :sad:

Hey, man, I'm trying to get Japan support on ISML. But Japan is usually anti-metagame, which means they take care of the overhyped contestants.

Xellos-_^ 2008-05-03 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathkillz (Post 1572949)
That depends.

Well for Gin fans we have a Gin clone in Senko-chan. White Hair, gothic dress and pyscho :D Next best thing to having the real Gin to vote for.

Furudanuki 2008-05-03 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 1572711)
Kagami - The pink hair tsundere was one of the favorites going into Saimoe 2007 with the largest number of vote in the preliminary rounds. Her lopsided early round victory certainly back up her status as a favorite but was unexpectedly taken home by Rena in one of the biggest upset of Saimoe 2007.

Ummmmm.... Pink Hair = :confused:

Xellos-_^ 2008-05-03 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furudanuki (Post 1573263)
Ummmmm.... Pink Hair = :confused:

pink..purple..whats the difference :cool::p

Daniel E. 2008-05-03 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by otacu (Post 1572957)
Useless discussion.

We all know the final match will be

Guchuko VS Murasaki.:cool:

Guchuko is also one of my favorites. :)

I wonder how she and Potemayo will fare?

OverFunk 2008-05-03 13:12

I don't think teh Rei and teh Asuka will do any good this Saimoe. Series is already old (real reason that got Kanon girls killed), and it's really popular, which raises the possibility of a hate faction... They aren't even that moe anyway...

I, for one, prefer new blood. It makes the contest more unpredictable. Let's see what Mizore, Guchuko, Kokoro and many more can bring to the contest. As much of a Shana fan I am, it does get boring after a while...

Finally, I still have the doubt if Touhou girls can enter because of that doujin animation from C73...

Sheba 2008-05-03 13:17

KyoAni girls has no chance in hell.

Horo maybe?

Deathkillz 2008-05-03 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverFunk (Post 1573368)
I don't think teh Rei and teh Asuka will do any good this Saimoe. Series is already old (real reason that got Kanon girls killed), and it's really popular, which raises the possibility of a hate faction... They aren't even that moe anyway...

Well the opinion of whether they are moe or not is up to your personal tastes. :rolleyes:

But the reason why they won't be getting far is not because of the amount of hate, but the amount of love new-er series are getting. They are popular but that amount of fame is limited to older viewers or viewers who really liked the series enough.

More "hip hop" series nowadays will be getting more attention though, even so, I can see the heavy oldies making their way back (for one thing, the Nanoha girls is a given, and I would be extremely shocked to see Fate chan especially, knocked out early on).

Other series are less predictable.

@ Xellos-_^ ~ yea...Senko will have to do >_<

*Offers support!*

Xellos-_^ 2008-05-03 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverFunk (Post 1573368)

I, for one, prefer new blood. It makes the contest more unpredictable. Let's see what Mizore, Guchuko, Kokoro and many more can bring to the contest. As much of a Shana fan I am, it does get boring after a while...

Finally, I still have the doubt if Touhou girls can enter because of that doujin animation from C73...

The thing is the new blood just isn't comparable to the old blood. None of the new shows have produce any new contestants that can rival the old favorites. Of the new contestants i only see Horo getting anywhere and only if she doesn't end facing one of the heavies.

As for Rei and Asuka, there does seems to be a revival of sorts for the evangelion franchaise. and the Rei and Asuka h-doujin have slow but never die out in doujin circles. So it is kinda hard to predict how they will do.

Fynal_Fyre 2008-05-03 14:58

Well, I kind of agree with Xellos, I only see Spice and Wolf's Horo ot maybe perhaps certain girls from Clannad as strong contenders, and only if she they're not paired with heavy hitters like Nanoha or Shana early on.

As to Evangelion, yes, there IS sort of a revival for the series, although to what length I cannot really say so, always did like Rei's character design though, but that's not the point.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-05-03 15:05

Well no matter what happens an entire faction of people is going to end up crying in the end.

Though there isn't that one guy that used to troll for Kyoani anymore and have a nervous breakdown with flaming and subsequent banning every time one of their characters got eliminated. What was his name, Mad Dog? That definitely didn't help their case last time if I recall. In fact the general lessened overzealousness of said fanbase since 2008 began (in my opinion) should help to ease those anti-votes, so I wouldn't count out the Clannad characters entirely.

Xellos-_^ 2008-05-03 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1573516)
Well no matter what happens an entire faction of people is going to end up crying in the end.

Though there isn't that one guy that used to troll for Kyoani anymore and have a nervous breakdown with flaming and subsequent banning every time one of their characters got eliminated. What was his name, Mad Dog? That definitely didn't help their case last time if I recall. In fact the general lessened overzealousness of said fanbase since 2008 began (in my opinion) should help to ease those anti-votes, so I wouldn't count out the Clannad characters entirely.

other then Kyou, i don't see any of the clannad girls making it very far. Sayuri's 3rd round finish is probably the best clannad fans can hope for. Unless Kyou winds up in a very weak bracket.

Daniel E. 2008-05-03 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 1573522)
other then Kyou, i don't see any of the clannad girls making it very far. Sayuri's 3rd round finish is probably the best clannad fans can hope for. Unless Kyou winds up in a very weak bracket.

Well, I personally feel that Tomoyo, Kotomi and Nagisa can make it just as far as Kyou.

Then again, it's all about the groups in the end. >_< !