AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I need help on a subject about Windows 98! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1323)

Caliban 2003-11-20 22:36

I need help on a subject about Windows 98!

This is the case:
A friend of mine recently tried to view some jpeg images on her computer and for some reason it gave an error saying that she needed a .exe program(strangely it didn't say which) to open such files. Well we both thought that maybe somehow Paint got uninstalled from Win98, but I can't confirm that as I don't have access to her PC and she isn't very PC savvy. So she thought that if she reinstalled Win98 that everything would be fine but a question raised to her and also me: If she Reinstalls Win98 will her files on the hard-drive be deleted? Can she pick the option to Repair rather than to Reinstall it?
I can't answer to those questions to her because I'm using WinXP.
Any help is apreciated, and thanks in advance!

Esperchld 2003-11-20 22:41

It depends on whether you are installing Windows 98 from OEM or Upgrade. OEM will wipe the drive clean, but I don't think that upgrade will.

You don't use Paint to open JPEGs in windows 98. You can use any web browser to do it though. I suggest using ACDsee or a similar program (ACDSee is what I use, but I have heard other people mention other programs that are just as good) to view pictures. Paint btw, is not uninstallable (well, not normally, there is a way to do it, but it is not worth doing).

Superchop 2003-11-21 00:05

Do you know what she used to open jpegs before?

example - I use IE (Internet Explorer) to open them...

btw...to reinstall paint should be relatively simple...

Go to
1. "Control Panel"
2. "Add/Remove Programs"
3. "Windows Setup"
3. Click on "Accessories" and click "Details"
if you go down you should see "Paint" with a check mark on the box right beside it...if it's not checked...then check it...and hit ok or apply...which ever...it might ask for the cd for it to be reinstalled...

Well at least that's the way it is with me...I hope that it works for you..

Dark Zero 2003-11-21 00:16

It's quite simple. Open a ANY folder, click on "view", then scroll down to 'folder options' - then click on the tab 'file types'. A new window opens, search there for the jpeg file extension and then associate it with IE, if its not there, just create the jpeg extension.

NinjaServ 2003-11-21 00:21

The problem is in the topic, the Windows 98 Virus, I suggest format and a handy install disc labled "Linux"

LOL

Dark Zero 2003-11-21 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaServ
The problem is in the topic, the Windows 98 Virus, I suggest format and a handy install disc labled "Linux"

LOL

It would have been funnier if you said AOL virus, and install any other ISP -_-

---or another way *easier*
Easy doesn't always work properly!
Right click the file, choose 'open with', a window opens, select IE )internet explorer) from the list, CHECK the 'always use this program to open'. That should do it the easy way.

moose_and_squirrel 2003-11-21 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaServ

LOL

but windows me is a much more malicious virus

Red HamsterX 2003-11-21 00:31

If I remember Windows 98 correctly, then by holding down Shift while right-clicking a file, a few extra options will be displayed.

Among them will be something that reads "Open with...".

Click that and choose a replacement program from the list.(While it's not the best choice, I'd suggest IE because it will be there, and it can handle JPEG images while still presenting an interface that your friend is probably comfortable with.)

Check the 'Always use this program to open this kind of file' box at the bottom of the dialog window, and the problem should be fixed.

(Although I do quite like NinjaServ's suggestion.) :D

moose_and_squirrel 2003-11-21 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Zero
It would have been funnier if you said AOL virus, and install any other ISP -_-

---or another way *easier*
Easy doesn't always work properly!
Right click the file, choose 'open with', a window opens, select IE )internet explorer) from the list, CHECK the 'always use this program to open'. That should do it the easy way.

the problem with that, is it wouldnt have made sense in this thread...

Superchop 2003-11-21 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red HamsterX
If I remember Windows 98 correctly, then by holding down Shift while right-clicking a file, a few extra options will be displayed.

:D thanks...i just learned another little thing that i'll most likely never use for windows...

btw...There's nothing wrong with Windows :p

Dark Zero 2003-11-21 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red HamsterX

Among them will be something that reads "Open with...".

Click that and choose a replacement program from the list.(While it's not the best choice, I'd suggest IE because it will be there, and it can handle JPEG images while still presenting an interface that your friend is probably comfortable with.)

Check the 'Always use this program to open this kind of file' box at the bottom of the dialog window, and the problem should be fixed.

(Although I do quite like NinjaServ's suggestion.) :D

Thats the same thing I said, you only need to use shift if the file itself already has a program associated with it, or unless you want to change its association. If its a file not attached to any program, just right clicking will get you there.

RavenChild 2003-11-21 01:10

1) Windows 98 lacks a repair option
2) 98 is outdated and you (or your friend) should at least have 2k Pro
3) AOL is bad
4) ME is equally bad if not worse

so my advice is to open it with internet explorer. jpegs were designed for internet use because not everyone can download 4 Mb bitmaps all the time. instead of 4Mb, jpeg takes it to 50Kb without a large loss of color.

Dark Zero 2003-11-21 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenChild
3) AOL is bad

so my advice is to open it with internet explorer. jpegs were designed for internet use because not everyone can download 4 Mb bitmaps all the time. instead of 4Mb, jpeg takes it to 50Kb without a large loss of color.

No no, 98ME is MUCH worse then 98, or 98se. I had a friend, like many years ago, do a CLEAN INSTALL with ME, and that damn OS kept crashing and doing odd things when running programs, and ever since that experience, I never saw it do anything better on any PC with ME.

Esperchld 2003-11-21 01:36

Windows ME is a joke. It COULDN'T be stabalized on my computer for more than 30 mins and even at that couldn't load video drivers for my video card. 95,98, and 2K all could do it just fine and stay stable for almost 14 days (I swear, 98 and 95 can't be up for 14 days with out crashing it seems).

Actually, I view windows 98SE as a VERY viable option. I only use 2K pro as my main boot because I need to have it up for days at a time, and 98 doesn't like to go weeks with out a reboot. XP and ME are not viable options in my eyes, nor is 95 (until I rebuild it, but that doesn't count).

NinjaServ 2003-11-21 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenChild
3) AOL is bad

w0w you fool, here is your homepage

Windows 98 SE is a more stable than 2k you dolt. Just becuase it is old does NOT mean it is bad. Windows 98 has to be Microsofts best OS so far (yes, better than XP too, XP has too many drawbacks, altho the features are nice:)). Learn what you are talking about, idiots like you are what make computer repair peopel possible so I guess they should thank you!!!

Princess_of_Hell 2003-11-21 08:41

Someone is still using Windows 98?

hhaamu 2003-11-21 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Someone is still using Windows 98?

Apparently, yes.

I remember a survey-ish thing, less than a year ago, which stated that 25% of the world use Win98, 5% Linux and 4% WinXP (can't remember the rest). And yes, that survey might've been fscked up.

And my suggestion to the thread is just leave Win98 as it is and install some good image viewing program. I suggest ACDSee Classic.

Shadowydreamer 2003-11-21 12:49

I installed Windows 98 on my computer. It was uninstalled roughly 9 days later. The SHORTEST span any Operating System has ever stayed on any of my systems. 2k is rock solid, the downside to it, however, is it's an NT derivitive, meant to be a server, not a workstation.. Which means if you use it for a gaming system, or whatever, it might do strange things.

For people who suggest Linux for everyone, I suggest they go find their nearest relative who can't program their VCR but can check their email (I have at least two myself.) and hand them a Linux install CD. Mandrake, Red Hat, even ye ole Coral linux, doesn't matter.

And now you will know why Linux is not an operating system for the non-computer savy. Or the type who don't have the TIME to learn a whole new operating system and research base.

I have two linux servers to give the basis of my knowledge and experience. (Been online since 1986. I am geek, hear me type!) So when I say thus, it's based on 17 years of experience : The best operating system, the best computer, is the one that does what you want it to do. If that's a commodore 64 with quickcount, then good for you!

-Shady.

Caliban 2003-11-21 15:31

Thanks for all your anwsers people!
You can keep on posting if you want.