AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anime with great dialogue (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85489)

thefeared 2009-08-23 16:28

Anime with great dialogue

I'm looking for some good anime with thoughtful and (probably) complicated dialogue. None of that cheesy, generic talk in most shows. I don't really care what genre it's in, as long as the dialogue is great.

Here is my list - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/controlmajortom

Honey and Clover (Both series), Death Note, and the KnK movies had some of the best dialogue I've seen in anime. I heard Monster was particularly thought provoking, so I'll watch that soon.

Guardian Enzo 2009-08-23 18:42

Based on your 10-rated shows, I credit you for your eclectic tastes. When I think of great dialogue I think of Seirei no Moribito, plain and simple. I forced a friend of mine in the film industry to watch it - he's a fairly skeptical guy when it comes to anime - and he was amazed at the dialogue. Episode 8 may have the best dialogue of any anime I can recall.

Others I'd rec:

Paranoia Agent
Mushishi
Ghost Hound
Minami-ke (seriously)
Zettai Shounen

thefeared 2009-08-23 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 2600100)
Based on your 10-rated shows, I credit you for your eclectic tastes.

Hehe, thank you, I think... Not sure whether if I should take that as a compliment. ;)

Quote:

When I think of great dialogue I think of Seirei no Moribito, plain and simple. I forced a friend of mine in the film industry to watch it - he's a fairly skeptical guy when it comes to anime - and he was amazed at the dialogue. Episode 8 may have the best dialogue of any anime I can recall.

I haven't watched many adventure anime's, but I will definitely check this one out.

Quote:

Others I'd rec:
Paranoia Agent
Mushishi
Ghost Hound
Minami-ke (seriously)
Zettai Shounen

Thanks for the reply, Paranoia Agent looks particularly interesting.

Izayoi 2009-08-23 19:08

Bakemonogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

I don't know meh, recommending some shinbo's work I guess.

Guardian Enzo 2009-08-23 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefeared (Post 2600121)
Hehe, thank you, I think... Not sure whether if I should take that as a compliment. ;)

You absolutely take it as one - that's how I meant it! It's always nice to see someone whose tastes don't limit them to one or two genres.

thefeared 2009-08-23 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 2600197)
You absolutely take it as one - that's how I meant it! It's always nice to see someone whose tastes don't limit them to one or two genres.

Hah~, thank you very much then. :) I like to give everything a chance.

iLney 2009-08-23 22:22

Everyone is missing the obvious: Kino's Journey....

signorRossi 2009-08-24 03:48

The most obvious for me would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes, LotGH. 110 episodes of dialogue mostly (besides some axe massacre ;) ). Second Mushishi ad Paranoia Agent, and yes, H&C was very good, especially the second season.

signorRossi.

Cipher 2009-08-24 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefeared (Post 2600408)
Hah~, thank you very much then. :) I like to give everything a chance.

Ehem...even yaoi and yuri? seconding Kino no Tabi.

andromeda0201 2009-08-24 07:33

If you don't mind slightly dated animation, I'd recommend the Crest, Banner of the stars saga, it has a great story, intelligent dialogue and the characters are wonderful... especially Lafiel who has a very sharp tongue, though most of her sentences are shaped in an elegant way. In fact, I'd say even the taunts and normal everyday sentences are done in a really good way.

Next up, you can try Noein , the main characters are kids but its a very good sci-fi thinking series, though some people are put off by the quantum physics overblow

I'm not sure whether this is what you are looking for but Saiunkoku Monogatari has its moments, especially during the times when Shuurei is having some debate or appealing to the higher officers.

Pocari_Sweat 2009-08-24 07:54

My definition of good dialogue is good or interesting character interaction.
For that Spice and Wolf wins that award for me.

Bakemonogatari is an anime I'm watching atm that is rivaling it.

SeijiSensei 2009-08-24 09:03

I'm not sure what constitutes "cheesy generic talk," but I'll toss out a few other shows starting with Kure-nai and Dennou Coil. The script for Kure-nai is consistently witty and remarkably well-acted, though as one poster in the Kure-nai thread put it, it sometimes seems like seven-year-old Murasaki is channeling a forty year old. Dennou Coil's script and story is quite complex even though the main characters are just ten.

The script for Bartender borders on the melodramatic at times, but the stories it tells are consistently interesting, especially if you're an adult.

Finally I'll suggest the recent mystery show, Mouryou no Hako. At times it gets a bit didactic, with some rather long discussions of various mystical practices, but it's worth checking out. All but one episode has been subbed; I suspect Shinkun and Aoi will be releasing the finale in the weeks ahead.

AnimeFan188 2009-08-24 21:16

Bakemonogatari

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10196

has some decent dialogue.

thefeared 2009-08-24 22:00

Thanks for all the recommendations! Bakemonogatari is actually one that I've wanted to see for awhile, but I don't like watching an ongoing series, so I'm going to download that one when it's over.

Telmah 2009-08-24 23:30

I guess I draw a line between dialogue being realistic and having interesting themes expressed in dialogue.

I thought Haibane Renmei for example had really complicated dialogue but it wasn't anything I'd expect to see people talk like in real life. From what I've seen of Mushishi or Bartender...are those type of shows, very deep but also unrealistic. I didn't know what to make of Spice and Wolf, with its heavy talk about economics, however, the dialogue is very witty and the plot is very unlike what I thought it would be--it's completely character driven and there's seldom in action at all--it works very well to see different characters reacting and interacting. The second season but not the first of Higurashi, had a few really memorable and interesting discussions. I'll also add Welcome to the NHK, there was something about how the main character interacts with people that makes him crazy, but likeable, but his converstations with Misaki were very compelling to me in particular.

I'll strongly second Seiji Sensei's suggestion of Kure-nai--it has really realistic dialogue--with characters interrupting each other and the flow being really natural. Again like the other poster, Murasaki is a bit too wise for her years, but she still makes very inexperienced mistakes and doesn't understand how society works in some ways, which is very child-like--she's also very adaptive and the character development is unparalleled...usually if a character changes something once a season, you call that development, but literally you have to look at an episode by episode nature. Zettai Shonen, I'll also second on these grounds, with the dialogue being very much how people talk.

Sorrow-K 2009-08-24 23:45

Coincidentally I just wrote an article about this very topic: http://behind-the.nihonreview.com/20...reat-dialogue/

There are some suggestions in the "comments" section (as well as an interesting discussion), so maybe those might be helpful.