AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam - Requests for new threads (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=58387)

xris 2007-11-24 07:54

Gundam - Requests for new threads

Since the Gundam forum is limited (only Mods and Admin can create new threads), this thread serves as a way to request a new thread to be created.

Please post here if you wish to request a new Gundam thread. Please bear in mind that we will only accept reasonable requests, we wish to maintain the focus within the forum and cut down on the noise (so no pointless threads cluttering up the place).

Don't forget that you may still post in existing threads as usual, the only restriction is that you may not create new threads within this particular forum.

GoldAlchemist 2007-11-25 12:46

Can we have a poll about "Which of the four Gundam Meisters would die first?" It's probably interesting to try to guess now since we haven't seen any death flag raised yet.

xris 2007-11-25 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist (Post 1270345)
Can we have a poll about "Which of the four Gundam Meisters would die first?" It's probably interesting to try to guess now since we haven't seen any death flag raised yet.

Isn't this just going to attract all sort of "xxx must die" whinge and whine posts? If there is going to be actual discussion about it, fair enough but I suspect a topic like that it will just attract to much negative issues (but it does help by saying "Who would die" instead of "Who should die" :) ). What do others think about such a topic?

Dean_the_Young 2007-11-25 20:51

Perhaps rather than "Gundam Meisters", just say "Who in 00" to make it more inclusive.

How about a "most underrated characters" thread, where people can argue for the traditionally least popular, rather than the most popular characters?

Klashikari 2007-11-26 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young (Post 1270894)
Perhaps rather than "Gundam Meisters", just say "Who in 00" to make it more inclusive.

How about a "most underrated characters" thread, where people can argue for the traditionally least popular, rather than the most popular characters?

Personally, I was already quite skeptical for a "favourite character" poll, as it is really too early for any serious character developments for most of them.

The reversed point isn't exactly something I would think worthy, as it wouldn't be surprising if people begin to vote for the character they care the least, or they hate the most.
Seriously, it doesn't add much weight, and it would require a tedious coverage, as it need scope. Without that, people might vote for everyone and anyone, such like nameless grunts etc. (well... are there any grunt not unpopular in gundam franchise? :heh:).

That said, it is only my opinion, but I'm not really sold by the idea, nor by the timing.

Skyfall 2007-11-26 16:11

Considering how fragmented the series has been regarding its focus on characters, i would say it is too early for any type of character polls. We have barely started to learn some more background information about some of them (while still not knowing anything about others), so i would say waiting at least a couple episodes would be a good idea. Considering it seems we are starting to dwell on the characters a bit, i feel the next few episodes might prove a much better ground for discussions than the situation is now.

One thing i can promise is a favorite character poll around episode 12-13, and a second one after episode 25. As for "underappreciated" character poll - that might be a good idea in a week or two, will likely create it then :)

Mr_Paper 2007-11-26 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young (Post 1270894)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyfall (Post 1272051)
One thing i can promise is a favorite character poll around episode 12-13, and a second one after episode 25. As for "underappreciated" character poll - that might be a good idea in a week or two, will likely create it then :)

Threads like that are best left alone until a series has run its course, in my opinion.

Only seven episodes into a series which should run to fifty-two after the break, no one is in any position to argue which characters are over or underrated. Heck, at this point there are most likely several key or major characters which have yet to even be introduced. I stand by my opinion that those types of threads are best left until a series has ended and we can actually make a reasonable measure of the character's contributions, merits and worth.

Also, as a more personal comment, not every thread needs a poll. I've always found that the conversation gets more interesting when one has explain their opinion rather than select an option, vote and contribute nothing more than a name on a list to a thread.

Skyfall 2007-11-26 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Paper (Post 1272259)
Threads like that are best left alone until a series has run its course, in my opinion.

Having two character polls for series that span 2 cours is a pretty common practice ;) One poll during the middle of a show, so that people can express their opinion of characters halfway through the series, and a final poll once the series has ended - for final impressions and take on all the characters.

Dean_the_Young 2007-11-27 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Paper (Post 1272259)

Only seven episodes into a series which should run to fifty-two after the break, no one is in any position to argue which characters are over or underrated. Heck, at this point there are most likely several key or major characters which have yet to even be introduced. I stand by my opinion that those types of threads are best left until a series has ended and we can actually make a reasonable measure of the character's contributions, merits and worth.

Also, as a more personal comment, not every thread needs a poll. I've always found that the conversation gets more interesting when one has explain their opinion rather than select an option, vote and contribute nothing more than a name on a list to a thread.

Actually, I didn't even consider a poll for the "most underrated" thread, or even that it be necessarily a 00 thread. I could do a fair deal on Jerid and the Titans, my favorite villain group of gundam, despite how most people see him as a clown. I'm not used to character polls period, but rather more open-ended threads without a real measure.

Which is what I think your last paragraph was touching on.

LightningZERO 2007-11-28 05:04

Maybe we need a Gundam 00 ratings thread to discuss its weekly ratings and how well it does in Japan?

monster 2007-11-28 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningZERO (Post 1274433)
Maybe we need a Gundam 00 ratings thread to discuss its weekly ratings and how well it does in Japan?

I'm not sure it's needed. We get that info on just about every episode thread and discussions about that (and there's not many) could happen there without being off topic.

xris 2007-11-28 06:07

I woudl agree. Posting the weekly TV ratings in the appropriate Episode Discussion thread would seem on-topic as would be related discussion about the ratings.

Cherudim Arche 2007-11-30 00:46

How about a thread on gundam fanservice? At least it won't float around in every new episode of gundam 00 including the fan art.:rolleyes:

Skyfall 2007-11-30 04:24

Sorry, no :rolleyes: If an episode contains fanservice, i see no reason why the episode thread would be unsuitable to discuss it. Rather the opposite - if episode X has fanservice, the episode X thread is the exact place to praise or condemn it.

Terrestrial Dream 2007-11-30 17:12

I would like to request either "Favorite leaders in Gundam" thread or "Favorite female leaders in Gundam" with poll.

xris 2007-11-30 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream (Post 1277934)
I would like to request either "Favorite leaders in Gundam" thread or "Favorite female leaders in Gundam" with poll.

Doesn't the Favourite Gundam TV Series Lead poll cover this?

As to a generic Gundam poll, I would think there are too many options. It's best to keep the max number of choices to something like 16-20, beyond that isn't that practical. Is it possible to narrow the number of candidates down to that if you want to include all the Gundam series.

Terrestrial Dream 2007-11-30 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 1277946)
Doesn't the Favourite Gundam TV Series Lead poll cover this?

As to a generic Gundam poll, I would think there are too many options. It's best to keep the max number of choices to something like 16-20, beyond that isn't that practical. Is it possible to narrow the number of candidates down to that if you want to include all the Gundam series.

No, I mean leader, not a TV lead, but like the leader of different Gundam faction. Such as Haman, Lacus, Gihren, and other leaders. And Yeah if I do all the leader would be too much, so I think narrowing down only to female leader would be the best.
So for the poll it should be Kycilia Zabi, Haman Karn, Relena Peacecraft, Dianna Soreil, Lacus Cylne, Cagalli Yula Athha, Cecily Fairchild, Maria Pia Armonia(debatable), and maybe few more but I can't remember them all.

xris 2007-11-30 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream (Post 1277968)
So for the poll it should be Kycilia Zabi, Haman Karn, Relena Peacecraft, Dianna Soreil, Lacus Cylne, Cagalli Yula Athha, Cecily Fairchild, Maria Pia Armonia(debatable), and maybe few more but I can't remember them all.

Several things are needed then (note: this is open to anyone, not just Terrestrial Dream).

First, a definitive list of candidates.
Second, a decent opening post that will encourage positive discussion.
Third, someone will need to convince me that such a thread will contain actual discussion and not just one-liners (I like XXX, my fav is XXX, etc.) or hate posts (I hate XXX, XXX is a #@$%).

We prefer that if a poll is created it's for the purpose of encouraging discussion (not rants, whinges or whines).

Terrestrial Dream 2007-11-30 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 1278019)
Several things are needed then (note: this is open to anyone, not just Terrestrial Dream).

First, a definitive list of candidates.
Second, a decent opening post that will encourage positive discussion.
Third, someone will need to convince me that such a thread will contain actual discussion and not just one-liners (I like XXX, my fav is XXX, etc.) or hate posts (I hate XXX, XXX is a #@$%).

We prefer that if a poll is created it's for the purpose of encouraging discussion (not rants, whinges or whines).

Hmm...as thought over I think having both female and male might work. Since if I do only female or male only, it might be too one sided. So instead I pick both male and female leaders.
1. Gihren Zabi
2. Paptimus Scirocco (maybe not, I think this could be debatable)
3. Haman Karn
4. Jamitov Hymem
5. Char Aznable
6. Zechs Merquise
7. Relena Peacecraft
8. Treize Khushrenada
9. Dianna Soreil
10. Lacus Cylne
11. Cagalli Yula Athha
12. Gilbert Durandal
13. Kihel Heim
14. Cecily Fairchild
15. Others.
For opening I am sure someone could write a better one, but for general idea would this be good enough xris?

"This thread is to discuss only who is your favorite character and state reasons why do you like these leaders, reasons such as their background, their ideal, or their characteristic in general. "

And this thread I don't think there will be much bashing, since it's only made to discuss their favorite leader and why. Of course I might be a optimistic here, but since I think having "why" in the title, it will be more then one liners.

Dean_the_Young 2007-12-01 11:58

Here's something that could be fun(ny).

"Who's the best Kaptain Kirk character of the cartoon love catastrophe that is Gundam?"

What do Jerid, Scirocco, Amura, Kamille, and Char have in common? All their women get whacked, of course! Who do you think has best redefined Captain Kirk Syndrome in Gundam?

etc. etc. etc.

Like it?