AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Where do I start with Tenchi (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=86276)

billborden 2009-09-14 13:30

Where do I start with Tenchi

Although I've been wandering around in the Anime universe for almost 2 decades, I have managed to miss the epic collection of shows that make up Tenchi Muyo (in my early days, I was looking for horror, tentacles or any combination of the two--I've since moved on). Looking at it now, I have to ask--Where do I start? There is the original series of OVA's, two major alternate tellings and a handful of other miscellanea. Other than "grind through everything in the order of release", where is the best place to start to understand the canon discussions/common references from the series?

Scorch 2009-09-14 16:14

I'd start with the OAVs first, at least the first two of them (I've heard bad things about the third but haven't seen it myself). Then watch Universe. Don't watch Tenchi in Tokyo at all :p

BetoJR 2009-09-14 17:56

I'd say: start with the Ryououki OVA series (the third one isn't all that bad, really - but you could leave it for later, tho), then watch Tenchi Universe and proceed to the movies - the third one in particular (Tenchi Muyou! in Love 2 - Haruka Naru Omoi) is a favorite of mine, but that may be due to my personal bias for Ryoko; in any event, it's quite a different portrayal of the characters, in a more (arguably) mature setting.

As Scorch said, I'd stay away from Tenchi in Tokyo, if I were you. Yeah, it's that bad. :heh:

Sackett 2009-09-14 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorch (Post 2644563)
I'd start with the OAVs first, at least the first two of them (I've heard bad things about the third but haven't seen it myself). Then watch Universe. Don't watch Tenchi in Tokyo at all :p

This is decent advice.

Tenchi in Tokyo is just... torture. Especially if you've seen the others.

Tenchi Universe has the advantage of a long time to tell the story, so I think the stroyline is fleshed out better, but it distorts the characters quite a bit- particularly Aeka, and Mihoshi (mainly because of the addition of Kiyone- who is a fan favorite), but the others also get reduced to cardboard cutouts on occasion. The art is also weaker.

Start with the OVAs. It has the best representation of why Aeka and Tenchi get along, as well as the conflict between Washu and Ryoko, with Mihoshi as a more interesting character- and Sasami as much more mischievous and interesting too.

Basically the characters are better, and the artwork too.

I'd say watch at least the first OVA series: Episodes 1-6, plus episode 7 "The Night Before the Carnival" special. Then watch the "Mihoshi Special" (my personal favorite of the series). At that point you can either continue on to the OVA 2 and OVA 3 series, or go watch the Tenchi Universe series. (The OVA 3 series wasn't bad, just the fans were ticked off when after waiting 8 years they get an OVA series that doesn't resolve the plot hook from OVA 2 series, and to many people only complicated everything further- so basically no story progression). OVA 2 does have some big revelations about Washu and Sasami though, so without it you'll be missing out on some big references commonly made about those characters.

Tenchi Universe is more slapstick, but is worth watching at the very least for Kiyone (Mihoshi's long suffering partner- introduced to us in the Mihoshi Special) and the Adventures Through Space And Time episodes (for which you need to see the OVA before getting some of the jokes).

If you like either Magical Girl anime or parodies of Magical Girl anime you can then check out the Pretty Sammy spin off.

Edit: List of OVA epiodes

NoLongerSane 2009-09-14 23:21

Pretty much what has been stated in this thread: Start with the OVA's. If you are looking for a full season series feel, then try Tenchi Universe. As for Tenchi in Tokyo, flip a coin on that one.

billborden 2009-09-15 02:16

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks to everyone for the info; I've got 2 weeks of Vacation (that's research, if my boss is reading) coming up, so I'll wade in.

kenjiharima 2009-09-15 05:12

If your also at it try also watching another Tenchi Franchise called Tenchi Muyo GPX. Our old heroes make omake appearances here, since there is a new protagonist. You'll still see Ryoko and Tenchi here.

For best enjoyment of this series Tenchi Muyo Universe TV series is a must watch.

The OVA's are great...too bad it hasn't ended yet...

Also avoid Tenchi in Tokyo and the Tenchi Movie2 they left a BIG scar on this series.

-chii- 2009-09-15 18:19

THIS is how i watched the entire series so it might help you as well :)

Washu-Chan 2010-07-28 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjiharima (Post 2645703)
Also avoid Tenchi in Tokyo and the Tenchi Movie2 they left a BIG scar on this series.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Tenchi in Tokyo is the Batman Forever of the Tenchi series: you'll either love it or hate it. It's my second favorite of the Tenchi series, after the first two OAVs.

DragoZERO 2010-07-28 13:05

I'd just watch them in order of their release. I remember watching them on CN way back when and they were pretty funny. But if you are going to go for what's important, then follow the above posts.

I do remember liking Tenchi in Tokyo though. It had a really nice twist to it.

Shiroth 2010-07-28 13:27

Tenchi in Tokyo is easily my favorite out of the lot, so it just goes to show you how much i've had to defend it over the years. :p

This thread makes me wanna rewatch the franchise. I might just do that.

Sackett 2010-07-28 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by billborden (Post 2645524)
Thanks to everyone for the info; I've got 2 weeks of Vacation (that's research, if my boss is reading) coming up, so I'll wade in.

Since this thread popped up again, I'm curious as to how your research came out.

DragoZERO 2010-07-29 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sackett (Post 3163644)
Since this thread popped up again, I'm curious as to how your research came out.

Oh snap. This thread is almost a year old! :heh:

This is one forum where bumping is unnecessary, lol.

Washu-Chan 2010-07-31 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 3163045)
Tenchi in Tokyo is easily my favorite out of the lot, so it just goes to show you how much i've had to defend it over the years. :p

This thread makes me wanna rewatch the franchise. I might just do that.

I guess that I'm not the only one who thinks that Tenchi in Tokyo is decent.

Like I said, it is to the Tenchi series as Batman Forever is to the Batman films.