AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Kanon (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Kanon - 2006 - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=39507)

Catgirls 2006-11-29 08:25

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Zaris 2006-11-29 14:49

I'm not sure what to really expect here. In my mind, Makoto could literally go both ways. She could kick the bucket this (or next) episode, or she could continue to present herself throughout the series in a seriously handicapped way. People were right though, despite the many ways she failed as a decent human being, her excuse was blatant (or latent) in episode 8, and I can kind of pity her now.

I'm more curious to know the context in which Nayuki wishes she had been more considerate for something. It's not like her to be so worried, so...

orion 2006-11-30 04:22

I'm hoping for some Ayu scenes. A little bit of cheerfulness goes a long way. Besides, I'll go into uguu withdrawal otherwise. ;)

Cyz 2006-11-30 14:37

I didn't hear "uguu" from the last episode. Now I'm beginning to miss Ayu too :heh: I hope that we can see Ayu from this episode again. Episode 9 screenshots courtesy of Random Curiosity
Spoiler:

panzerfan 2006-11-30 16:23

This episode is... the point that explains exactly what had transpired and how for Makoto to come after Yuiichi after all these years.

Akiko-san knew the moment that she sees the bells afterall.
I... don't think I can say anymore other than that by the point Makoto mentions about marriage, my heart sank.

The next episode will feature... Makoto being introduced to Amano, the sticker shot and... I suppose the title sums it all up.

The Requiem on top of the hill.

KenOhki'sRage 2006-11-30 17:12

Sigh, I really really like Makoto this time around. This episode fills her character out perfectly. I'm tired of giving out 10s by the way, can I give out a few 11s for awhile then go back to 10s? Seriously though, this is a very tender episode and I'm very greatful for the way Kyoto Animation is handling the story.

I never finished Makoto's story in the game, I guess I should go back now and do hers I've just been enjoying Tokimemo 2 lately.

Spoiler:

Meophist 2006-11-30 22:41

This episode just seems so sureal. It's like my mind doesn't want to understand what's going on.

Thelastguardian 2006-11-30 22:58

Hmmm

Spoiler for 9:

Cyz 2006-11-30 23:02

Spoiler:

Vexx 2006-11-30 23:24

gah.. my chest already hurts and I haven't even seen the episode yet.
Must... get... some... air... ... o wait, aieee!

Ascaloth 2006-12-01 00:45

Okay. These are the times when I really, REALLY hate the fact that I have to wait for the subs to appear before I can watch a new episode...

Deathkillz 2006-12-01 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascaloth (Post 755097)
Okay. These are the times when I really, REALLY hate the fact that I have to wait for the SS-Eclipse subs before I can watch a new episode...

or you can watch the raw...but heck thats no fun when you get to the climax of something...needs to be fully understood first thing >.< thats why im biting my tongue not to watch the raw even tho its been tempting me for ages on my desktop grr! >.<

houkoholic 2006-12-01 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelastguardian (Post 755016)
Hmmm

Spoiler for 9:

Spoiler:

Sushi-Y 2006-12-01 02:17

So they're giving Makoto 2 episodes for this...

Probably the quietest episode yet, although they were aiming for it. For any fan who's familiar with Makoto's route, this episode probably meant 20 odd minutes of slow heartache. :(

Spoiler:

They also neatly portrayed other characters' reactions as well. Akiko-san and Nayuki, in particular, were really nicely done. Nayuki's complicated expressions were really great.

Well, next episode will be it. I'm dreading forward(?) to it.

Now then, just how long can Yuuichi keep his feelings platonic in the anime, I wonder?

panzerfan 2006-12-01 03:05

The degradation occurs most noticeably with the 100 yen shop scene (to me anyway) but the close-up remain mostly just fine. Eye positions did get a bit awkward in a a few scenes but it really took me on the fourth watching to specifically spot these out. Somehow it feels as if KyoAni is trying to prioritize where they put the budget on a shot by shot basis. Background however remain staggering. I notice even ice buildup and not just the snow in the bridge scene in particular.

Yuiichi's maturity is really something. The way how he is handling the situation makes me think that he is one of the top male leads of the year. He shows a level of complexity as a character that I can identify with. He telling Akiko and Nayuki about the situation, he talking to Amano about the matter but still sensitive to her circumstances and how he interacts with Makoto really makes for an impression on me.

The subtlety in Amano's discussion with Yuiichi, with how she tightens her grip on the handlebar and her struggling to hold her emotion gives me a totally different outlook on Amano... never like so even in game nor in the previous anime incarnation.

Again, the depth of Akiko-san's emotions remain elusive. She talks of the subject matter with such calmness. I hope that the next episode can reveal with what kind of feelings in her is Akiko-san managing the whole situation from behind the spotlight.

Mental regression was also animated in AIR TV, with Kamio Haruko faring far worse emotionally than Yuiichi. I wonder how Yuiichi and the Minase will fare coming out of this...

Zaris 2006-12-01 03:20

Interesting episode. They all are so far. Good thing I know enough Japanese to hear a level above a gist to understand general plot and extra details. I'll still want to see a translation in coming days where it's more crystal clear.

I actually glanced a little at houkoholic's spoilers but I won't spoil anything here regarding plot. If I can comment on the animation this episode, I didn't notice a change the first time viewing it through. I did notice, however, a suspicious tooth on her upper jaw whenever she opened her mouth in some scenes. Perhaps a sign? But through and through, the animation remained pretty steady and the producers weren't lazy to create still backgrounds like so often was the case in early anime.

Regarding Makoto, I didn't like the way she was before, but I don't like what she has become now either. This is not a pity statement; I just don't like the way she is being portrayed here in episode 9. I guess the point I'm trying to get across comes with mixed feelings again, as some parts I liked and some parts made my stomach tie up in a knot. But it's not to say I don't empathize.

Spoiler for details on my Makoto gripe:

Juxtaposing the above spoiler with a tone of voice I find slightly irritating, and you get a sense of why I dislike Makoto as a character, more so than before. She had so much potential to grow, and when the news hit in episode 8, I really thought that would push the relationship between her and Yuuichi in the time that they had left. But episode 9's delivery was too fast and too unbelievable. They cut her character down without allocating any time to see how each gradual step to mental retardedness would affect the characters around her. So wild was the result that I could not believe any of it. And in the end, we're left with a body that no longer changes and no longer thinks for itself. Makoto has become little more than a pet that craves attention - not much different than when we had first seen her in episode two. The circumstances that eluded to all this no longer seems fathomable to me anymore.

In short, this episode failed to willingly suspend my disbelief for what I saw. The show's ending backfired everything, and Makoto never really changed at all.

houkoholic 2006-12-01 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaris (Post 755192)
Spoiler for details on my Makoto gripe:

Spoiler:

New/Old 2006-12-01 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by houkoholic (Post 755206)
Spoiler:

Heh heh. houkoholic certainly knows very much. Heh heh. :) I can say I agree with that.

Klashikari 2006-12-01 12:38

the slow yet agonizing heartache keeps going... *sigh* "requiem" as the next episode name... *faint laughs* i think we will have to prepare some tissue boxes ~~

right, it's always the same thing : kudos to the seyuu and pretty nice camera angle and focus (Mishio's tale and Makoto's marriage were perfectly captionned)

like you said, the sakuga quality and animation weren't really at top nocht, but it's beyond bearable, indeed :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by houkoholic (Post 755206)
Spoiler:

can't agree more with this m( _ _ )m.
as a side note, do you mean the "oedipe complex" for your psychology term?

guuchan 2006-12-01 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyz (Post 754584)
Spoiler:

Spoiler: