AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Mabinogi Heroes / Vindictus (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=94792)

l0stw0lf 2008-03-12 21:34

Mabinogi Heroes / Vindictus

Hey guys, check out this game i've found, it's very addicting!! Check otu the promo video and post what you think!

http://mabifiles.nexon.net/movies/op...ed_video_2.swf :)

nadare 2008-03-12 23:43

Tried it, liked it. But, its too lag to play if you are outside US(using proxy). I can barely kill monsters that are lower level than me lol.

NoSanninWa 2008-03-13 01:28

You should probably have posted a link to make things easier for people to try it out. Here.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/

Anyway, I haven't tried it yet. What did you like about it? Why was it addicting? What makes it better than, or at least distinct from, the other 2000 net games? Do I have to pay to play?

cicido 2008-03-13 02:10

Just created a character, thoughts:

The concept seemed interesting, you can say that it's just one of the many fantasy MMO, but it stood out for me.

The art is really beautiful. If you are in to anime style. (Well duh)

I liked how you can chose your starting age, so I made myself a loli again.

Didn't start doing a lot of battles so no comment on that.

The game was a bit slow for my artifact computer so I might be doing a clean-up tomorrow.

Duo Maxwell 2008-03-13 13:15

Quote:

Anyway, I haven't tried it yet. What did you like about it? Why was it addicting? What makes it better than, or at least distinct from, the other 2000 net games? Do I have to pay to play?
Here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hideki-Motosuwa on Hongfire
Not your typical MMORPG indeed. If you become serious about this game, you can pretty much call this your 2nd life on the net cause that's how it will feel like. Characters age in this game each week and what you do in this game affects you. Levels don't matter when it comes to combat. It all comes down to you knowing what to do and your combat skill levels.

Basically, you can do and be whomever you want. Be lean and mean or just be a titanic fat slob of a fighter.....literally. You don't have to fight to gain levels in this game but its highly not recommended to go this route. Do anything you want from the following:

- Become a cook
- Miner
- Adventurer
- Farmer
- Tailor
- Blacksmith
- Explorer
- Musician
- Song Producer

And so many other things as to there is no limit to what you can be. Unfortunately, the US server will also start at Generation 1 as the other servers are now at Generation 6 or 7. After playing on the Taiwan server for quite a while, expect many wonderful things to come in the future updates after this game goes full release.....just pray that rebirth cards and premium services don't cost so much nexon points.

This game is for North America players only, though :(. I heard that using this software, you can play it, but I haven't tried it yet.
http://anchorfree.com/support/hotspot-shield/

krisslanza 2008-03-13 14:03

I got into Closed Beta for this... But I was grounded for it so I couldn't actually play it. /lame

It looks fun though but I have yet to try it out. The games graphic style attracted me... The only thing I'll dislike is its run by Nexon.

Nexon are evil pricks who make you pay them cold, hard cash to look different.

Bokunenjin 2008-03-13 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisslanza (Post 1458415)

Compared to most other companies that make you pay cold, hard cash to play at all they're not that bad. Not to mention you have to be pretty damn stupid to pay money to look different in a game anyway.

Mabinogi is decent enough as far as free grinding games go. But obviously that's not saying much.

Micchi 2008-03-13 23:36

It's not really a grinding game that much. You don't have to grind if you don't want to. Its combat system takes some getting used to though. There's a lot of things that you can do, aside from the usual dungeon runs for MMOs.

bkg9990 2008-03-14 00:21

@Duo Maxwell: nice to see you around this parts :p

anways, what server are you guys playing? I've already created on the 1st server but Im planning to make on the 2nd.

Duo Maxwell 2008-03-14 01:40

Oh ho. So you're here, too :D.
When I have chance, I'll join you guy. On 2nd server, too.

Asamidori 2008-03-14 03:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisslanza (Post 1458415)

Unless NA Nexon is determinded to change it, not gonna happen here. (Unless you consider those different face features available for picking upon using a premium character card "looking different". =\ )

This game's battle system takes more than just your usual normal "hit and wait for it to die" in most other games. You actually need good reflex and timing to get anything done. Leveling also doesn't help you much when you fight, it's all more about how well you know the battle animation and/or how good you can react to the different actions.

dahl_moon 2008-03-14 09:17

I was a big fan of Mabinogi before my big move to the States, so I'm quite happy that Nexon started NA service (intercontinental lag kills the fun). I guess I'll try to do a quick summary of what I like about it.
  • Combat System As Asamidori says, the combat system relies quite heavilly on timing and reflexes. There's a system of which action works against which, so blind mouse clicking will leave you on the floor. Say, if the monster is using "defense," doesn't matter how strong you are, a blind click will knock you down (you need to use "smash").
  • Fantasy Life™ This is what I like about Mabinogi. I don't have quick reflexes anyway, so combat sytems interest me only so much (although I do like Mabinogi's version). Mabinogi feels similar to Ultima Online, where a large portion of the gaming population "does nothing." The game tries to encourage player interaction a lot. So, at least in the Korean servers, a lot of people will sit down and chat over the camp fire, show off cooking skills or sense of clothing fashion, play music, or organize an impromptu play. Cosplay is also popular.
  • Art Cute and pretty, like anime! Not to mention the scenery is quite gorgeous (I don't mean photo-realistic). There's a lot of hidden "photo spots," where players will go and take "pictures"

As you might have noticed, the culture within the game is rather unique. It's still up in the air whether this type of culture will grow in NA servers, though. Spring break is next week, so I guess I'll create an account soon (I need to install Windows somewhere...)

krisslanza 2008-03-14 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokunenjin (Post 1458952)
Compared to most other companies that make you pay cold, hard cash to play at all they're not that bad. Not to mention you have to be pretty damn stupid to pay money to look different in a game anyway.

Mabinogi is decent enough as far as free grinding games go. But obviously that's not saying much.

I'd rather pay cold hard cash to play a game where I can get everything inside the game for free rather then paying cold hard cash for a cosmetic change or a item I need to re-buy every 3 months. :nono:

It does sound interesting though. It reminds me of DOMO in that its trying to encourage player interaction.

Ledgem 2008-03-14 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahl_moon (Post 1459952)
  • Fantasy Life™ This is what I like about Mabinogi. I don't have quick reflexes anyway, so combat sytems interest me only so much (although I do like Mabinogi's version). Mabinogi feels similar to Ultima Online, where a large portion of the gaming population "does nothing." The game tries to encourage player interaction a lot. So, at least in the Korean servers, a lot of people will sit down and chat over the camp fire, show off cooking skills or sense of clothing fashion, play music, or organize an impromptu play. Cosplay is also popular.

You're an ex-UO player too? This aspect was the most addicting part of UO, and it's something that you don't really see in modern MMORPGs anymore: being able to do things besides fighting-related activities. It was terribly addictive.

I like the art style quite a bit (reminds me of Yogurting, just a bit snazzier) and I'm pleased to see that they're incorporating the "fantasy life" aspect. I promised myself that after UO I'd never touch another MMORPG like it again. Good thing this game requires DirectX 9.0c and I'm using a Mac these days, otherwise I might've had a hard time keeping that promise :)

krisslanza 2008-03-14 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledgem (Post 1460620)
You're an ex-UO player too? This aspect was the most addicting part of UO, and it's something that you don't really see in modern MMORPGs anymore: being able to do things besides fighting-related activities. It was terribly addictive.

I like the art style quite a bit (reminds me of Yogurting, just a bit snazzier) and I'm pleased to see that they're incorporating the "fantasy life" aspect. I promised myself that after UO I'd never touch another MMORPG like it again. Good thing this game requires DirectX 9.0c and I'm using a Mac these days, otherwise I might've had a hard time keeping that promise :)

We must now clearly ship you a new computer to test your willpower...

Ledgem 2008-03-14 17:39

I have no objection to that :D Quad-core please!

dahl_moon 2008-03-14 23:29

Quote:

Yes, for some reason, I LOVED playing Ultima Online. I don't even remember why I put so much time into blacksmithing. It's probably the first online game I got addicted to, and it was right during college entrance exams (you know how important those are in Korea). All my lunch and dinner money went into PC cafes (mom still doesn't know, thankfully:D). If you liked UO, you'll like Mabinogi.
Quote:

I've gotten rid of my Windows partition for the past year (on Linux only at the moment), and this is the first time I'm considering reinstalling my OS:heh:

GATX207_Blitz 2008-08-17 03:25

:o if there are players still playing on these forums we should play :O Generation 3 is right around the corner, which means the removal of the skill caps and more mainstream content :O

PS NoSanninWa will never play Mabinogi b/c he loves kingdom of loathing X(

Coruja 2008-08-17 15:36

I have been wanting to play this one for a long time, however the Hotspot Shield trick doesn't work for me (I'm european).

HashiriyaR32 2008-08-17 17:58

Is there a date of release for an English version of "Mabinogi Heroes"? Since it's on Valve's Source Engine, ME WANT factor is high.