AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Great battle scenes (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106486)

yellowscarves 2011-08-23 20:45

Great battle scenes

Lately I've been craving for some fighting in the form of anime. Be it humans or giant humanoid robots, I'm looking for an anime that has some great, serious battle scenes. Lovable characters and good character development are a huge plus.

Titles I've seen in the past and loved (at least partly) due to great battle scenes include: The Dragon Ball series, Naruto, Inu-Yasha, Gundam Seed, Gintama (particularly the main arcs), Full Metal Panic (both raids), Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, Evangelion, both Full Metal Alchemist series, and Gurren Lagann.

Titled I've tried and did not enjoy: Fairy Tale, Code Geass.

Akito Kinomoto 2011-08-23 21:35

I'm going to recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode so hard for this topic. Excellent character development and a story that doesn't waste a single minute all topped off by what is perhaps some of the slickest fight choreography out there.

Elegance 2011-08-23 22:14

Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari-not serious in the middle.
Eureka Seven-decent fighting, i like the development

btw have you watched Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal?

NervZero 2011-08-23 23:30

Heroic Age about humans who find their savior and being an epic struggle against another great power.

4Tran 2011-08-23 23:55

If you're looking for great fight scenes, you're probably going to have more luck with movies than TV shows. Sword of the Stranger is a very good place to start. The story isn't all that in-depth, but the action is top-notch.

If you haven't watched the Gurren Lagann movies, they've got some good additional scenes as well.

Ermes Marana 2011-08-24 01:24

Samurai Champloo has some awesome fight scenes.

Read or Die OVA has an interesting type of fighting. The TV is good too.

Hunter X Hunter fits well with your list of shows you liked.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2011-08-24 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowscarves (Post 3740150)
Titled I've tried and did not enjoy: Fairy Tale, Code Geass.

Same here. :D

BTW, have you seen Diebuster/Top o Nerae 2 (Aim for the Top 2)? It's a mecha anime which is a second season of the previous one LONG ago, but the story itself is a standalone. It has great (almost crazy) battle scenes involving mechas and whatnot.

MeoTwister5 2011-08-24 02:34

Cowboy Bebeop's fight scenes, specifically the ones with Spike in it, are pretty damn impressive.

Crimrui 2011-08-24 05:04

You can try Claymore, Vision of Escaflowne and Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas.

GreatTeacherKen 2011-08-24 05:32

Macross Do You Remember Love?- movie version of the Macross TV series. It's not necessary to watch the TV series to get it, and it's quite different from the TV series anyway. Has some very well animated and spectacular space battles and dogfights.

Project A Ko- a pretty fun anime parody. The first half isn't as action packed, but the second half is almost non stop over the top action with tanks literally being thrown around, missile jumping and lots of stuff blowing up.

Semi-example:

Seirei no Moribito- while it's more slower moving and not really an action series, it does have a few fight scenes. However, the few fights it does have are extremely well-animated and impressive.

SeijiSensei 2011-08-24 08:09

There are large battle scenes in both Twelve Kingdoms and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, especially the latter. Guin Saga is another possibility.

kitten320 2011-08-24 10:07

I myself really liked fighting scenes in animes like:
Baccano
Claymore
Ga-Rei Zero
Samurai Champloo
Sword of the stranger

yellowscarves 2011-08-24 10:15

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

I'll start with Macross: Do You Remember Love? since it has a Gundam vibe to it, Birdy the Mighty: Decode for it's fight choreography and Sword of the Stranger because I especially enjoy fighting with swords.

I've seen everything related to Rurouni Kenshin, including Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. It was simply amazing.

I've heard Hunter X Hunter has some really great fighting, but I'll put that on my to-watch list for now with everything else since I'm not sure if I should watch that upcoming remake instead.

devildog23 2011-08-25 12:06

I always thought the fight scenes in Darker than Black were pretty good. Especially Gaiden OAVS. Hei is a great lead, mysterious and merciless, but shows his good heart every now and then.

There is really epic fight scene (probably one of my favorites) in Fate/Stay Night. Great female cast, main lead is okay and the "servants" are all pretty sick.

Karas: The Prophecy and Revelation unbelievably great fight scenes (except one, you'll know when you watch lol) but that is pretty much all there is. Characters are not developed greatly, but this is also because it is only a 6 ep OVA. Give it a shot the art and production values are great.

GreatTeacherKen 2011-08-26 08:32

I just remembered another one:

If you like sword fights, Jubei Chan the Ninja Girl series has some really impressive sword fights, especially the ones in the 2nd season, which are amazingly well animated and fast.