AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Shin Sekai Yori (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116378)

monir 2012-11-23 01:04

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Kazu-kun 2012-11-23 14:20

What a cliffhanger. Well, I'm pretty sure Saki will be ok because MC plot armor but will she be able to save Shun? We'll see...

Pretty dramatic episode in general. I liked it.

kuromitsu 2012-11-23 18:21

Great episode - and say whatever you want about the animation* even this time there were some very good and evocative stills which were used to great effect. I particularly liked these:

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread) (Uh, uneven sizes... I should've paid attention while scaling.)

Random observations:
Spoiler for ep 9.:

*OK, last time the animation was really crappy, but I survived that one episode of Kemonozume that must have been animated by a single person under half a day, I'll survive anything...

deadsea 2012-11-23 18:41

Nice episode, a lot info too and the animation was suitable. I love the scenary in this one!
Spoiler for spoilers :v:

Spoiler for preview:

kuromitsu 2012-11-23 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsea (Post 4448852)
Nice episode, a lot info too and the animation was suitable. I love the scenary in this one!
Spoiler for spoilers :v:

Spoiler for creeepy:

Theo 2012-11-23 22:25

Fucking awesome. 10/10.

Chills the whole way through. And the fucking title screen came up, ending the PROLOGUE. Holy shit.

Is Shun the Lich King now?

Saki went full Splinter Cell. Goddamn, girl; you make men want to abandon their waifus.

Shinsekai just got truly real.

Rosalena 2012-11-23 22:47

Well!

Episode 9 was certainly a return to form, in my opinion. I found myself experiencing the same set of emotions that I did with the first few episodes. It certainly helps that the animation didn't appear to be nearly as derpy as it has been recently. The shot of the moon at 19:38 and the use of flickering firelight on the trees was particularly well done.

That being said, I was a little bit confused about something so I hope someone can help me out so I better understand exactly what I saw.

Spoiler for explicit questions about episode 9:

Kazu-kun 2012-11-23 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosalena (Post 4449035)
Spoiler for explicit questions about episode 9:

The streamers are the holy barrier. I think the elders put that thing wherever they want and call it "holy barrier" so that the kids won't cross it. I bet they hide all sort of shit this way.

SeijiSensei 2012-11-23 23:32

People ask all the time in the Suggestions forum for horror anime. Might this one qualify? This whole episode was rather creepy.

Sometimes the soundtrack in this show is a bit overwrought, especially in the scene where Saki prepares to leave. Still I liked this episode more than most so far. The direction in the sequence where Saki and Satoru look for Shun leapt pretty quickly from one weird scene to another. I guess we're expected to fill in the blanks. That seems the modus operandi of Shin Sekai Yori pretty much from the start.

I presume given the level of stress both girls were under a bonobo event took place soon after Maria's arrival. I'm glad they didn't make a big deal of it, though they do like those giant facial closeups, don't they?

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Dark Wing 2012-11-24 00:19

oh wow that cliffhanger ending was heart stopping and can't wait for next week.

Saki started to remember what I assume to be one of her siblings.

Shun and his entire neighborhood has just been whipped form the face of the earth.

Saki gears up and goes to investigate Pinewind one more time on her own and runs into an unexpected guess.

Anyway it looks like this episode confirmed it's openly forbidden to speak about those who go missing. Which is why no one ever tried to think about where they went.

NoemiChan 2012-11-24 00:55

Spoiler for Spoiler just to be Sure; Kinda the summary of the episode:

Rosalena 2012-11-24 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 4449041)
The streamers are the holy barrier. I think the elders put that thing wherever they want and call it "holy barrier" so that the kids won't cross it. I bet they hide all sort of shit this way.

Thank you. That sounds . . . much less complicated than I thought :heh: For some reason I thought the streamers in combination with the tree was the Holy Barrier rather than the streamers themselves. I suppose it's because they had already passed so many (at the river and at the entrance to the forest) that the third set of streamers didn't strike me as especially special.

momonae 2012-11-24 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4449064)
Sometimes the soundtrack in this show is a bit overwrought, especially in the scene where Saki prepares to leave. Still I liked this episode more than most so far. The direction in the sequence where Saki and Satoru look for Shun leapt pretty quickly from one weird scene to another. I guess we're expected to fill in the blanks. That seems the modus operandi of Shin Sekai Yori pretty much from the start.

To do justice to the novel I think it needs at least 36 episodes in the first place. But I think this episode is most successfully made into anime so far. At least there is nothing omitted I noticed which is neccessary for the story and there is nothing misleading or confusing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4449064)
I'm glad they didn't make a big deal of it, though they do like those giant facial closeups, don't they?

I guess the animation can be made cheaply that way.

NoemiChan 2012-11-24 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by momonae (Post 4449130)
I guess the animation can be made cheaply that way.

I say fan service. Cause everyone knows the facts...:heh:

Rosalena 2012-11-24 01:23

I don't mind the frequent close-ups as long as the faces aren't wonky. When the faces are wonky and off-model it just rubs salt in the wound, haha. Thankfully this episode seemed to feature less of that than the last few (at least to my eyes).

momonae 2012-11-24 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosalena (Post 4449118)
I suppose it's because they had already passed so many (at the river and at the entrance to the forest) that the third set of streamers didn't strike me as especially special.

The first black and yellow ones are cordon ropes.

Allium 2012-11-24 03:37

What an intense, compelling episode, right all the way to that 'holy sh -' ending. I don't know if Shin Sekai Yori can be classified as horror, but this episode had some unsettling moments, such as the ghostly shadow of Maria at Saki's window, Saki's 'decayed-like' memories of her sister, and Saki's elongated shadow while she was standing amidst dead trees, holding a torch.

Other than that, the animation was much better this episode. The preview's visuals remind me of Madoka Magica, for some reason. I hope Shun isn't dead yet...

Izayoi 2012-11-24 04:44

Those beasts/cats doesn't look that frightening at all. Maybe Shun's necklace will help save Saki. I hope Shun is alive too. He is the only person who can wreck chaos into this "orderly" society and make this whole series slightly more interesting. However, I am afraid Shun is probably dead.

Edit: Oh and I like the ideological of killing people so people don't kill each other. How do they even come up with something like that?

Malkuth 2012-11-24 04:50

What cliffhanger... either Shun saves Saki, and becomes a karma-demon or Satoru does so and gets possessed :uhoh: My money is on the first, despite Saki's foreshadowing at the end of the 5th episode.

Background art was really good this time, like the first few episode. Character designs and animation better then the last episode, but still there are problems... not so many though.

Best thing is that direction and storytelling has improved a lot since episodes 5-7.

NoemiChan 2012-11-24 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izayoi (Post 4449282)
However, I am afraid Shun is probably dead.

No, please not that!!! If that happens, I'll boycott this.:heh:

I worst thing I could think of is Shun's turning into a "cat." And its Saki's unconditional love will lift the curse... Sweet!!!!:D