AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Internet Connection Sharing + Wireless Router (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=44640)

Sazelyt 2007-03-23 13:50

Internet Connection Sharing + Wireless Router

Anyone tried adding wireless router to the shared internet connection (or after the internet connection is shared)?

Since I do not want to keep the wireless router on all the time, I want to connect it to my shared connection (mainly by having two ethernet cards in one machine, one card is connected to the network, and the other, I connect it to the machine I want to connect to internet through the original machine), whenever I need it, for my laptop.

I didn't have time to work on that a lot, but the first time I tried to install the router, it gave an IP conflict problem (most probably, the router wants to claim the original machine's local IP, x.x.0.1). Anyway, if even after playing with the settings of both the router and main machine, it is still impossible to succeed that way, I do not want to spend a lot of time on that.

So, any opinions, whether it will work or not?

Ledgem 2007-03-23 13:58

I think it should be workable, given that you can chain routers to each other (although it's a bit different). I don't have any experience with using a PC as a gateway, but I think you might need to change something in the router's options, as if you were chaining it to another router.

Jinto 2007-03-23 14:34

Is your shared internet connection set up with a static IP or dynamic (e.g. dhcp)? Is the wireless router a dhcp device? Does it allow static binding?

Sazelyt 2007-03-23 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto Lin (Post 873706)
Is your shared internet connection set up with a static IP or dynamic (e.g. dhcp)? Is the wireless router a dhcp device? Does it allow static binding?

Internet connection sharing is based on dynamic IP assignment, although, it can also be used to perform static assignment. But, for the main DHCP server, since it is some functionality integrated to Windows, I don't think I'll be allowed to play with the settings a lot. Wireless router is also a DHCP device, but, it can also be used to bind IPs statically (based on MAC address I believe).

Vexx 2007-03-23 15:18

yeah..... my question is why would you *need* ICS after getting a wireless router since a wireless router:
1) does DHCP and NAT (and "real" IP routing)
2) usually has multiple ports for LAN connections
3) can protect the network behind it if it is properly secured.

ICS is band-aid service for people who don't/can't invest in a hub/router.
It isn't very robust (its easy to overwhelm with things like... torrents). It has no/terrible knobs for routing functions like portforwarding, etc.

If you're setting up a two-tier network (DMZ fronting an internal network).... you probably ought to go with two routers anyway for port application control.

If you really want to do this.... the network between your ICS computer and the router will have to be set to a IP subnet other than 192.168.0.X (ICS forces a win for use of 192.168.0.1 on the internal LAN card). The router should be able to handle working in another private range (like 10.0.0.X) so you'd set your PC's external net port to 10.0.0.2 and your router's internal net port to 10.0.0.1 for example.

192.168.0.X<--->[PC/ICS:192.168.0.1 -- 10.0.0.2]<--->[router:10.0.0.1 -- (IP assigned by ISP)]<->intarweb

Jinto 2007-03-23 15:37

I don't know what is the reason, but when Sazelyt wants to switch wireless network off, via switching off the router... well I won't question the thought.

The router is a DHCP server, the PC isn't (as far as I can tell). So the fastest way to deal with this, is to assign the router a static IP + assinging a static IP to the PCs second ethernet card (the one connected with the router). The IPs should be equal in the first 3 digit triplets (e.g. 192.168.10.xyz). But not in the subnet of the PCs ICS, Vexx mentioned this issue (but I suppose changing the third triplet should be sufficient) Subnetmask must be set according 255.255.255.0.
Deactivating DHCP in the router might not be a good idea, because of the wireless device, but it might conflict with the PC if it is on. Best option would be, to deactivate the routers DHCP server for the LAN stuff, and keep it running for the wireless stuff (but I suppose such a selective use of the DHCP server is not possible).
Well Sazelyt you need to try this setup, I am not 100% sure this will work.

Farix 2007-03-23 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazelyt (Post 873664)
Since I do not want to keep the wireless router on all the time, I want to connect it to my shared connection (mainly by having two ethernet cards in one machine, one card is connected to the network, and the other, I connect it to the machine I want to connect to internet through the original machine), whenever I need it, for my laptop.

So, any opinions, whether it will work or not?

Let's see if I got this strait. You want to turn off the WiFi access but keep the LAN access. The simplest way to do that would be to connect to the router and set the Wireless Network Mode to disable. At that point, the router will function as a wired router.

Sazelyt 2007-03-23 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 873736)
yeah..... my question is why would you *need* ICS after getting a wireless router since a wireless router:
1) does DHCP and NAT (and "real" IP routing)
2) usually has multiple ports for LAN connections
3) can protect the network behind it if it is properly secured.

Setting up a wireless network is not actually allowed in the place I currently stay, so I want to limit the usage of it.
Quote:

ICS is band-aid service for people who don't/can't invest in a hub/router.
It isn't very robust (its easy to overwhelm with things like... torrents). It has no/terrible knobs for routing functions like portforwarding, etc.
You are right, ICS is limited, but it is enough for what I am doing. Although I accidentally started using it, after my router started giving some problems, I didn't feel the need to switch back. Also, what you say about overloading is true (and not even torrent, but also IRC might also cause similar problems).

Quote:

If you really want to do this.... the network between your ICS computer and the router will have to be set to a IP subnet other than 192.168.0.X (ICS forces a win for use of 192.168.0.1 on the internal LAN card). The router should be able to handle working in another private range (like 10.0.0.X) so you'd set your PC's external net port to 10.0.0.2 and your router's internal net port to 10.0.0.1 for example.
I will check if the router is allowed to work on a different range. It was initially setup for the same range as the ICS. Before, I haven't tried changing the IP of the ICS to anything other than something from the given range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto Lin (Post 873752)
So the fastest way to deal with this, is to assign the router a static IP + assinging a static IP to the PCs second ethernet card (the one connected with the router). The IPs should be equal in the first 3 digit triplets (e.g. 192.168.10.xyz). But not in the subnet of the PCs ICS, Vexx mentioned this issue (but I suppose changing the third triplet should be sufficient) Subnetmask must be set according 255.255.255.0.

Thanks. I will try that over the weekend. Although, thanks to the insecurity windows gives, I am not very hopeful right now. (although another possible reason would be not having access to all the different types of available routers, to make a final decision)

Vexx 2007-03-23 17:19

...setting up a wireless network is not allowed in the place you stay....

good luck... the various tips should lead you to a solution but I don't even want to think about the concept of living quarters that "don't allow wireless networks" :)

Seriously... if your router has multiple LAN ports.. you don't even need the wireless part.